Pessary

Posted , 11 users are following.

anyone - especially you Matron! - with any help on pessaries?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Monirng Celia

A pessary is great if it is fitted properly. Too small it falls out and is uncomfortable, too big and it's uncomfortable. Pessary use is gaining in popularity so do try and find a practice that fits lots of them, and be prepared to have a bit of trial and error with the fitting. Some are removable, and some are permenant. Have a look also at some German ones called Contam, they are lightweight, like a tampon but non absorbent and offer support and flexibility, lots of sportswomen use them whilst exercising. They are available in vaginal & anal styles. A pessary is good because it supports the prolpased organs and can stop that 'dragging' feeling and also prevent the prolpase from worsening. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Stephanie

Thanks very much for your informative reply. I am ok with using one, but just hope that I am doing it correctly! Will try and see so stone this week to confirm this. Will check out the German one on the Internet. Cheers!

• Posted

I've just been talking to a friend who has a pessary whilst she decides whether to have surgery and she told me it's the Contam. Basically she is saying the same as you Stephanie, it's very comfortable and she wears it comfortably at the gym. 
    • Posted

Good to hear another opinion on this Matron. I'm going to order tomorrow - not sure what save though!!! Will look into it further. 

Thanks

• Posted

sorry, what size.
    • Posted

I'm not sure about the sizes celia. Stephanie may be able to help there. My friend had hers fitted by a consultant.
  • Posted

Some GPs can help with pessaries.  Mine would have inserted for me if I had not chosen surgery.  As it happened, the incontinence nurse and consultant both tried to insert pessaries for comfort prior to surgery, but they just fell out, so it seems they don't suit everyone, especially with an advanced prolapse.
    • Posted

Thanks Moira. Will have to see my GP soon I think, although I may try the German pessary recommended by Stephanie.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.