Ovarian Torsion: My experience

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello all,

I often see posts about ovarian cysts but rarely do I see stories on ovarian torsion so I wanted to share my story and what I experienced during my recovery. please note this is just my experience everyone is different.

A couple of months before I was diagnosed with ovarian torsion, I began to experience a dull ache in my lower right abdomen. The ache was unusual but also inconsistent, because it wasn't anything severe I didn't think anything of it (please don't do this !!). One morning I woke up feeling a sharp pain in my lower right abdomen and right thigh, I honestly thought it was cramps so I took some Feminax and went about my day. Within 45 minutes (literally !!) the pain became very severe (on a scale of 1-10 it was a 10). I still just thought it was really bad cramps so I grabbed a hot water bottle, but that did nothing. When I became nauseous I knew that something was wrong. I immediately called 111 to get help. They sent out an ambulance and within a couple of hours I was in A & E. I took any pain killer that I could get, as pain was not budging. Despite me telling the nurse that I did not experience the most if not all symptoms for either diagnoses, I was told that it could be kidney stones or a UTI ( from the few stories I've seen ovarian torsion is often misdiagnosed as a UTI or Kidney stones ). After some blood work the Doctor finally came to examine me, after me explaining my symptoms and pain severity. I was admitted and sent to to the Gynae ward to get examined. The following day I was taken for a scan, they discovered a large cyst in my right ovary. This cyst was weighing my ovary down which ultimately caused my ovary to twist (ovarian torsion) I was taken to theatre that day, in all efforts to save my ovary. This all took place during Covid so I was really alone as no one could stay with me (understandably so) . I honestly couldn't process anything at time. I remember crying when they told me I had to go into surgery and the potential outcome. But I understand that it was their job to tell me the truth. I was just very emotional and felt very alone.

After surgery, I was taken to a new ward to recover, I remained in hospital for two days.

The initial aftermath of surgery wasn't bad as I was put on morphine and I was pretty out of it most of the time. However, following my discharge the recovery has been rough physically and mentally. It has been 6 weeks since my surgery, I get constant aches, and pains that pain becomes severe if I over exhaust myself, sudden weight-loss, extreme anxiety and mood swings. I am told that it's just a part of the recovery and that I should be healed soon. My GP had mentioned that for some women the recovery period can go as far as 3 months. With my job being so " physically demanding", I am currently not in a position to go back (managements response to this has been devastating, but that's another story! ) I will provide an update soon. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer them.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.