Ovary problems, bloating and first GP appointment

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. Sorry to launch straight off with a bunch of questions.

I've had some unusual symptoms for a few months. The most troubling is needing to wee a lot. And I mean A LOT. Plus, the feeling that I'm not fully emptying my bladder.

I had already decided that enough was enough and I should see a doctor. I would go to the toilet and then immediately after standing up I'd feel the urge to go again. I could go 20-40 times a day. Then I recalled I'd had some other vague symptoms too that I'd kind of overlooked and maybe I should mention that too. I've had some pelvic pain, bloating and heartburn. Lower back pain, hip pain on the same side, sometimes a dull ache on the right side after sex. And, come to think of it, I do feel full quickly these days. I do know I have some fluid in my peritoneal cavity from an MRI I had a year ago (looking for sacroiliitis due to lower back pain) which the radiologist reported was "likely physiological". I have a history of corpus luteum cysts.

I've had IBS for 20 years so bloating isn't unusual for me, but this feels different. I wouldn't, however, say it was persistent in the sense of permanent. I feel it every day, but it's worse at certain times.

I'm not overly worried about it at the moment, but I know I have a lot of symptoms of ovarian cancer. But I also know these are not very specific symptoms and I'm 40 and ovarian cancer is unlikely and it's much more likely to be something else. A friend of mine, only a few years older than me, died this time last year of ovarian cancer so I also know it's not entirely outside the realms of possibility.

So I'd be interested to know how to go about talking to my doctor about this and how to make sure ovarian cancer is ruled out. I have no idea what to expect. How do I make sure nothing is missed? Does anyone know what might happen when I see my GP next week? How do I know if my GP has covered everything?

Thank you for any advice you can give.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

when u go to the doctors ask them if u can get a vaginal ultrasound it will show a good picture of the ovaries that is what it sounds like to me cause i had the same symptom before i had mine removed i hope this helped u if u need anything else just ask

• Posted

hi i would tell your gp that you're concerned about ovarian cancer.

they should do s ca125 blood test (which can be raised if you have an infection) .

Tell them your symptoms and go from there.

Hopefully it won't be anything cinister but you won't be able to put it out if your mind until you get checked out.

• Posted

HELLO ELBMO, I 'NO ITS BEEN A COUPLE OF MONTHS BUT HOW DID YOU GET ON WITH YOUR SYMPTOMS AT THE DOCTORS BECAUSE I HAVE THE SAME SYMPTOMS AS YOU .

• Posted

Hi. My CA125 was normal at 32 and I was given some bladder training exercises which are helping. My bloating has improved with diet. No signs of cysts or growths.

The GP thinks some of the pain might be caused by adhesions from where my appendix was removed. I am content that we've ruled out anything serious for now, which is what I wanted. Good luck with yours - I didn't need to ask my doctor for anything in the end. I just told her my symptoms and she tested everything I was hoping she would.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.