Palpitations not a disease but a symptom!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi posted early about being fed up with palpitations and flutters etc, had all sort of heart tests all coming back clear.  I am so fed up with constantly feeling and hearing heart beat and having palps and flutters, went to see GP today who basically was extremely abrupt, (new GP not seen before) and said you have had all the tests, there is nothing wrong with you, what do you expect me to do about.  Palpitations are not a disease but a symptom. Exactly a symptom of what!  Explained that my problems come and go and nothing untoward happened during 24 monitor test, she just ignored me.  I did insist on seeing the palpitations clinic, whatever that it and she is doing another ECG.  Something must be causing these things to happen, they started about 2 years and were not their before so why.  Exasperated and fed up, feeling not so young.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I agree with all of your points, your not alone the same has happened to me. The only difference is that I've had them for 12 years ! Be great of a doctor actually took it seriously ok it may not be physically dangerous but it's mentally crippling!

• Posted

Hi Chalky, that is what I said to GP today, I know they are probably not going to kill me but they are making my life so miserable, she said "you are over thinking it and anxious", to which I said they usually happen when I am resting and they are so strong that I sometimes have to cough to get my breath back and the buzzing feels life a butterfly going mad in my chest, this woke me last night, how is that over thinking it.  I just got the look.! I will have to see what this palpitations clinic is all about, if she remembers to refer me. LOL

• Posted

Have you tried taking daily magnesium?  The powder type seems best.  It certainly helped with me, all palpitations, tachycardia etc. are greatly reduced - some days none at all.  I wouldn't be without it.

• Posted

Hi Pam last reply being moderated, I think I mentioned a brand name. I am taking magnesium tablets which I started 6 days ago, but no changes yet not sure if it is too soon.  I am a bit worried though as my potassium is 5.3 (normal scale 3.5 - 5.3) so to me that is on the verge of being high, although GP laughed so perhaps these scales do not mean anything. Magnesium increases potassium I think so not sure what to do as I do know magnesium helps.  Take care
  • Posted

Magnesium tablets don't seem to work as well.  I can give you the brand name, and the internet supplier (large one, starts with an A!) but reckon the moderator will remove the message if I do.  Difficult.  Not sure about the magnesium raising potassium levels, that needs checking out but my doctor son said get your Vit D levels checked if taking magnesium, they can be too low, especially in winter.  He recommended continuing with the twice daily small dose of the magnesium as it is helping so much.  I hope you find something soon that helps.

• Posted

Hi, I will continue to take them and just lower food that contains potassium to level it out.  I am taking blood thinners at the minute following a DVT in December and I am not supposed to take a lot of vitamins, but once I finish the course in 5 weeks am going to buy the best ones I can find and see if I can eat myself better.  Thanks
  • Posted

Try looking at your diet. It helped me. I had to stop dairy. Helped immensely. The heart and gut are connected. Take magnesium and drink lots of water.

All v the best.

PS Find another doctor that can relate better!

• Posted

Annie do you substitute milk for coconut milk at all? I understand that has lots of good properties but a bit of extra fat.
    • Posted

I had been having almond milk but in fact they do add lots of stuff to it. I've been having rice milk. But yhink I will try the coconut milk. Thanks for the suggestion.

Really miss my dairy!

• Posted

Hi Annie, does milk cause palpitations, because I do have a lot of dairy products, skimmed milk, love cheese and love yoghurts. I eat these rather than tons of meat products, but if they are causing my problems will cut down drastically.  Yes, I will be finding another doctor, there are others at our surgery, all new but worth a go.  Thanks
  • Posted

My 24 hour ecgs would come back clear as they didnt coincide with my heart rythm problems, so I bought my own little ECG from Amazon, I then had something to show the doctor. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.