Overactive thyroid, on tablets but struggling

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have recently started carbimazole and propanalol for an overactive thyroid and anxiety.

I had mild anxiety before but since i started the meds i feel terrible and anxious almost 24/7.

The adrenaline feeling comes on at times , my heart isn't doing too badly bpm wise but i feel like my throat is weak and sore, my chest is wheezy and i have butterflies in my heart. I'm really fatigued.

So much worse than before and been on them 3 weeks.

I don't know if the thyroid has got worse or if the meds don't suit me.

Is it normal to still feel so bad after a month.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Hi Woody71, hope you are doing better in the meantime. When I was hyperthyroid I was very agitated and hyper nervous. After my thyroid level normalized I was ok again. In my case, it took well over a month for my thyroid levels to come down. Carbimazole reduces the production of thyroxine but the body stores plenty of this hormone and it has be used up over time.

Btw, I was diagnosed with Grave's disease. There are other thyroid disorders that can cause hyperthyroidism. If you have questions, please feel free to ask.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.