Pain under left rib, back pain, bowel change. Worried!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Ive been feeling unwell for over a year. I had my second child in Jan 15 by c section. In the spring I had mastitus followed by a horrible bout of laryngitis!

Since then I cant remember feeling well. The most worrying symptom is a (now almost) constant discomfort under my left rib, made worse by eating but always there in some way.

My stools are usually soft, or normal follwed by a soft motion usually first thing in the morning. Ive also experienced bouts of mucus but only blood one, which was after a large stool.

Stools have sometimes been on the yellow side sometimes normal. Occasionally they can be small and wrinkly as if dehydrated. Passing stool doesnt usually help the pain.

I always have lots of gas, sometimes i can hear it from the outside. It feels like it is bubbling where the pain is.

I have suffered with lightheadedness this past year, it is not so bad recently but i have found it very hard to deal with, like i am walking around in a constant fog!

I get occasional bouts of nausea and have always suffered with migraines.

I have seen a gp 7 times in the last year, they say IBS, stress, gallbladder. I had full blood tests at the start and an abdominal ultrasound which found nothing. I have had abdominal and rectal examinations which were normal.

I was finally referred to a consultant buy to my dismay it is a colo-rectal one, whereas i feel i need a gastro. That app is next week.

The last gp wanted me to start anti depressants as he felt it was aniexty. I did have a tough 2015 as my mum was diagnosed and treated for bowel cancer which was a massive shock.

However i dont feel this is my problem as things have got better, my mum is in remission yet my pain is getting worse.

I feel like no one is taking me seriously and am scared i have something seriously wrong!

5 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry i should add i am 34, 5ft 3, female, 70kg and not losing weight.

I eat a varied diet, dont smoke, drink occasionally.

I have tried lansoprazole. Mebeverine and peppermint tablets to no effect from the gp.

Myself i have tried dairy elimination, probiotics and stool softners in case it was a build up.

• Posted

If there is a history of bowel cancer in the family and you are having bowel disturbances the consultant will want to investigate colorectal issues.  If you have had blood, this should be investigated too although there could be many reasons for the blood.  

it took me eight visits to the doctor over three and a half months to get diagnosed with IBS which was brought on by stress.  It may well be that the stress with your mum's illness has triggered symptoms which may be IBS.  Only once you have tested negative for all tests, can you be diagnosed with IBS.

• Posted

I only had the blood once. I am happy to have any sort of examination such as a colonoscopy etc but i really feel that my issue is higher up. I am interested to hear what the consultant has to say though, at least I am seeing someone!
  • Posted

l guess your abdo scan covered the gall bladder, more so after your gp mentioned it, inflamed gall bladder can cause some of the symptoms you mention, including bowel problems.  You know your own body, and if you think its not phycalogical keep at them, maybe next weeks consultant will help. l dont doubt many symptoms can be caused by phycalogical reasons, but some are put down to that and do have physical reason.  l was fobbed off for many years with symptoms that affected me badly, much later diagnosed as intersticial cystitus, some things dont show up easily on blood tests xrays and even scans, but many conditions do not mean something is seriouisly wrong, so try not to worry, talk it over with consultant next week. goodluck
    • Posted

Thank you, yes ultrasound was specifically done to look at gallbladder as gp said stones after pregnancy are very common.
  • Posted

Have them give you a H. Pylori test. Check on the Internet for what it is. Also get on enzymes and a good probiotic. Drink raw ginger tea for nausea and a healtho gut. Keep fighting for your health. Most Dr's want to push you through the door and underdiagnose. Be proactive and put your foot down. I hope you find relief.
    • Posted

Thank you, I have to trust my instinct and persue it, i have a young family that needs me! I mentioned h pylori to the gp but they just dismissed it. I felt like they thought I was a hypochondriac as I research everything and was questioning their diagnosis of ibs and stress.
    • Posted

Look into thermal imaging. I found out I have a issue with my pylori valve that never would of shown up on any test through western medicine. I also found out I do have a thyroid issue even though my endo and GP said my blood tests were fine. If you have the resources do a thermal. Find one in your area and get a consultation. Also, start eliminating foods you eat one by one. Gluten, lactosse, nuts, eggs. Keep this up for a few weeks with each. See if there are any changes. Get a food allergy test done. Also what medications are you taking. Look into side effects. I'm sure you've done many if not all of these but stay on it. I hope you get to the bottom of it.
    • Posted

Dont worry l and many have felt like that, re making you feel as if your a hypacondriac, think l was called it when they couldnt come up with a diagnosed for symptoms, much later a scope found the cause of the symptoms, i.c, mine before net and mbs info advice, and l had young kids at that time, also affects your partnership, so your right to trust yourself and keep at them.
    • Posted

Thank you Lynne, you are all making me feel like I am right in perusing this!
    • Posted

Thank you, I have tried eliminating some but not all of those, I will keep it up. Will look into the thermal imaging in my area also!
  • Posted

Did your blood tests include pancreatic enzyme test? Symptoms remind me of a patient who had stress induced pancreatitis. The location of your pain, the fact that pain increases when you eat, and yellow stools can all be symptoms of chronic, low-grade pancreatitis. Acute pancreatitis is easier to diagnose than chronic, but elevated pancreatic enzymes should be present in your blood, especially during pain. They may not show up during times when pain is gone.
    • Posted

Im not sure, all I was told is that it was a full blood count with the ovarian cancer marker test. They said all was normal, ferritin slightly low but Id had a transfusion after my c section so that was expected. Back when I had the bloods done the pain was not as constant as it is now!

To be honest pancreas is what I am thinking, its what makes most sense to me but I know its very hard to diagnose!

• Posted

Rj, what test is this please? I would like to ask my doctor for it specifically. I have the same symptoms as Pinky. Thank you! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.