Pain on inside of knee 13 weeks post-op

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a left TKR on 21/01/2016 and has been doing well until last week when I developed pain below the knee close to the inside of my leg.  The pain is excruciating when I lift my leg off the floor when walking or even when I am sitting and try to lift my foot off the floor.  Standing for any period of time is difficult and when I start walking after standing even for a few minutes it is pure agony.  My pt gave me excersises for a pinched nerve in my lower back that invloves bending my upper body forward and letting my harms hang towards the floor.  The moment I bend over the pain kills me and I have to stop.  It almost feels like the pain I had before the TKR but far worse.  I have been using my TENS for the past three days, elevated the leg, iced etc. but the swelling isn't going down and the pain is not getting better.  Has anybody experienced something similar?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi 

Yes I had mine done end of August and after a nightmare journey it all started to feel a bit better .until i had what you it passes now i have pain in my calf and right up into my bottom ... I have seen the surgeon he said its all part of the healng nerves healing ect He said the scar on he outside is the easy bit !! Its all the damage inside that takes the time He told me 1 year to 18months before really starts to feel better 

We just have to keep going I have prosponed the other knee !!! Till i feel much better 

• Posted

Thank you Delia, I am sorry to hear that you had the same thing!  On one hand I feel that patients should be better prepared by doctors for what is coming but I suppose that nobody would then even consider having a TKR...
    • Posted

I totaly agree with that! It would be better to know what to expect but i dont think many of us would of gone through with it! Although there are a lot of people who have the 2nd knee done! So lets all hang in there! It must be worth it in the end! Im 10 wks post op and got to say its diff everyday! Im hoping to walk with my hubby later with the dogs! He wil hold them but i so miss seeing them run free!
    • Posted

I have had both knees done first one 13 months ago which is fine no pain whatsoever 2nd  was done 5 weeks ago if this one is as good I will be very happy 
    • Posted

Thats brilliant im pleased for you! I need my other knee done eventually but its still so fresh in my mind! I will do but not yet!
    • Posted

You soon realize that surgeons operate and then they are through. If you want pain relief you are better off seeing a primary care Dr. They know more about the levels and combinations above the basic drugs that are dispensed after surgery. I don't have any actual figures but from my conversations with post surgery patients I have found close to 50% had problems with the meds that were originally prescribed. I was fortunate with a surgeon that allowed me to call the shots on doseage. He prescribed oxycodone in 5 mg increments and let me go from 5 -25 mg. It worked for me. If meds aren't working ...get back to the Dr at once. No need for complications or not having the proper doseage in today's world.
    • Posted

I couldn't agree with you more ,l said that on an earlier posting that the consultant should be more explicit just saying it will be painful is not enough.We all seem to be suffering l am 15 wks p/0 bk to work 3 wks but l still have pain on my calf and thigh but also on the inner side of the op knee.obviously l can tell l am improving but it's so slow l won't have my second knee done untill this experience is a distant memory.
  • Posted

Hi Meraai

I had my TKR on 12th Jan. I also suffered pain on the inside of my knee. I was told that it was because I was using muscles that had not been used from a while. It took time but it did ease up. I used the ice pack constant whist the pain was there.

Hope this has helped

• Posted

Thanks Delia, I just found it strange because it started all of a sudden.  Just when you think you are well on your way to recovery and (almost) back to normal there is something new!
    • Posted

Hi Kim l had my op 6/1/16  l am bk to work 3 wks but l am still in pain my calf and thigh but also on inside of my operated knee,l also was told its because you are using muscles that have not previously been used,l exercise ice and take painkillers ,
  • Posted

If you have a pain management clinic or Dr close by that you can see as an emergency or get to an emergency room I would suggest do it. Definately sounds like a pinched nerve and needs to be looked at
    • Posted

I have a lot of respect for your opinion because of all your 'experience', thank you for taking the time to reply to my query.  We have a public holiday in South Africa today but I will definitely have it checked out tomorrow!
  • Posted

Dear Meraai

I had right knee done two years ago, I was never satisfied with the result of the operation, but  had to put up with it, had no choice.  I am 70 years young, member of two gyms. Everything was going more or less Ok, but suddenly I had the same symptoms as you. Could not walk, bearing weight on the leg was very painful. I had to elevate the knee, use ice, at work and at home, take tramadol for it.  It lasted 3 days. Knee and below the knee was very swollen.  Even my foot and callf was painful.  Then today, sudenly - all gone.  Till the next time, i suppose.

I am booked for second TKR (left leg) on 23.5.16. I hope it will go better. My right knee bends around !00%.  I have a big lump on the outside of my knee. Knee is always swollen. I had prjoblems with quads, I tore them few months ago. For some reason when walking  a bit further than 100 m, my lower back is killing me.  I have been always very sporty, although quite overweight, still very supple, because I have done exercises all my life.  I am seeing a doctor at Stanmore tomorow, I wonder what they will tell me. Probably not much.

I hope that you pain willgo soon like mine went.

All the best - Grace

• Posted

Hi Grace

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.  I have swelling of the lower leg and foot despite the fact that I had the leg elevated and iced for most of the day yesterday.  My surgeon and pt are both on leave till next week so I will try and get serious pain meds and anti-inflammatories from my pharmacy in the meantime.

Good luck with your second TKR, I hope everything goes smoothly this time around!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.