Pain under left rib, back pain, bowel change. Worried!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Ive been feeling unwell for over a year. I had my second child in Jan 15 by c section. In the spring I had mastitus followed by a horrible bout of laryngitis!

Since then I cant remember feeling well. The most worrying symptom is a (now almost) constant discomfort under my left rib, made worse by eating but always there in some way.

My stools are usually soft, or normal follwed by a soft motion usually first thing in the morning. Ive also experienced bouts of mucus but only blood one, which was after a large stool.

Stools have sometimes been on the yellow side sometimes normal. Occasionally they can be small and wrinkly as if dehydrated. Passing stool doesnt usually help the pain.

I always have lots of gas, sometimes i can hear it from the outside. It feels like it is bubbling where the pain is.

I have suffered with lightheadedness this past year, it is not so bad recently but i have found it very hard to deal with, like i am walking around in a constant fog!

I get occasional bouts of nausea and have always suffered with migraines.

I have seen a gp 7 times in the last year, they say IBS, stress, gallbladder. I had full blood tests at the start and an abdominal ultrasound which found nothing. I have had abdominal and rectal examinations which were normal.

I was finally referred to a consultant buy to my dismay it is a colo-rectal one, whereas i feel i need a gastro. That app is next week.

The last gp wanted me to start anti depressants as he felt it was aniexty. I did have a tough 2015 as my mum was diagnosed and treated for bowel cancer which was a massive shock.

However i dont feel this is my problem as things have got better, my mum is in remission yet my pain is getting worse.

I feel like no one is taking me seriously and am scared i have something seriously wrong!

5 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have your exact symptoms! Had my gallbladder out, but didn't help! Mine was never right sided, always left. Having endoscopy and colonoscopy in 11 days. Hopefully you can get these also. Feel for you, as I know how bad it makes one feel! Let us know your outcome! Praying for you dear. 
    • Posted

Thank you Debbie, it really is getting me down, I feel like it is ruining my life! Good luck with your procedures, please keep me updated!
  • Posted

So I saw the colo rectal consultant today. She says that she doesnt think there is anything sinister going on and she wouldnt even want to scope me.

She said that I may have had an infection or reaction from the antibiotics last year that has caused my pain and change in bowel habits. She said that sometimes the bowel can take up to 2 years to right itself after being upset.

The pain and location she said could be spasms, she wouldnt rule out IBS. She was not concerned about my dizziness or mucus in stools. She has ordered a stool culture and after me asking about it, a blood test for h pylori.

All in all a positive experience and I am looking forward to finding out if these extra tests reveal anything! If not I will be heading back to my gp and insisting on investigations on my pancreas!

• Posted

Well, very encouraging news! I hope I get good news too! Hopefully you can move forward with healing now! Let me know further news and treatment please! 
    • Posted

Mucus in stools is a symptom of IBS. Your bowel habit changes sound as if your problems are more bowel related than pancreas.
  • Posted

Hi, its been a while so time for an update! In the last few months I've had the following tests:

H pylori blood test - negative

Amylase blood test (pancreas) - normal

Fecal calprotecrin (inflammation) - normal

Ive finally managed to get a referral to a gastro but it's not until mid-november sad

My symptoms are still the same although the dizziness and fatigue are less frequent, I am however suffering alot with back pain, specifically around the left shoulder area.

I do carry my 20 month old more than I should but I can't help but feel its connected to my issues.

I went to see an osteopath this week in the hope that it was an unrelated issue. She said that she could see that my hips were off balance and my left ribs were flaring as a result. She also said that i was very tight around my left diapgragm where my pain is.

The day after my appointment I felt so much better, no back or abdominal pain. The next day it returned to a degree. I have another appointment next week.

So not much so report but hopefully on the right track!

• Posted

It has been mentioned, and I did try some prescription medication and peppermint tablets but they made no difference.

Going to the toilet doesnt ease the pain, which ive heard is a tell tale sign of ibs.

• Posted

With IBS going to the loo does ease the pain for most people.  Some people may be different.  Perhaps try over the counter Buscopan and Nurofen.
  • Posted

Had an appointment letter from the colorectal consultant today which i wasnt expecting.

My surgery told me that my fecal calprotectic result was normal but it clearly isnt!

I spoke to her secretary who couldnt tell me anything and now im really worried!!!

• Posted

So I saw the consultant today and my calprotectin levels are slightly raised but given the fact that my pain has persisted for 18 months they are going to do a colonoscopy.

I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere but am so nervous at the same time!

• Posted

Please keep me posted because I'm having similar symptoms . Abdominal pain upper left side .. Not exactly under ribs , but below .. Worried sick . Please respond .

• Posted

I will, have no idea how long a wait the colonoscopy is, I may see the gastro first as that appointment is next month!

Will keep you updated!

• Posted

so I saw the gastro today, he doesn't think that there is anything sinister going on. I have my colonoscopy booked for just before Xmas and he is going to do an endoscopy the same time, affectionately termed the 'double ender'.

I also had a chest x ray done today as he was surprised I'd not had one before due to the location of the pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.