pain update

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, 

well i hope you are all enjoying this amazing weather!!! I thought i would just let you know that today i saw my surgeon about the pain/ache i have been getting in my operated side for the last 10 days, and It seems i have, now here's the full info on it.

Trochanteric bursitis

Trochanteric bursitis - also known as greater trochanteric painsyndrome - is a common hip syndrome that causes pain and tenderness at the bony, outside point of the hip, known as the greater trochanter. It happens when the sac of fluid (the trochanteric bursa), located between the hip and the muscles and tendons of the thighs, becomes inflamed. This is about three times more common in women than in men and is most common in middle aged or elderly women, rather than young people.

Trochanteric bursitis causes

Trochanteric bursitis can be caused by:

Inflammation

Overuse

Physical trauma to muscles, tendons

Prolonged pressure on the bursa

Activities that require twisting or fast joint movement, such as jogging or cycling

Previous hip surgery,

I copied this from his pc,

love to all,

Lynne.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you lynne. What is the doctor going to do to treat it?
    • Posted

Hi Ginger,

well basically Iv'e tried to do too much, so he said ice packs, anti inflammatories , and rest with my leg up, if any other signs present, such as fevor redness etc. I have to call him.

• Posted

Thank you. That's a perfect treatment for that condition. I'm an RN So I understand exactly what you said.xxxxxx
  • Posted

So now you now, but can he give you some treatment, or tips on how to minimise or avoid it in future?
    • Posted

Hi Maggie,

he said to take it easy, and ice packs, ibuprophen and not too push myself,but at least I know the hip is sound.

• Posted

Hi Lynne,

Glad to hear you have an answer and some tips on what to do. What sort of pain/ache were you getting? And whereabouts on op side? I'm asking as I think I could have something similar. Fortunately after a long wait I've managed to get a referral back to my surgeon and am seeing him tomorrow.

My pain is sharp, burning, grinding in the hip mainly when walking.

cheers

Juliet

• Posted

Hi Juliet,

sorry to hear you are in so much pain, mine is more like a ache, it's worse when I'm sitting, it feels like a long bruise all down the back and side of my thigh, you know when you get a bruise and you press it how it hurts? well this is what it feels like, and it is on my operated side, I am 7 months post op. and going in this month for the other one, can't wait to get back to some kind of normality.

hope all is well with you when you see your consultant, the grinding doesn't sound to good to me frown, but I'm wishing you a happy outcome,keep in touch let us know how you get on,

love,

Lynne x

• Posted

Thanks for the reply and kind words. I'm 6 months post op so had hoped for better things at this point.  I'll report back once I've seen my surgeon.

Juliet x

• Posted

Hi Lynne

I'm glad its bursitis and treatable.

When doing an NHS wxercise {abducting my left leg} 4 weeks post op I fractured mine.

The consultant that was on duty said there was nothing could be done but it would heal but would take a long time.

My own consultant then {about 1 month later} showed me an X Ray and said it would never heal because a bone had moved too far away to ever knit again.

So 16 months later I'm still on crutches......he also at another appt said I had bursitis there as well???

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Sorry for the typos and to be clear it was my Greater Trochanter Bone that I fractured cheesygrin

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Oh Eileen I'm so sorry to hear about your fracture, how awful it must be knowing it will never heal, I would be very dipleased with the first surgeon who said it would, just to be told no it won't later on, hang in there, you never know, nature is a wonderful thing, it always suprises us.

love and best wishes,

Lynne.

• Posted

Hi Lynn

I havent even got a clue who the first surgeon was.....I was taken in at the weekend and he just happened to be on duty.

My own surgeon said "I know you now....you like straight answers dont you?" I said yes. Thats wehn he said it wouldnt heal He also said at the time the other one saw me  he might have thought it would heal  ?????

Never mind.....I'm used to the crutches after this length of time Just trying to get the pain sorted. All my other pains {OA, scoliosis etc }I can cope with but this one is completely different. You'll know wher it is...that bone that just out ...at your pelvis????  He is trying cortisone injections at the moment

Best wishes to you

Eileen  xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.