Please don't judge. Dihydracodiene advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on dihydracodiene for a few years now 60mg 3/4 times a day.

I and 28 weeks pregnant and yes I've cut down and tried to take them less frequently but is hard!

The doctors haven't been very helpful in the way of advice just saying that I have to give birt. In hospital (wanted to be in a local birthing unit) as baby may need some help!

And that was it! Has anyone had experience with this Med and pregnancy/baby at birth?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI Hannah   I have been in your situation with Dhydrocodine. It started when I got nuropathy nerve damage in my feet and its painful. Initally a gp at the practice perscribed them and I was on 6 30mg a day. Then she decided to stop and because they helped I ended up having to use a online pharmacy/Doctor service and was paying £70 for 120 tablets a month. As my pain went worse so did the amount of dhydrocodine increase untill I was taking 18 30mg tablets a day. I used a few different online services as with each one there is a limit to how many tablets you can order in a month. I ended up in debt and knew if I continued I would end up dead. It ended up where the services I used got took over and increased prices as well as lower limits and i knew it had to stop. So thats exactly what I did I reduced over 3 days then when I got down to 9 pills a day I stopped. Its the best thing I ever did. Now I have a good doctor who found the right medication for my nuropathy and I no longer think I dont want to live because I have no dhydrocodine. My advice is to get yourself off them. Opaits are not the answer to pain. You can do it. Start now and reduce to 7 for 3 days then 6 for three days then 4 for five days three for 2 days then 2 for 3 days going to 1 for 4 days and your free xxxxx

• Posted

Because your pregnant you must not just stop. You need to taper down slowly as I explained. It would be too dangerous for you and baby to suddenly stop or taper fast. If your on them when your due it wont harm baby but you need to make delivery staff aware you are on dhydrocodine and your dose> Then they can make sure they wean the baby off dhydrocodine as they will get slight withdrawal symptoms. Dont worry though medical staff deal with these situations all the time xxxx

• Posted

Hi hannah 

allthough you may feel worried the amount of dihydrocodeine your taking isnt a massive amount ... the standard dose is 60mg 3 times a day ( 2 x 30mg ) .. so your only slightly above the recommended dose 

one thing you have going for you is the doctors know but they should really help you more .... so your gp is your next stop .. be straight with him/her and insist on more help 

cutting down on opiates isnt easy and you have the pregnancy to deal with on top,and allthough im no preganacy expert i do know your body goes through massive changes during pregnancy,and combine this with cutting down opiates and no wonder your finding it hard 

reducing opiates isnt easy because dihydrocodeine has been your "cushion" for many years making stress less of a problem ... however by slowly removing the medication from the equation everyday problems become harder to deal with .... and thats why many people take opiates as it relaxes them and gives them a escape from everyday problems 

reduce slowly .... by around 30mg per month .. and even consider ( when your at the end of the reduction ) switching to co-dydramol which has just 10mg of dihydrocodeine,and this would allow for a less severe end to the reduction 

whichever way you choose its gonna be tough but not hard ....and you have the excitement of a new born to look forward to which is more of a reason to get off these meds 

i wish you all the best with your pregnancy and reduction of meds .... 

best wishes .. bri   X 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.