Patient face book.

Posted , 12 users are following.

saw this quote on Patient F/book page. that i thought on a lovely sunny sunday morning bought a. smile.. : Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.very true. Dave

3 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi david, how very true, I admit I am getting old but also admit that I have never really grown up, this i find very useful these days as I seem to find a funny side to most things which helps with PMR. All the very best.
  • Posted

Good quote but in my case started PMR journey aged 45.Mind you (I am now 57) a true elderly lady asked if I needed her to carry my shopping bag onto the bus for me.I was grateful but politely declined.I was having a rough day and she was trying to be kind which I appreciated.I know I am white haired and use a stick but she made me feel 100 LOL☺

• Posted

Hello gillian I am a true owed un, so my heart goes out to you&others of a youger age with this strange illness.I found through the really dark times that being with the young ones of the family helped me through it. at times I had to pay the price of kicking a football about in the park,but for me A/O. I wish you and others well. Take Care. Dave 
    • Posted

All of you and this forum has meant the world to me through my journey with PMR since January.  Don't know what i'd do without all of you.
  • Posted

Too true! My children are always telling me to grow up! I just say I'm getting my own back - what goes round, comes round! Anyway, in my head I'm still 18 not 68. 
    • Posted

Good for you! I feel exactly the same! My daughter is 40 tomorrow, I'm sure I am too young xx
  • Posted

Definitely true!!

I recently saw this one, which made me laugh.  It was written for me!!

"Due to an intense mind fog, all of my thoughts have been grounded until further notice"

• Posted

It's what I try to live by. And as my husband sometimes says to himself "don't let the old man in" .

Remember the poem "when I'm old, I shall wear purple" :-)

• Posted

I always do my best to try all the tasters in the supermarket...
  • Posted

Hi David, I might be completely wrong as I have had flare ups as well. Don't think it is down to age but maybe the illness itself needs the steroids to be put up? I am 59 and had this problem for two years and as much as I don't want to put steroids up for the third time maybe I just have to swallow the pill. Regards X
    • Posted

Or do a bit less. It is difficult to know - you may be able to reduce while the autoimmune disorder is realtively quiescent but need more if it becomes more active. However, my experience is that not too many doctors think of that possibility.
    • Posted

Hi angela. I am believe you girls have more of struggle with this journey. I have found when posting it can be hard with short posts that one comes a cross as making light of what others are going through,I am now on Zero pred but still have other health problems.I find the best way for me is to give myself a good Kick up the back side so to speak in the morning and make the best of my day.just to add with out info from the likes of Eileen and the other Tshirt girls i would not have made it to Zero.Slowly does it angela take Care.Dave
    • Posted

I am sure no one thought you were making light of things. To be honest laughing at yourself is one way of coping.I felt 100 when a really elderly lady offered to carry my bag onto the bus (the drivers who know me always automatically lower the bus floor so I can get on)but everyone means well
    • Posted

Hi David, I appreciate what you have said but pain is pain! I don't think it is a case of a kick up the ***. If we are feeling pain then we have to address it. Hark at me trying to avoid putting my steroids up for the third time. It's not our fault we have this but we have to support each other. I'll give you a kick if you will do the same for me! None of us likes it x
    • Posted

Hee Hee!  We give each other virtual hugs, kisses, so why not kicks?😄😄
    • Posted

True as there are lot of people in the world worse off.We should count our blessings and be thankful we have the NHS and for us younger ones prepayment certificates. Goodnight and hope for a better day tomorrow

• Posted

think that could get a bit out of hand  constance, hugs,kisses followed by kicks,BUT!? Take Care. DAVE
    • Posted

Thank you Eileen, think mine is due to stress that I am under with my Mum. If I am stressed then I am sooo tired I have to give in and nap once or twice a day but at the moment  there is no relief from it
    • Posted

No David!  You've got it the wrong way round.  Kicks, THEN hugs and kisses!!
    • Posted

I have now realised I am having another flare up (3rd). I have just become aware that fatigue is part of it! Pain now the worst that I have experienced, before it was just hip and legs, now it's in my shoulders and neck as well. Got down to 10mg this time whereas before got down to 2mg. I really thought I might have a chance this time x
    • Posted

Unfortunately as long as the underlying autoimmune disorder is active you will develop symptoms when the pred dose is too low. I would suggest you try to find a Bowen therapist - because we do see a lot of people who have what are apparently flares of just the PMR but seem also to be worse and turn out to be due to (probably) myofascial pain syndrome (MPS) which affects similar areas. We walk badly when we have PMR and that puts strain on our back muscles which eventually give up the unequal struggle and go into spasm to try to stop more strain. MPS is often found alongside PMR, is due to similar cytokines but in more concentrated trigger points and it particularly affects neck and shoulders and into ribs and the hip, it can also be more one-sided than PMR. Higher doses of pred also help - but the inflamamtion gets worse again at lower doses. Three sessions of Bowen would show if it could help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.