Please help with UTI medicines

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have a recurring UTI now for 5-6 months. I'm allergic to penicillin and sulfa so that only leaves Cipro & Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin).

The urine was clear but the culture came back with an infection and said that only penicillins & sulfas & Macrobid will work.

I'm currently on Macrobid, day 4 out of 7, and I'm feeling worse than I did when I started taking it. I called my urologists office and they said there was nothing they could do and that I had to finish the antibiotic.

Please, does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Why isn't the medicine working when the culture tested sensitive to it? Im so fearful this is going to turn into a kidney infection.

0 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You might be one of the unlucky ones who will need more than one cycle of antibiotics.  Also, each infection can react differently than the one previous.  My last UTI, I had lots of blood in my urine, was prescribed Macrobid three times a day for ten days.  The blood didn't go away until about the 7th day.

• Posted

Well I was taking Cipro in the past but the infection kept coming back so they did the culture and gave me the Macrobid.

I just don't see why a medicine that is sensitive to the bacteria wouldn't cure it?

Yeah I'm thinking I may have to be on it longer or need something else.

• Posted

In the second cycle, Macrobid might do the trick.  Frankly, Macrobid is usually my "go to" for a UTI and I've never been given less than a 10 day cycle.

• Posted

You sound just like me, I have been dealing with bacteria under 100000 colony count of strep b.  The best antibiotic to get rid of this is penicillin which I too am allergic to, I tried amoxillian, but itched so bad I could not finish, Macrobid does not kill this bacteria and I get rash and short of breath from Sulfa.....so my only option is Cipro which is scary in itself sue to potential long term side effects.  Basically what I was told is to eith take antibiotic with antihistamine......or try Cipro.....The urologist told me they normally don't treat strep unless I was pregnant or diabetic.....but the problem in all this is I have had symptoms on and off for five months.....I have been trying to keep it at bay by drinking a lot of water, cranberry, dmannose, allium, probiotics, vitamin c and d......I have had a break here and there and think I licked it, but when I go for another culture it is still there.  I am not sure what to do either because I am like you,I don't want it to develop into something worse, I just wish there was more options for us.

• Posted

My stomach is in so much pain tonight and I feel so sick that I might go to ER. This is horrible. I don't understand why a medicine made for the bacteria is not working.

I like cipro and prefer it, myself. Never had bad reactions from it that I can tell.

I can't even chance amoxicillin because I'm severely allergic to penicillin. That means I can't take any of the cousin medicines either which are my only other choices with this.

What is a person to do?! I'm at my wits end seriously.

• Posted

this is a post where I can say I really know how you feel.  Macrobid is very strong, once I took only two pills was felt so sick I stopped.  The next time I attempted to try again and itched so bad....can't win.....If my symptoms get worse I would. Take cipro as it is my only hope, would probably start with a low dose and ifI can tolerate it would go higher.  I have an appointment this summer to get desensitized to penicillin, I have been waiting a year to get in.  So hopefully at some point I will be able to take penicillins again.

• Posted

I think each person reacts differently.  Where Macrobid doesn't sit well with you and [possibly] the OP, it's really the one antibiotic which works well for me when I have a UTI.

We all have those meds which don't agree with us or which we're allergic to.  I, myself, am allergic to arythrimycin.  Also, even though I consider codeine one of the best narcotic pain relievers (have always been prescribed it with bouts of gallstones), I can't take it on an empty stomach (which one shouldn't do, anyway) because it makes me nauseated.

• Posted

That is possible?? I had no idea that is possible? How do you do that?

Yes Macrobid was horrible it made me extremely ill and feel as if I couldn't breathe but my urologists said it was either that or the ER for IV fluids because they couldn't do anything else for me. I'm fearing sepsis so I made myself take it and thankfully the side effects have all about went away.

• Posted

yes you can it was the pharmacist that suggested it so I talked to my Dr and I am referred.  They will test all the antibiotics I react to, and then they will desensitize me, starting little by little, it is as low process, but it is discomforting knowing that I can take very little f anything when an infection makes its way to me.  I wish I could get in sooner but the waiting list is insane.....I guess there is lots like us that can't take them.

• Posted

Vancomycin, bactrum?
    • Posted

bacterium is a sulpha drug and the Vancomycin is iv in hospital....I asked my doctor if they could give me iv seeing I can't take oral medication and she said if I can't handle the oral ones, the iv is harsher.

• Posted

Yikes. I'm heading to ER in about an hour. I can't take it anymore.

I can see the Macrobid is in my system because it has turned my urine bright green but my bladder is spasming at this point and it's hurting.

I'm not sure if it's a side effect from the Macrobid or what but I rather be safe than sorry.

• Posted

Found this online. There is a pill form... Vancomycin is also recommended by mouth as a treatment for severe Clostridium difficile colitis. When taken by mouth it is very poorly absorbed.[3]
    • Posted

Urine discoloration can be a common (although harmless) side effect of Macrobid.  The bladder spasms are from your infection since you might be having stress incontinence
    • Posted

I'm at the ER now to see what they can do for me. I was trying to wait for my cystoscopy Thursday but I can't take it anymore. I'll let you all know what they say.

• Posted

The two they gave me in hospital, IV form, worked but they are rough on your veins. They only figured on me being there a day or two. I was there 5. They should have started a picc. They had to restart IV every day. Sometimes twice. The meds kept blowing my veins out. When I finally left I was bruises from my elbows to my finger tips. I have very healthy veins to. Only 53 years old. That stuff was brutal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.