Please help with UTI medicines

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have a recurring UTI now for 5-6 months. I'm allergic to penicillin and sulfa so that only leaves Cipro & Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin).

The urine was clear but the culture came back with an infection and said that only penicillins & sulfas & Macrobid will work.

I'm currently on Macrobid, day 4 out of 7, and I'm feeling worse than I did when I started taking it. I called my urologists office and they said there was nothing they could do and that I had to finish the antibiotic.

Please, does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Why isn't the medicine working when the culture tested sensitive to it? Im so fearful this is going to turn into a kidney infection.

0 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there,

I have every sympathy for you. I am currently in the same position as you. Although I am a self catheterising patient. This makes it much worse for me. what they will probably do is put you on an intravenous drip of antibiotics something that you are able to take. Obviously like you say the biggest worry is a kidney infection. I have had a kidney infection a cA kidney infection and was of years A kidney infection and was hospitalised a couple of years ago due to this. ago and was hospitalised for it whereby I nearly lost my life. They really mustn't neglect you, if you feel that the current antibiotic isn't doing the job, I personally would seek a second opinion. It really is miserable all this infection. I'm even trying a trial vaccine called Uromune. It may be something that can help you. Please keep me posted.

Best wishes

Sam

• Posted

I also should have mentioned something called Hiprex, they offer it to people like ourselves who are allergic to most other things. It is like an acid though and very painful in the bladder for me. It could be another option for you.

Best wishes,

Sam

• Posted

He told me my urine came back clear and he didn't do bloodwork because I wasn't fevered and I didn't have back pain. He offered but I said no.

He looked at my culture and the Macrobid was one of the strongest antibiotics to cure it; and that more than likely, it has irritated my bladder and caused a cystitis type deal. Like a chemical reaction. He also mentioned possible yeast infection but I told him I'd have them check Thursday at my cystoscopy appointment.

They gave me pyridium to take for pain. So I'm just going to try to hold out until Thursday and see what the urologist says.

• Posted

I just got my culture back today and by all my hard work it is now cleared, thank goodness!!!  Going to keep up with my probiotics, cranberry, d-mannose, Allium, decrease sugar intake, lots of water......and hopefully it will never return smile  So thankful I was able to combat without antibiotics this time smile

• Posted

Thank you everyone so much! You all really helped me tonight. It's nice to know you're not alone.

• Posted

I have very similar problems to you and am also allergic to most antibiotics. My UTI is usually E-Coli and for that I either have Macrobid or Cefalexin. I react badly to Macrobid so Cefalexin is the drug I always have. What has helped me a LOT is having urethral dilation - day patient procedure in hospital here in UK - not sure where you are. Perhaps this is something for you which might help.
    • Posted

Macrobid actually ended up helping me a lot. I'll keep the other in mind tho in the future just incase!

• Posted

Oh actually I think that was one of them that would help but it's a cousin of penicillin so there's risk of allergic reaction! So they didn't give it to me.

• Posted

I would be surprised if it was, as I am allergic to penicillin and am absolutely fine with cefalexin. The urethral dilation is what has had the most beneficial effect for me. Cranberry is a waste of time, BUT drink 2 lites a day and a good probiotic is also essential I think. I take one which targets specifically the vaginal / urinary area of a woman's body and I have been taking it regularly for over a year now and swear by it. Will PM you the name.

• Posted

Thank you! I was just looking some up. I quit my antibiotic a day or two ago and already my symptoms are back.

This is dreadful. I have to drive to town tomorrow for a urine culture now and wait days, again, for it to come back.

I was supposed to take Macrobid once a night for preventative but I'm not doing it as one dose is not helping my bladder and I don't want to risk making myself immune.

• Posted

Did they tell you what bacteria that you have?  Macrobid only works for certain ones only.  Some one mentioned monorol, that one too is not a broad spectrum and only works for a few bacteria.  You mentioned Cirpo works for you, if you don't mind me asking why are they not treating you with that instead.  Not long term of course, but to get rid of what you have now.    

• Posted

Because the culture sensitivity showed most sensitive to Macrobid, penicillin, and sulfa and I'm allergic to penicillin and sulfa. They didn't say what type of bacteria it was, though.

I did a urinalysis today and it was all clear, no leukocytes or nitrites, so now I'm waiting on another culture which I won't get back until Monday.

• Posted

It looks like the Macrobid might be helping if the urinalysis is clear...that is awesome they are doing a culture with a clear urinalysis, a lot of the doctors here would not order a culture if the urinalysis is clear symptoms or not.  Hopefully the bacteria is gone.  I know how stressful it is to have these symptoms and can't take much of anything for it.

• Posted

So frustrating! You've been a big help tho thanks a lot! It's nice to have people who can relate to how crappy it is.

• Posted

Yes it sure it!!! I have been feeling so alone in this, and want to cry when I get a flare up, but knowing that there are others going through the same thing and totally understands is great support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.