Pessary

Posted , 11 users are following.

anyone - especially you Matron! - with any help on pessaries?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What sort of pessaries do you mean celia? Hormone pessaries?
    • Posted

No Matron, a ring pessary for a grade 1 posterior wall prolapse. Had a tvt and anterior wall prolapse surgery last year, but am 67 and am trying to avoid more surgery. It is one that you insert and take out yourself daily - why daily by the way if the one used by the consultant is 3/4 months- do you know that?
    • Posted

Pessaries are wonderful when you can find one that fits comfortably but it's a bit if trial and error at times. My concern is not about the pessary itself but the after care because what tends to happen is you are sent home with the pessary in situ but then you find it doesn't fit properly or it's uncomfortable and you have to wait weeks for another appointment. Having said that when you get one that fits properly then they are fantastic and prevent the need for surgery.
    • Posted

Hello Matron,

that is what happened, and I went back three times.The consultant made me feel as if I was a bit of a nuisance, and 2 weeks ago sent me away with a pessary you insert and take out yourself daily, and said that the nurse would send me an appointment to show me how to use it - still waiting - so am doing my best. Thought I was doing ok, but yesterday, after an easy day, felt as if my original bulge has returned. Am going to try and see GP next week. I am so fed up!!!

• Posted

I'm not surprised you're fed up, that's not the sort of treatment I would expect  you should have seen a nurse at that appointment. I hope you get this sorted out very soon, I think you've suffered enough to be honest.
  • Posted

If you are talking about Vaginal pessaries for prolapse I personally couldn't get on with them. I tried them twice before my op and they just felt uncomfortable and one that you can't have sex with was awful. I think much older women get on with them ok if they feel that they do not want an operation.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Eve. Yes, I am 67 and don't want further surgery if I can help it. Think I am coping at the moment, just looking for reassurance that I'm doing it ok!!!
    • Posted

I tried the V shelf pessary! It was so painful, did not stop urinary/bowel symptoms, made them worse if anything as it pressed on my bladder and bowel/rectum. I would prefer to have four more babies than have one of those removed again!frown It had to come out after one week so I could have an internal scan. It had stuck behind the pubic bone. Pure hell. Doc who removed it said she'd never seen one stuck like it after only one week, so.... not for me, I'm elderly by the way, 73. rolleyes
    • Posted

Thanks for reply Pollyanna. I am 67, hope I won't have to go through what you have been through. Am going to try and see GP next week
    • Posted

Felt like it when she tried to pull the "thing" out!  twisted  Must out of practice. lol razz 
  • Posted

Hi, I've had the vagina pessary since I've had anterior and posterior prolapse while waiting for operation ( which should have had on Thursday but was cancelled) I found it has relieved the discomfort and I can pop it in as and out myself for cleaning and for sex. I'm 50 and I would have been in agony without it. It hasn't made any difference to incontinence ( am having bladder sling with op). Hope this helps Xx

• Posted

Yes it does, thanks Elaine. Did you take it out daily? I have had a tvt and anterior wall repair, but soon after, my posterior wall collapsed. It's only Grade 1, and am using the pessary instead of having further surgery.
    • Posted

Hi Celia, yep I do tend to remove daily, my posterior prolapse is getting worse and sometimes having a bowel movement is difficult with pessary in. Matron is correct about a good fit, think I was lucky with the fit but was sent on my way from GP without any instructions on removing it, used you tube videos to find out how!! Good luck, if you have a try at removal use some lubricant for removal and reinsertion, it helps, good luck!
    • Posted

hello Elaine,

I have had a tvt and anterior wall repair, but now have rectocele, and hoping to avoid further surgery. Were you given any instructions on how to  insert/ take out or did you look on uTube as I have done?

• Posted

thNks Elaine. I am managing to insert and remove with no problem, I just worry about it being in the right place!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.