Painful Urticaria

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone experienced painful hives on hands and feet with swelling?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello, yes I've had this as well as hives all over body for the last 12 months. The itching and swelling in hands feet is probably the worst as it's so painful. Be careful what shoes you wear when you have hives on your feet/ankles because the rubbing can cause the hive to turn into a swelling and make it worse. I've had hives swelling in my feet that have left bruises. The swelling has become less and I believe for me it's a sign of a reaction to something I eat as I only get it now and then when I've eaten certain foods or drunk alcohol. It's very unpleasant and I feel for you. I was prescribed tranexamic acid tablets by my immunologist to take when swellings occur and also find drinking a lot of water helps it go down quicker.

• Posted

Thank you for responding. This is happening to me almost every night. The medicine regimen is working as far as itching and the spread of the hives. Ever since I have been taking the medicine I am having them more in my hands and feet and it hurts so bad. I just wish I knew what was causing this.
    • Posted

My immunologist said that sometimes it can be due to salicylate sensitivity (occurs in many foods) and that trailing an elimination diet is the only way to tell if food is causing the problem. What tablets are you taking and Do your tablets have a colour coating? I wash the coating off mine because I am sensative to Artificial colourings.

If you want to research diet stuff I would recommend googling the RPAH diet and handbook and read up a bit about salicylate sensitivity.

In general coffee, alcohol, NSAID drugs, stress, lack of sleep can make everything worse so take care. Also chemicals in products can cause reactions, or household cleaners etc.

It's just a personal hunch I get but I tend to get the swelling and itchy palms/feet when it's a chemical reaction. E.g worst reaction I had was after using hair die, my eyes were swollen shut!

It's usually a build up of things and can be hard to pin point one particular thing so try not to get too frustrated and make a plan of action for trailing some changes to see what difference they make.

Good luck!

• Posted

I am taking Allegra and Pepcid am and pm and Zyrtex in between. I also take Hydroxyzine sometimes before bed. Thank you for the advice. I have not yet changed my diet. Reading the stories on here has helped me realize there are some things I can changing that might help. I just can't believe I am going through this and there are some many others. I really thought this was something that would go away, and now that it has been four months I am starting to except that it wont. I'm not usually dealing with chemicals. It doesn't matter what I am doing, or where I am at I still have the outbreaks every night. The mediciene is helping the severity but not keeping them aways completely. I appreciate your time and consideration. Good Luck to you as well!

• Posted

Hi

I have had it on my hands and feet, my feet also sometimes feel very hot

and there is nothing there,,

when on the feet it is around the ancle and on top of the foot, not noticed any swelling

• Posted

Yes all the time. My hands and feet are the worst affected. I have chronic urticaria and Delayed Pressure Urticaria. It us the dpu that is the biggest problem and the hardest to treat. It is really limiting my day to day life

What type do you have and are you having treatment?

• Posted

Right now they are just saying CIU. I take Allegra in the morning and at night. I take pepcid in the morning and at night and a zyrtec in between. I also take hyroxyzine at night if it gets too bad. What treatment are you on?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.