Ovary removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi i had my left ovary removed on the 15th of Nov and been off work since, i was given a 6 week sick line to begin with and yesterday it was extended by another 2 weeks.

How long have others been off work after having a ovary removed? my work is very heavy and have a lot of lifting to do i am worried people are thinking that i am faking it but i really don't feel ready to go back!

I'm still in a lot of pain some days and when i do to much, things are worse

i know we are all different but i am just looking to see how long others took xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I had both ovaries, lymph nodes and omentum removed last year and was off work sick for 10 weeks. I do a desk based job. I was shocked how long it took me to recover as had had a hysterectomy a few years before and I was fine within 6 weeks. I should point out that part of my problem this time was that my stitches burst open and I had to wait for it to heal as they couldn't stitch it back up for fear of trapping infection in it. Don't go back to work until you are ready as it could cause you problems later on.

• Posted

I had a laparotomy to remove my left ovary and also have a manual job. I was off for 11 weeks in total. My advice would be not to go back until you feel truly ready. I honestly didn't feel completely healed until around the 6 month mark. I'm now nearly 18 months post op and still get the odd twinges! xx

• Posted

thank u so much for your reply i have been getting really angry and annoyed at myself for still feeling so rubbish after 6 weeks.

I plan to be off until i feel fully ready because i dont want to go back and end up hurting myself x

• Posted

did u feel like you were doing ok then go back to having the pain like when the op was first done? i feel worse than i did 2 weeks ago x

• Posted

I've only been out 3 1/2 weeks from surgery and I feel like this pain will never end! I know you are reaching out for people who have had longer recovery, but I m dying over here. So when you recover can you post it? I feel horrible! It feel better.

• Posted

oh i hope your pain eases soon! my pain eased a bit after a couple of weeks and felt like i was ok to go back to work then i done too much and was sore again! im now almost 7 weeks in and the pain has been awful for about 5 days and its worse when i lie down,

• Posted

i'm really sorry to hear this, not for me, but for you! Honestly many women have said the same as you. Thank you for being honest. not a lot of info out there. my nurse said to bend knees and put pillows under them. hearing AD, but im sure you know.

i am grateful that my cyst was benign,

I would have surgery again.

Feel better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.