Pain 8 weeks after L5SI fusion

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All,

I am brand new to this forum.  I am about 8 weeks post-op from an L5 S1 fusion for spondylosethesis.  I am still in a lot of pain - mostly around the surgical site.  I am also still on regular doses of pain meds.  My surgeon said I'd be feeling great and back to work after 2 weeks.  I ended up taking about 3.5-4 weeks off, and now am working some from home and less hours.  I am staying with my parents, as I haven't been able to drive or do household chores.  Has anyone else had pain this long post-op?  My surgeon says x-rays look fine, but I am concerned.  Thanks for any advice or thoughts!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello,

I think for the most part surgeons tell us we'll "be feeling great in no time". If it weren't for this forum we'd never no all the pain & discomfort some have.  I had an XLIF, lower lumbar, almost 3 weeks ago and I'll be honest and say it was painful (I'm also having issues with a total knee teplacement) and I took my pain meds round the clock for the first week, then I weaned myself off the pain meds and now I take Advil. Although I'm retired I could never have gone back to work or do household chores within a few weeks.  I still have to wear my back brace till the end of the month and I'm fortunate my hubby was able to take time off from work to be home with me.  Hope you'll soon be feeling better!

• Posted

Thank you, Patty!  I appreciate your insight and hope you start feeling better son.  
  • Posted

Hi Krista, I was fused from L2 to S1 and while I know that is much more than you had done, one thing I learned is that everyone heals at their own pace. Just because the docs say you should be at a certain point in your recovery doesn't mean you are. Work hard at your recovery, walk walk walk, and give yourself the rest and nurturing it needs! Be thankful for each and every little bit of progress you notice! I hope this helps, even just a bit! Hang in there! You WILL get better! Hugs!
    • Posted

Thanks so much for the encouragement - I really appreciate it!  I hope your recovery is going OK.
  • Posted

Krista,

Eight weeks is early. I am at almost three months and can tell you that the surgical site should go away. My doctor never prescribed PT, but I hear on this forum that  it's important. Cold and hot were and are what I find to be helpful. I, too, am staying with parents. I am going to try alone for about a month, but working? Ha! There is no way I can work (I have complications of nerve pain in my left calf and foot). My doctor also said I would be working soon, but my PCP has overruled this and I see her every other week for pain and nerve pain control. Hope this helps! Lisa

• Posted

Thanks Lisa - I hope you are starting to feel better finally.  I'm sorry about your complications!  I keep thinking that I may have some sort of complication but the dr is not very responsive.  I am starting PT next week, so hopefully that helps!  Good luck on your recovery!
    • Posted

Lisa - I forgot to ask what procedure you had.  We are lucky to have family to stay with.  I don't know how I could have handled post-op home alone!
    • Posted

Hi Krista - my first procedure was a cevical fusion and then I had two L4-L5 discectomies. This last one was an L5 - S1 fusion and decompression. You are so right about family; my mom and dad have been so helpful. I am going home tomorrow too try things on my own. I am nervous, but excited to go home. I still have back pain and (as I said) have what I think is neuropathy  in my left calf and foot. Not quite sure how I'll do some things, but I will try. I still take a couple of naps a day. smile
    • Posted

Feel free to check in whenever and let me know how you are doing. Make sure and rest and only do what you can. 

• Posted

Hi Krista

I am sorry to hear you are having problems following your surgery and I do hope you recover, as mentioned by others everyone recovers at there own speed so I hope eventually for you this happens.

I had an L5S1 spinal fusion and stabilisation in September 2014, my scars hurt for about 10 weeks, at week 8 my staples where taken out and I think these added to my pain ( 52 staples on each scar). For the following 6 months I worked hard at getting my core strength up, my surgeon recommended swimming, I found just treading water at shoulder height was best but strokes where to painful, he also told me to avoid walking to much but to do a upright exercise bike. At 6 months i was still not able to go back to work and I still had considerable pain in my back and legs, I went back to see my surgeon and he did X-ray and MRI, the X-ray showed the metal work was in the same place, the MRI showed I had scar tissue and a bulge in L5 and L4, but he said he couldn't operate on it further, I sought a second opinion and they said the bulges they felt where in a to difficult position to now operate on due to where the metal work is. I am now 18 months after my operation, and have been told I have failed back surgery,!I have been seeing a pain team on a regular basis, injections and pain medication, in fact I am now on more pain relief than I was before, it has also been confirmed I have permanent nerve damage to my right leg and have lost all sensation in my foot which won't rtn. I am unable to rtn to my job and have now given this up, but I am mentally strong and will just learn to live with things going forward.

Krista, this is my story but I really do hope You have a better 1 than me, I am told 1 in 50 that has this type of surgery it fails, so you have a great chance of being ok.

I hope my story doesn't scare you but wanted to share my story.

Keep us updated and I wish you and all others good luck and best wishes for your recovery.

Regards

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing your story.  I am so sorry for your failed surgery and complications.  I admire your strength in dealing with this horrific and tough result!  Again, I am so sorry.  I hope someday you improve.  Thanks for your well wishes and encouragement.
    • Posted

Hey Krista

You are more than welcome, I forgot to say i had something called degenerative disc disease, this is what caused my spinal problems to start with, when my discs prolapsed the first time I was walking up a flight of stairs and ended up with Caudia equiner

• Posted

Sorry finger slipped then I had Caudia equina so had a discectomy on l4/l5 and s1, after they did this they suggested the fusion, for me it was a no brainier to have the operation, my surgeon told me at the time 70% get better and 30 % either have the same pain or it becomes worse. I was a roofer for 15 yrs and they think that I abused my body over the yrs in lifting and that's why my spine is very poor. I forgot to ask what caused your problems ??, how far along are you now?? Where are you from, the reason I ask is that different countries have different follow ups??

Best regards

George 😀

• Posted

I have spondylosethesis - my surgeon doesn't know the cause.  He believes it could be an old cheerleading injury from high school - or something else.  I also have issues with my upper discs - degenerative disc disease, annular tear, scoliosis, arthitis facet.  For now, surgeon suggested just fusing the lowest level.  I am about 9 weeks post surgery (11/3).  I am in the US.
    • Posted

Hey. we have exactly the same problem apart from scoliosis. I live in the UK and I am 37 yrs of age, I have a 6 yr old girl and a 3 yr old little boy, I have no choice but to stay strong for them, they pick up on my pain and it makes them both cry when I can't get out of bed or I am on to much medication so feel drowsy on top of no sleep as for me I find the pain awful at night time and sleep on average 2 hrs a night. Do you have a pain team that you can see or you are seeing, my pain team are fantastic and nothing is to much to help me and they sympathise and understand the problems. The reason I ask is because it has taken me a longtime to get my medication right and in the UK they were hiding a drug from me as they don't like giving it that often, but it has helped easy my pain and let me function a little better, it will never be enough to rtn to work but enough to let me live a life, I also see a psycology team on coming to terms with living with long term pain as I am still very young and it helps talking to people in the same circle of life. I can try to suggest what I am having but not really sure how your healthcare works, do you have to pay for it or do you have a policy to help??

X

• Posted

I do have insurance. My surgeon just referred me to a pain management center, so I am going to try that.  Thanks!
    • Posted

In the Uk there is a drug called Targinact this is an opiate based drug but they don't like to give it as it costs the NHS to much money, I got my pain team to give it to me as on my other opiate medication i felt drowsy all the time, targinact has the antidote in for the opiate and it is one of the best pain relief medication I am on, I am on the highest dose 40/20mg but honestly it helps with the back pain, for the leg / feet pain I take lots of medication but find for me 100mg of Amertriptiline 1 hr before helps relax you , be careful as this is andrug that makes me a little sleepy next day, the other drug I find is good is Pregablin. I have also just been put through to have something called a spinal cord stimulator for my neuropathic pain, it's a very. Small operation, they place small wires in to the spinal cord on to the pain receptors, the main part of the unit is then left just under the skin, once activated and on it sends small currents to the nerve endings and sends this back to the brain, what it does is stops the brain being told when we have pain, I am told if successful it can stop you being on lots of medication, but mainly helps you stand/sit and walk fairly pain free.it's only just become available in the Uk so there isn't a lot of research on if it works well. I hope this helps you a little bit. Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.