Ovarian cyst pain, referred? Really anxious...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all!

For the past week and a half I've had a weird pain in my upper right quadrant - it feels like the kind of stitch that you get from running, but higher up (under the ribs). No other symptoms at all, though it tends to hurt all, or most, of the day. Eating/not eating, etc, doesn't seem to impact it at all (nor what I eat or when). It does tend to get better overnight, but then I wake up in the morning and it's almost like being upright with gravity starts it up again. Pushing on that area doesn't hurt either. I thought it was gallstones, but nothing else seems to align with gallbladder issues other than the location of the pain.

Well, a few days ago the pain migrated down as well, and now I have a painful sensation in my lower right quadrant (around my pelvis), which feels like aching or burning. I also still feel the upper quadrant pain from time to time - sometimes they occur in tandem, and sometimes it's just that lower right pain. No other symptoms, still. But still happens all or most of the day.

I should mention that I am about 5 months postpartum, and while I got my period back last month, I seem to have skipped this month's so far (not pregnant), but the pain in my upper right side did start around the time that I think I should've gotten my period if it were already regulated. I also want to mention that when I was 4 weeks pregnant, I ended up with an ovarian cyst that hurt enough for me to go to the ER (thinking that it might be an ectopic pregnancy). I think it felt similar to this, and I did actually have a little bit of upper right pain then as well, but not to the extent that I have it now (ie, the upper pain is worse and more prolonged now than it was a year ago).

I do have a scan and bloodwork coming up in the next few days, but I've been so anxious in the meantime picturing every worst case scenario... I keep panicking about it randomly throughout the day. Is it possible that I have a cyst again and the pain is just getting referred up?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.