Ovarian cyst, possibly ruptured but I'm worried

Posted , 1 user is following.

March 28th I went to the ER with severe pain that started in my upper abdomen and spread to my right side, becoming downright unbearable. I assumed it was appendicitis, although I should note I had started my period about 2 days prior. Abnormal blood work lead to a CT scan where they found my appendix inflamed but behind it an ovarian cyst measuring 4.3 cm. CT tech said it was hemmoragic, ultrasound tech said it was simple. No pelvic exam, in fact no doctor even touched me the entire time I was there (except nurses to do IV, triage and a shot of tordol). Got sent home with ibuprofen, being told it would just go away on it's own and that was that. Later on I discovered my white blood cell count was high (17.4) and a whole lot of other parts of my blood work were too high or too low.

During the next 6 weeks my period went from normal to a brown mucus littered with small clots multiple times every day. Cramping came and went, fatigue got stronger than usual for me, I bloated on and off so severely I would at times look about 5 months pregnant. Then one day while inserting a tampon I felt like it was pushing another one in, so assuming I was stupid and forgot to take my previous one out I went on a fishing expedition. I found what felt like an unknown mass, and when I touched it I just about hit the ceiling from pain, and I cramped for hours afterwards. I called and set up a follow up appointment with an OB.

A few days before my appointment I stopped passing clots (figures), and thought I'd see if maybe having sex with my husband wouldn't hurt (although it was a fear). Well, it did, and I cramped for hours afterwards. 2 days later I decided to check on that unknown whatever it was that hurt, I found it again and yes, again felt pain when I touched it followed by cramps.

I'm terrified at this point, that something is wrong. And honestly I still am even after my doctor's appointment which was today. I went in, explained everything to him and he preformed a pelvic exam and pap smear. According to him, there's no mass that he could see or feel inside me, my birth control (Nexplanon implant) could have caused my clots (which has never happened before and I've had it twice, once for 2 years and this time it's been about 18 months), and he felt no cyst. So his speculation is that my cyst ruptured and I've been feeling weeks of after pain. He is having me get a second ultrasound, but it has yet to be scheduled. However, his presumption doesn't make sense to me, it wasn't ruptured during the most extreme pain I was having, and having all these wacky symptoms for almost 2 months now seems a bit prolonged.

I feel like it's all in my head, maybe I Googled too much and got myself worked up over it, but the pain, the fatigue, the feeling something is just not right is real. I don't know what to do at this point, I'm scared I could have something worse than an ovarian cyst, but I feel like if the tests all come back showing nothing I'm going to be stuck with this pain and no one will believe me anymore. I'm scared and lost, am I over thinking this, or are my concerns not as far fetched as they seem to be?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.