Physio

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering how much physio do you all have from the hospital as i don't have any. Before i was discharged the physio gave me leaflets on the excises and made sure I could walk but that is pretty much it.  I am thinking of giving them a call to ask to be seen, any thoughts?

Thank you all for all your lovely previous messages

Sharon (Daffi)

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had physical therapy the day after Dion hospital. Walking and a couple of exercises to do in bed. Now since I have been home a physical therapist come to my home 3x a week I believe for 4 weeks.Wishing you all the best!
  • Posted

I had physio for 6 weeks.

surprised you just had leaflet, I had one but only when I was showed how to do them properly..

Good Luck Lorna

• Posted

I had physio once per week starting week three. It was based at the hospital where I had my surgery and built progressively on the handout of exercises I received at hospital.

So useful for the exercises and other issues that cropped up and it helped motivate me too and allowed me to reduce any anxieties that roped up related to my recovery.

• Posted

I have weekly physio at my local hospital am now 11 weeks post op. Must admit my Physio is wonderful and has helped with the nerve damage and foot drop considerably a complication of my hip replacement unfortunately!
  • Posted

Are you in the UK? If so, it seems different Health Authorities have different provision. I was entitled to 3 sessions at 2 week intervals but had to chase this up myself. Your GP can also authorise NHS physio sessions. As others have said, they were really useful to build motivation and confidence, setting be goals each time.

Good luck finding provision.

Steph

• Posted

Hi Seph,

I live in Wales, Vale of Glamorgan in fact, thanks for the advice I do think

it's a bit strange that I'm not going to the hospital for physio, i will ask my GP

Thanks

Daffi

• Posted

I just had 2 sessions.  I'm not happy at all. My husband had 8 weeks and that was just last year.  I think it's all about money. Am seeing my consultant for my 8 week check up next week.  I'm going to see what he says about it.  I really feel as if I need more.  

• Posted

Hello Daddy. My NHS physio wasn't at the hospital but was at a separate NHS provider clinic. Don't know how it works in your part of the world. I am sure your GP will be a good first step. Good luck . X

• Posted

Auto correct from "Daffi"!!! So sorry....

• Posted

Hi Daffi I'm 3weeks post op lthr and have had no pysio at all apart from hospital when the pys comes round to show you how to cope with steps they left me with leaflets with exercises on to do at home also showed me how todo them in hospital ,

I also would have loved some pysio sessions just to no what your doing is correct .I see my consultant 22nd August (6weeks) and will ask about this will let you no what he says wishing you well.

• Posted

I totally agree with you on that! You need someone to come and show you these exercises to ensure they are done correctly and that you don't hurt yourself!! Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Anna,

Thank you for your reply, my 6 week check has been cancelled due to

'Unforseen circumstances' the letter says, think I will phone the hospital

physio department on Monday.

Good luck

Dafi

• Posted

Saw Physios twice in the hospital. No Physio spice but realy good booklet with photographs with exercises at 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 weeks and after. I am following it religiously!  

I can phone the ward any time and speak to a Physio for advice. Honestly this has been fine and I am very happy with my progress. However if I had other complications I would be asking my GP for a Physio referral   

However I do intend to pay a private Physio at the 3 month mark as I am hoping to get back to Skiing. Safe old lady Skiing!

Healing Fairy Dust coming your way!  🌟💫

• Posted

Hi Daffi, it looks like there is major disparity between different heath authorities in the UK. I had pt give me exercise booklet in hospital then a referral to physio at just over 2 weeks. I'm now scheduled to see her in anither 4 weeks when I will be at the 6 week stage. I would ask your gp surf

Surgery exactly what you are entitled to, I will be asking the same question. From talking to my local gym it would appear that I'm able to have some sessions there 'free' but need doctors authorisation for that. I really feel its a case of don't ask, don't get. So please ask. Keep doing the e xcercises you've been given but listen to your body and don't push it! Good luck with your recovery, Janine ?

• Posted

I saw the physio twice in hospital, the first day she showed me some exercises to do in bed.  The following day I was shown how to do the exercises standing up and then how to go up and down the stairs.  That was the total of my physio sessions.  I am in the UK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.