Orgasm: FloMax vs Post Op

Posted , 4 users are following.

With FloMax I have retrograde ejaculation, which is very anti-climatic in comparison to not being on FloMax. No release, lame intensity.

I'm looking at surgery, so there is always a chance of permanent retrograde ejaculation.

Does the orgasm, while on FloMax, feel the same as the orgasm experienced post op?

I don't care where the semen goes, but I do want to keep the intensity and release I get when I'm not on FloMax.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Question: Have you done any pelvic floor exercises?

(Do an internet search on "pelvic floor exercises orgasm men")

I had a holep procedure, have full RE, but all the intensity and sensations.. no regrets.

• Edited

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, 2 years worth, and tried just about every supplement and prescription out there.

My 3rd Uro said I have a large median lobe and I am essentially blocked. That means I need surgery, so I'm weighing my options before I see the surgeon next month.

I only have my FloMax retrograde ejaculation experience to feed from. Since I take FloMax on an as needed basis, I occasionally forget that I took it. The times which I had forgotten, and had sex, have been very anti-climatic and disappointing. It's so bad that I will not go near my wife,sexually, if I have taken FloMax.

Somewhere in my research I believe someone said the RE after a surgical procedure felt different/better than RE while on FloMax. Since I've only run across 1 instance of this, I posed the question to see what other have experienced.

• Posted

Definitions: are the following definitions accurate?

Ejaculation preserving:

Accomplished by leaving the tissue 1-2 cm from the Verumontanum (ejaculation ducts) and external sphincter untouched.

Retrograde Ejaculation:

Occurs when the bladder neck and/or bladder sphincter is damaged/operated on, thus compromising the neck or sphincter from their ability to function as they did pre-op. Fluid thus flows the path of least resistance, which is into the bladder.

• Edited

Post "ejaculation preserving" HoLEP 2 months. Orgasm has recovered a little, but not much. Contractions, but very little feeling. and no semen at all, and sometimes it actually hurts. Again, this is not retrograde, it is anagrade. I know you did not want to hear this. Still feel it was quite worth it, as I can pee great.

• Posted

Bill

You will almost certainly have RE.

My experience is that my orgasm and sexual satisfaction is almost identical to when I didn't have RE. I had TURP .

One challenge is to overcome the psychological aspect of ejaculating. A lot of men look down and the volume and strength of their ejaculate is closely linked to their sexual satisfaction. If that has been an important aspect of sexual satisfaction - whether when masturbating or with a partner - it will be a significant change.

For me, there is little difference on the quality of my orgasms post TURP. The benefits of TURP far outweigh the experience of now having RE.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply . I'm scheduled for a HoLep September 8th. I'm wondering how significant my life's going to change, Daily activities, sexual and I'm especially looking forward to getting some sleep. Currently, I'm up at least 2 hours a night going to the bathroom.

• Posted

All the best for the procedure. Mine was TURP, which i understand has essentially the same impact as HoLep. For me, the first week I peed blood. Unlike some guys, I did not have any clotting or significant bleeding. Nursing staff said to me that it was usual to not have much bleeding in 24 hours after surgery ... likely due to being fit and 59. What surprised me when i awoke was a very large catheter in which three other catheters were placed. For the time i was in hospital (36 hours) I had a constant wash of fluid going in and out.

I recovered my sexual interest after about 1 month, and was fully sexually active after about 6 weeks. But it probably took 4-6 months until I was feeling back to my old self sexually ... especially adapting to the small differences with orgasm. Some people report that orgasm while taking Flomax is a pretty negative experience. That was not my experience. But once I was off all related medications, I certainly had an improvement to orgasm and sexual satisfaction.

The psychology of sex is just as significant as the physiology of sex. Don't discount the psychological need and adjustments - even though it may seem minor.

Happy to share more if it ever helps (I have a PhD in sexology which comes in handy sometimes too)

• Posted

Thanks for the reply . I am on anticoagulants due to a mechanical heart valve. The HoLep, tends to have less post op bleeding than a TURP. Since the procedure will take place 5 hours from my home and I can only be off anticoagulants for 3 days, the Holep looks like the best option for me.

I'm basically in a similar physical condition you were in at the time of your procedure . I've been intermittent fasting since April, lost 14 lbs, which puts me at weight less than my high school days. I'm hoping my physical activity, weight loss and good diet will greatly enhance my recovery.

As a precaution, the doctor wants me to stick around town for 2 weeks after the procedure. I was hoping I would be able to go home a couple days after the procedure, like those that are not on anticoagulants.

Right now, I just want to get it over with and get on my life.

I've been in limbo for a little over 3 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.