Pain 8 weeks after L5SI fusion

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All,

I am brand new to this forum.  I am about 8 weeks post-op from an L5 S1 fusion for spondylosethesis.  I am still in a lot of pain - mostly around the surgical site.  I am also still on regular doses of pain meds.  My surgeon said I'd be feeling great and back to work after 2 weeks.  I ended up taking about 3.5-4 weeks off, and now am working some from home and less hours.  I am staying with my parents, as I haven't been able to drive or do household chores.  Has anyone else had pain this long post-op?  My surgeon says x-rays look fine, but I am concerned.  Thanks for any advice or thoughts!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Krista - back to work after 2 weeks!  Thats nuts.  It takes 6-8 weeks to recover from a spinal fusion  Has your doctor done a follow up MRI to make sure the fusion took?  Mine has failed twice, and the neurosurgeon I just went to said to leave it.  I no longer work by the way because it is too painful to sit.  I tried to for about 6 months after my 2nd L5-S1 fusion (the first fusion was actually from L2-S1), but I stopped after having my neurostimulator put back in, (which doesn't work because that surgeon put it in the wrong place).  I tried sitting (can't do that), standing (can't do that long because of the neuropathy in my foot), kneeling on my chair which I could tolerate for a while but it was difficult to keep my balance, and flip through multiple screens while on the phone with screaming customers, so I finally stopped working a little over a year ago, and I'm waiting on social security disability.  If you are still in pain, I wonder if the fusion failed.  You definitely need a follow up MRI or CT scan to make sure the fusion took.  That's what I would recommend.  Good Luck.

• Posted

Hey Linda

I hope you don't mind me contacting you.😝

I have replied to Krista already, I had a discectomy in 2014 following massive pain since 2010, final after seeing 3 surgeons the 3rd one realised that in 2010 I had an anueal tare in l4 also a ruptured disc, also I had l5/s1 prolapse. In January 2014 he requested a further MRI this showed massive bulges and Caudia equiner and operated immediately with a discectomy, I remained in pain until I dropped my daughter at school and walking to the car park I felt something go and collapsed and rushed to hospital I was given a double level spinal fusion, discectomy and stabalistationband 4 cages/springs in,after about 6-8 weeks I tried to rtn to work but I just couldn't handle the back pain and more so the leg pain, I rtn to my surgeon and he ordered a further scan and it showed further disc prolapse higher up, and at L4/5 and s1, I don't understand and still don't how i keep getting prolapse discs that I was told was removed, but the NHS covers it self and says that sometimes it's hard to remove all and it then try's to heal!!! it also showed scar tissue, but the biggest problem was that as the surgery was left so long I had major nerve damage, the nuero surgeons have advised I will never get feeling back in my feet and will have the severe burning pain in both legs to the knee, I agree with you it's so painful and I find people around me struggle to comprehend the pain we have, I on average get 2-3 hrs broken sleep a night. I have been offered the spinal cord stimulator but have never met anyone else as of yet, can you perhaps explain what happens and if they have found any benefit from it ( I understand you haven't) I have been told here in the Uk I will have to have a 2 week in stay in hospital, to discuss what it does, mentally how it effects you and if it doesn't work how to deal with it. I hate all this pain, I have a 3 yrs old boy and a 6 yrs. old girl, I find it a struggle to play with them, go to events or even the park for a walk,!i can't drive as to painful and as mentioned gave up work at the age of 37.

• Posted

Hi,

The reason my neurostimulator doesn't work right is because the surgeon put it in the wrong place.  The first one i had worked pretty good for my leg pain (this was after my first back surgery - I did not have the femoral nerve damage then - just the "regular" leg pain, achiness, tiredness and weakness from an injured back.  I liked the tingling sensation.  I also did not have much neuropathy then.  Oh those were the good old days before 2012. But the first surgeon left half a disc at L5 which eventually collapsed and I had to have a very complicated set of 3 surgeries over a 2 day period - the lateral fusion, cage, etc on the left side - this is he one where he damaged my femoral nerve, the arterial fusion (through my stomach) and the L2-S1 fusion of my back. Aftwards the doctor refused to give me any additional pain meds other than what I was on before i came. So I was in so much pain, I literally could not move for 9 days.  My left knee had pulled itself up to my chin, and I couldn't put it down on the floor, and tbey were making me use a walker to go to the bathroom.  They finally moved me by ambulance to a physical rehab place, and the pain mgmt doctor there immediately tripled my pain meds (just while I was in rehab).  Thank you.  Anyway, I can put my leg on the floor now, but the deep burning and aching has never gone away. I cannot drive either due to the severe neuropathy and pain in my right foot.  And, my 3rd major area of pain is the SI joint.  I cannot sit for any length of time.  Mine is the result of 2003 car accident.  I was 49 then, and I'm 61 now.  The first year or so you keep thinking it will get better.  Then the next 5-10 years or so, you keep looking for the miracle answers. You stop complaining about your back because everyone you know is sick of hearing it. So sorry that you are so  young.  I have a 2 year old and a 12 year old granddaughter.  I can't play with them.  I used to be so active, I climbed a mountain, hiked 7 days in the grand canyon, I used to walk up and down the foothills every day, I got a master's degree and I used to park my  car 2 miles away at my daughter's daycare and walkl/run to college every day - even in the snow.  I was a gymnast when I was  younger.  I used to love to go visit Sedona, go gold panning with my boyfriend, go to the zoo, do everything I could with my grandchildren, and now I just can't.  I tell my daughter that I CAN'T carry my granddaughter, yet she asks me to carry her in from the car all the  time when I'm visiting.  I was in so much pain on Christmas  Day, I had to go lay in bed while the family was upstairs unwrapping presents and eating dinner!  I left my vacation 2 days early!    I don't get sleep either - it's 2:30 am here in US - Arizona.  I sleep a couple hours at at a time, and I take Trazodone and tizanidine.  Doctors don't  understand - I had to go to a  new doctor who immediaately started cutting my pain meds.  So are you getting the Medtronic Neurostimulator? Not the NEVRO? I only had to stay in the hospital 2 days for mine.  Pain not bad at all - just the surgery site for a couple of days.  The neurostimulator helps your legs - you feel tingly feeling. You have to keep meeting with the medtronic reps to get it adjusted - after a few months, they can add different features which are very nice.  I actually liked the tingly feeling, except in my feet - it aggravates the neuropathy.  Like I said, the 2nd neurostimulator was put in the wrong place, and it only works from my knees to my ankles, does not help my legs.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your reply.  I am so sorry for your failed fusion and difficulties - that is horrible.  So far, I have only had two x-rays since surgery.  My surgeon said they looked good - and everyone recovers differently.  I have followed up a few times about the continued pain, but he still thinks I am early enough in recovery, and tells me not to worry.  I am going to start physical therapy and hope for the best!  Working has been very difficult - sitting for long periods at a computer is so tough.  I am easing back into it as much as I can.  Thanks for your advice.  If I still do not improve by my next follow up, I will ask for an MRI.  Wouldn't it be too soon to tell Iif the fusion failed - since the fusion process takes some time?  Thank you and best of luck.

• Posted

Yeah, 8 weeks out is a little soon to see if the fusioN failed! More like 6-8 months! But going back to work after 8 weeks is a little rough too. My doctor had me wait 4-6 months after my fusions, but I had so many! Doctors push us too hard to return to work, I think insurance tells them wh at to do!  Good luck to you! I had to quit work because I just could not sit for long periods of time at the computer.  You try standing for a while, but that's hard too.  Take care!

• Posted

i know it is a long time ago but how is your back pain / mobility now 8 years post op? I'm down to have this op soon. Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.