Operation booked

Posted , 6 users are following.

Well that's it i have had pre op and paid up all going ahead next weds 17th pelvic floor repair and poss hysterectomy. Any advice to prepare. 

1 like, 140 replies

140 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well done karen. The best advice I can give you is to relax and don't worry. Research shows that patients that go into surgery relaxed have the best outcome. Eat healthily and don't be constipated. Get all your magazines, DVD's at the ready and ask your friends and family to have a visiting/shopping rota.
    • Posted

Hi matron as I do suffer with bowels would it be advisable to start on stool softener  i asked the nurse doing pre op but she said dont worry if I need it after op they will give me something but I don't want to get to the stage where I can't go as worried about straining after op x
    • Posted

They always take a few days to work anyway and it's something I wish I had done.
    • Posted

I have lactulose in ready and dulcoease as a back up going to start on lactulose today x
    • Posted

Good luck Karen. Nerves kept me going the day before lol, but I have found the lactulose to be a great help. Had to cut the dose to just once a day though, as it was making me too 'windy'. Taking it just at bedtime seems fine. Drink lots of water and eat plenty ofresh fruit and Veg too.
    • Posted

Thank you. Yes it makes me windy too I will try at bedtime see if that helps 
    • Posted

If it does take the dulcoese because the last thing you want before and after surgery is wind.
    • Posted

I found lactulose made me windy laxido sachets were less inclined to do that for me. Good luck with your op. X
    • Posted

Not sure about Laxido. I have a feeling is prescription only but I would ask at the pharmacy. If they don't have any and it's available over the counter, they will order it for you.
    • Posted

Hi Matron, we have have those products here in australia, Lactulose and dulcoease, is the lactulose a stool softener or a laxative? Is Movicol the same? Is dulcoease for treating wind?

Apprecaite your help

Thanks

Val

• Posted

Hello tilley. Dulcoese and Movicol soften the stools but Lactulose softens the stools and acts as a laxative and would normally start working after about 12 hours. Dulcoese doesn't treat wind, you need something like Buscopan or Windeze for that.
    • Posted

Thanks for this, got help from my chemist. All set now. Keep smiling and I will keep posting. What a great forum this site is

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.