pain update

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, 

well i hope you are all enjoying this amazing weather!!! I thought i would just let you know that today i saw my surgeon about the pain/ache i have been getting in my operated side for the last 10 days, and It seems i have, now here's the full info on it.

Trochanteric bursitis

Trochanteric bursitis - also known as greater trochanteric painsyndrome - is a common hip syndrome that causes pain and tenderness at the bony, outside point of the hip, known as the greater trochanter. It happens when the sac of fluid (the trochanteric bursa), located between the hip and the muscles and tendons of the thighs, becomes inflamed. This is about three times more common in women than in men and is most common in middle aged or elderly women, rather than young people.

Trochanteric bursitis causes

Trochanteric bursitis can be caused by:

Inflammation

Overuse

Physical trauma to muscles, tendons

Prolonged pressure on the bursa

Activities that require twisting or fast joint movement, such as jogging or cycling

Previous hip surgery,

I copied this from his pc,

love to all,

Lynne.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have soreness in the same area and at the 6 week meet the surgeon called it residual trochanteric discomfort in the letter to the GP. It still varies in intensity at 9 weeks although I have been quite active in the garden up and down ladders and mowing the lawn. I didn't have any suggestions as to do anything though. I might just do some icing though after your post!
    • Posted

the ice pack really helps, in fact it takes the pain away completely, good luck,

Lynne

• Posted

Hi Lynne so pleased you have an answer, please do as the consultant says and REST, I know your on your own love but please try, maybe you should buy that new chair that would make you sit stillsmilesmilesmile please take care love and rest. Did he give any idea how long it would take to get better? Love Gill xxxx
    • Posted

Hi Gill,

I will do as you say and restlol, it's so hard to sit here and see the things that need doind that I used to do without thinking..frown no he just said to take it easy until they get me in for the other one, he looked at my notes, and said we will get you in asap, until then I can walk , but I must stop the minute I feel pain.

I hope you and Alan are enjoying this glorious summer weather, though up here it's overcast and windy, humid, typical scottish summer blink and you miss it lol,take care both of you,

love 

Lynne xxx

• Posted

Thanks for letting us know. You never know what's round the corner!

it sounds like you have been over doing it. 

I know what it's like. I am an active person, just finished building our own house. Trouble is there are so many things still to do. I see them everywhere but can't do anything about them. I was working 24/7 for 14 months before op, so was nice and fit. I am sure it is helping my recovery. But, on about day 7 I felt so good I did too much, not intentionally, it's just that I could. After reading what everyone has put on here, and I know we all recover at different rates , I think it is good to push, but no too far. I Think we still need to rest more than we think. So take it easy,  look after yourself, and let others look after you 

hope you can get comfy

carol x

• Posted

Thanks Carol, 

yes I know what you mean about seeing things that need done and you can't just jump up and do them like before, so frustrating, but at least now I know my hip is sound and it's just me pushing myself too far.

I'm sitting here doing my nails, that always chills me out, I love creating new designs.

love,

Lynne x

• Posted

I am going to be taking cocodomol tonight as spent this morning moving Amy computer to other room, then made the bed with graham turned the matress too and I think I have done too much like we do lol
  • Posted

Have u tried acupuncture or dry needling? I found it excellent for bursitis. The pain relief was instant. When I eventually get my RTHR done I will be askng for either acupuncture or dry needling during the healing process or at least for my other hip which needs to be done too. 
    • Posted

I was thinking of acupunture, but never heard of dry needling?
  • Posted

It's very similar to acupuncture. One physio called it acupuncture & 2nd physio called,it dry needling it felt the same to me only. With acupuncture the needles were placed & I was left for 15 minutes or so. Where with dry needling the therapist stays with u & twiddled the needles about until she got a muscle contraction going. Weird sensation but the results were excellent. Try googling it in Ur area. Check with Ur Dr if it's safe to have so soon after surgery. Not all drs believe in this form of therapy. My surgeon said its probably mind over matter. Typical response though to alternative therapies from a surgeon. Keep it in mind though.
  • Posted

Good evening Lynne - good thing to know right? not fun and certainly not something you were waiting for - but at least now you know why you had so much pain .. how was it diagnosed ? I never heard of dry needling before I came to Holland and had a couple of treatments - it is different from acupuncture where the needles are put in/along the meridians and restore balance - dry needling uses the same kind o needles but go into the knot of the muscle so it will relax - ()

wishing you all a good and peaceful night - warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.