Painful knee joints...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've read a few posts from ladies on here that mention painful joints, but don't know which joints you were meaning? Not sure if it's peri related  or just wear and tear. Dr gave me ibuleve and physio exercises to do, has anyone fot any other suggestions/advice?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janert8, yes, take calcium pills with vitamin D. I also took msm, glucosamine chondroitin and fish oil. They help alleviate symptoms. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

I've not heard of msm? I take fish oil already but will start the glucosamine!  Thanks 
  • Posted

Hi janert I had painful knee joints at the at the beginning of peri I started vitamin D they have helped me still get pain in my knees just before my periods but they are not as bad OK for the rest of the time

Take care

Paula

• Posted

Thanks Paula I had better get myself off to the chemist to stock up on Vit D and glucosamine 😊 Hope you are doing ok?
  • Posted

Hi  jane

Try Voltorol its a cream, its very expensive, but works for me, i have osteo and its very good on my hands for pain, get the small tube incase it doesnt work for you,  One thing though, are you on Statins, as they can affect amongst others, knee joints?? but menopause causes aching joints also, and if your developing osteoarthritis, it will flare during this time,  check your hands for hard boney nodules at the end of your fingers just below your nail, some will be painful when pressed, some wont, thats osteo arthritis of the hands, can you wear high heels? or, is it too painful on, either, or, both your big toes, as if their breaking at the joint in the middle, again thats oesteo of the toes, i also have it in my pelvic joint, causes inflammation extremely painful, triggers sciatica, joint locks when i lie on my stomach, boy is that painful................. have it in my neck and shoulder joint, classed as cervical joints, elbows as well, wear strap for that when it plays up, works brilliantly, believe you can straps  for knee joints as well, most joints really, my husband has used magnets in the past works for his back, problem is, you cant keep taking ibuprofen really bad for stomach lining, so use them sparringly if you can. acupuncture good, but only whilst your having it done, wears off quick.

• Posted

Elaine you really have been suffering compared to my aches! I bought voltarol last week and it had no effect 🙁 I'm not on statins and no lumps at end of fingers or toes so hoping it's not the first signs of osteo and something I can try to treat myself.
    • Posted

Hi Jane

To be honest,  i feel ive been lucky really Jane, i have a high pain threshold, so although it can be bad in my back, the rest is copeable, Sorry volatrol didnt work for you.   If your gp ever suggests Statins, say No, they are linked to causing problems with joints, knees in particular, and diabetes, my friend developed both, and there is no diabetes in the family, doesnt mean everyone will suffer this way tho, but if you already have aching joints,  and they suggest statins for cholesterol ever, then ask for an alternative, just say, no dont like side affects with statins, but willing to try something else, research everything they try to give you, before you decide, because you end up taking other meds to combat side affects, who wants that!!

If you develop osteo, it will be very gradual takes years, its just wear and tear thats all, first it will start on one side of body, then the next, but its very slow to do this, where as with rheumatoid it goes on both sides fairly quickly, and causes a lot more swelling than osteo. and rheumatoid is a more serious condition. 

Yes there is lots you can do to treat it yourself, i dont really take stuff to be honest, i have tried things but dont keep it going, as most stuff hasnt worked, so why pay all that, did goe and see a homeopathist for 4 years, he was excellent, very expensive though,  i tend to  think if i give this thing too much negative energy it will make things worse so i refuse to do that, the one thing i did ask for  was, anti depressants, as the depression became so black.............awful! and you  cant think positive when its like that, so im on, Sertrlline only on a low dose, its eased it, and thats all i was looking for,  also helps with migraines, a lot of people say its not a very good anti depresssant, but like everything, depends on your body................ not on anything else. just lifestyle changes.  

• Posted

I'm with you there if you find something that works for you that's all that matters! It's not until you speak with others on the forum that you realise that everyone has their own particular ailments and dealing with them as best they can. I wish you well.
  • Posted

Mine are my shoulders but yes I'm just doing shoulder rolls and arm waving to try and help.

My husband said to rest them so I did a bit at christmas but I found they hurt more then when I had to do something than they do if I keep active. They still hurt just not quite as much.

I'm thinking maybe get some cod liver oil capsules or other joint herbal. The only thing is I'm already taking a few supplements and I have a cupboard full of stuff I buy but end up not using.

• Posted

Yes I take a few supplements already and have been recommended a few more iie glucosamine for joints but like you I buy loads of them and I give up after a few weeks when there's no improvement.  By the time I do all my physio exercises rub in all the anti inflammatory creams and take my pills it takes up most of the day!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.