please please help matazapine and venflaxine hell

Posted , 6 users are following.

i was put on matazapine 15mg after getting serotonion syndrome off sertraline and anti sickness meds were given together off the hospital big no no apparently. i was on up to 150mg sertraline over 7 years never a problem. bearing in mind id been panick attack free for 3 years before all this happened. after a week of sides of the matazapine i settled on it alright and it was getting me some much needed sleep. plus it was meant to be helping me get out of the dark depression/low the syndrome and cold turkey withdrawal or week of hell it had put me through. i was on 15mg for 6 weeks and my mood improved for week 2-3 and then they just seemed not to work at all so i was put up to 30mg not a problem. however even though it improved my mood my aniexty just got worse and worse. plus after beening on 30mg for over 8 weeks i was fin ding the more time went on the more spaced and drugged up i felt aswell. the doctor suggested last week to increase me to 45mg i took one tablet big mistake it sent me manic a rare side but it can happen and was told not to take another and go back to my 30mg after 6 days of beening back on 30mg i contacted the gp as my aniexty was just geeting worse to the point i was straching my skin raw on my arms. the doctor told me not to take my 30mg that night which was the wednesday and start taking 37.5mg venflaxine on the tuesday morning one tablet twice daily. within 40 mins of taking the ven i got a serve burning senstation and only managed to make it to my hallway before i projectile vomited everywhere. the eposide was very long maybe 30-40mins max of beening sick but then i felt very nauseas all day and my eye began to hurt i looked in the mirror and all my left eye had suddenly become bloodshot. after an emergency phonecall with the gp they said theyd never heard of a reaction like that to venflaxine and not to take another. he then prescribed 15mg matazapine to take that last night one a day for a week then one every other day and come of all drugs which im not happy about. well today ive woke up and i feel like death, nuasea but not beening sick my eyes hurt, i have orally thrush in my mouth, diarrehea ive actually had an accident today embrassing, hot flushes, pounding head. my aniexty is near enough gone however which is an improvement lol, heads pounding whats going on with me i feel shaky but im not shaking and my mood is very low again and ive just been in crying fits i need help. everything the doctors seem to be givening me is making me worse they also missed the syndrome at the begining of the year it took me going to a&e for me to almost getting sectioned for the to realise it so i dont have much faith in them my local pharmarcy and i quote said im too over dramatic for them cheek. if you know me youd know i am normally someone who just gets on with things i did serontion syndrom for a whole week at home looking after 3 kids till i snapped and that was hard beleieve me i just dont like the fact my mood is lowering the other things are bearable i guess any advice or help which be much appericated and im sorry to rant on so much im just so fed up and lost i dont know what to do x  

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Today I've woke up and feel worse and I had a sensation of sheer doom and panick come and go. I had to contact the local crisis team last night and they quickly released why I was feeling more sedated on the 30mg the doctor had also prescribed me codine which was interacting with the matazapine. I stopped taking the codine days ago as I found it wasn't helping so might be why I feel more alert and awake/less sedated but I still feel sick I've been sick 10 times this morning and had diarrhea twice and the shaking is starting to become very noticeable and the crying fits are worse. I don't know how much more I can take of this. I'm still taking matazapine 15mg. I think the worse thing is the stomach pains diarrhea feeling of doom and shakiness even though mild it feels like I'm just about to have a fit and it won't stop. X
    • Posted

Hi I take Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine! Ven was increased 11 days ago to 150mg and mirt was increased three days ago to 45mg! I feel all nervous and shaky and it's making my anxiety worse I've been like this for weeks now and keep having hot flushes! Like I feel all nervous r like something bad is going to happen it's horrible I'm hoping it will ease!
    • Posted

I only took one Venflaxine and Reacted badly to It so was told not to take another I'm now on a reduced dose of matazapine. I'm sorry to hear your suffering like me it might just be me but I wouldn't have advised they increase both of them at the same time. Hopefully it is just the start up effects for you and it passes quickly. However if you were feeling like this before the increase it could be just aniexty playing tricks on you and hopefully as the increase helps to calm it down. Im debating is mine aniexty rearing it's ugly head bup I actually feel calmer or an I having withdrawal from the reduced does. X
  • Posted

Hi Lauren

So sorry for your anguish and suffering.  Hope this helps a little:

I only know about Mirtazapine, not the other meds.  I have done a lot of research and have learnt that it is a difficult drug to withdraw from.  Having re-read your post above, I see you were on

15 mg Mirt for 6 weeks

30 mg Mirt 8 weeks

45 mg once, last week sent you manic

Back to 30mg for 6 days

Now docs advice 15mg for 7 days, then 15mg every other night then come OFF.

I think it sounds like you have Mirt withdrawal symptoms, doctors don't accept that the sudden drop fromn 45mg to 15mg can be so harmful/bring on these symptoms. Even 30mg to 15 mg suddenly can bring these on.  But many many people on this forum have had symptoms like yours.

The scratching is a common symptom of Mirt', definately the anxiety when switching doses, messes with your head and brings on the shakes you describe.  

Although you have only been on Mirt for about 15 weeks or so, in my opinion, you need to stabilise NOW, stay put on the 15mg - DO NOT GO ONE EVERY OTHER NIGHT.  Tell your doctor you want to stay on 15mg if you feel ok on this, however don't confuse being sick/nauseas, aching limbs, weepy, stomach cramps as a symptom of being ON mirt, it is more like a symptom of coming off a higher dose far too quickly.

Hope this helps a little, wishing you well.  Try not to worry too much, you will get bettter, been there (horrid place, only way is up now).

Calmer x

• Posted

thank you so much i did start to think could this be withdrawal. how long do you reckon it will take to stablise on 15mg. the crisis team have talked to my doctors and adivsed not to take me off it but stay at 15mg till next week then go back up to 30mg as there is no other ad i can take. sad i took my last 30mg on tuesday next and only didnt take any wednesday night then been on 15mg since. ive also noticed slight palpertations or heart fluttering coming on sad i was wondering if just taking my 30s again will sort out this mess but since the mental health team advised staying at 15mg till next week to give the reaction that happened with the venflaxine out of my system and coz ive been so up and down but i feel so ill its unreal. when i first started taking matazapine it sent me manic aswell at 15mg only one night so wasnt that bad i just competely freaked out when it happened at 45mg again as im on my own with 3 children and when i first started my mum was staying with me to help stablise me. only good thing is i feel so less drugged up now im debating was all the trouble for the 6 days on the 30 down to me taking that 45mg. arghhh its just reminding me so much of going through that syndrome and then cold turkey withdrawal from setraline which made me go so low i dont want to drop again sad xx
  • Posted

or do you reckon taking a 30mg will only make things worse since i havent had a 30 since tuesday x
    • Posted

Hi Lauren

Palpertations & heart fluttering is anxiety, anxiety is often twinned with depression, but on the other hand it may well be the withdrawal.

I 'think' now you're on 15mg Mirt' and previously you said you have started to feel a little better, it may well be best to stay on this.  Other folk on this forum (quite a lot) have said upping and downing the dosage of Mirt' messes with their head and brings on anxiety ... if poss do you think you could stay on 15mg?  It really helps with sleep and protects from intrusive negative thoughts.  Maybe give it a couple of weeks & then see how you feel?

I mean has the sickness stopped?  It must have been hellish going thru' the nightmare of wd from straline - it's unlikely that you are going to go through this again ... you've got your hands full with 3 children and being on your own ...

Quite a few of the forum users are beating the drum for meditation for relaxation - do you think you might be able to try this?  Just 10 minutes twice a day would be a great start?  There are a lot of "guided meditations" on You Tube ... could you poss have a little listen?

What time are you taking the Mirt ... I think an hour/hour & half before bed might be best ... if you're having weird dreams that's the Mirt too ...  

Wishing you well Lauren - i'll check in later to talk to you.

Wishing you well,

Calmer xx

• Posted

Hi yes I'm staying on the 15mg but they want me to go back up to my 30mg next week which I was on I haven't been.sick today which is an improvement. But I still feel bad heightened aniexty and hot flushes when I wake up the the morning especially twitches and twitching sensation especially in my eyes and face and arms ect. Eyes hurt it's more a fluttering in my chest. My mood has significantly dipped I was going through phases of crying and anger yesterday. This is most definitely withdrawal it's similar to the sertraline Withdrawal but not as bad I guess. I just wondering if hopefully I may feel better if I actually took a 30 tonight inside of a 15mg as they have been.advised to put me back up or would that make this worse and bring on a whole new set of symptoms since I haven't had a 30 since last Tuesday night. Or should I just continue to take the 15mg tonight till everything settles but then when they put me back up I'll just go through sides again I was settled on the 30mg until they gave me the codine and messed it all up.
    • Posted

Hi Lauren

As tempting as it may be, I would say to stay on 15 mg ... you won't get any worse on 15 - but maybe, just maybe if you take 30, as said before you may have increased anxiety.

I wonder about asking your doctor for propranolol, if there aren't any indications not to take them - like asthma for instance ... it's a beta blocker, good for anxiety, one or tweo folks on this forum take the 'slow release' type which last all day ... just a thought - check with your doctor.

I really think you need to stabilise on 15 mg, feeling the dip in mood is probably part of the wd also.  

Take care, look after yourself xx

• Posted

Hi lauren 

i have been reading calmer response to you and I totally agree with her words. 

I think you need to stay at 15 for at least two weeks and see how you feel. 15 is mostly considered a starting dose with 30 being considered the maintenance dose. I have been taking 22.5mgs which is 15+ 7.5 mgs.

I feel you are suffering WD symptoms and it's just time that will make things settle for you. How are you feeling today? Having three kids to look after at the same time must be so difficult. Depression is what I call a silent illness. People can't see it there are know visible wounds but it sure as hell hurts inside. 

Thinking of you 

teresa 

• Posted

its most definently withdrawal which now i understand it makes me so miuch calmer and easier to handle that im not actually going insane lol. ive managed to eat today and not be sick thank god and actually left the house today and went to my mums with the kids for tea which was nice and i didnt have a panick attack which was brill. i just have to get on with it dont i. i think the more i sit here dwelling on it the worse it will be. the aniexty seems to be first thing when i wake up its at its worse. the shaking seems to have calmed right down today which is another bonus but i have looked very out of it has friends have said. i think the worse thing now is this splitting head ache and the mood swings one min i fine then im crying or im really angry lol. the twicthing seems to have calmed abit aswell.i still have an upset stomach though in the bathroom department but my mum bless her has taken the kids tonight for me so i can go and talk to the doctors in peace. ive just taken my 15mg and going to try to get an doctors app for 2moz to sort this out. im hoping this is the tail end now and its getting better as today hasnt been as bad as yesterday so im hoping to wake up 2moz and it be better again fingers crossed lol. im hoping thats the way it works anyway and today hasnt just been a good day and 2moz ill be back to being ill and not wanting to get out of bed xx
    • Posted

Glad to here things have improved Lauren stick with the 15 mgs and see how things go. Give them a chance to work and if not doing enough try 30 mgs. From what I have read on this site most people don't do to well on 45mgs.

Enjoy the peace of the day from the rest from the kids and I am glad you are going to see the gp later. Things will get better it's just time.

• Posted

Hi Lauren

Think you're getting more positive yayyyyy ... one day at a time though - your say your friends have commented ... you know we (me included) have to remember that Depression & Anxiety is an illness and like any other illness we cannot expect a quick fix and have to REST ... and YES AGAIN - dwelling, or ruminating seems to accelerate anx & dep, like a whirlpool spinning downwards we have to try and stay at the top.  

Mirt wd has it's good days & bad days, you seem to be having a good one, hope today/Monday is a good one too - although talking to your doctor today may make you edgy, if indeed you got to see him/her.  How did you get on?

Wishing you well Lauren x

• Posted

Hi I'm just waiting to be seen now I feel awful again today. I have to see them orders of the crisis team to be checked over the shaking is back again and a very bad headache but I couldn't sleep properly last night also the d is back sad I'm hoping he says I can just go back up and make this he'll stop. I don't see why they are putting my through this just to put my dose back up at the end of the week it makes no sense to me what so ever. But I'm going to follow there advice and hope they sort this mess out they caused x
    • Posted

Hi I've just got back from the doctors he confirmed it is withdrawal symptoms and he wants me to start increasing back up to 30mg like the crisis team have advised but very slowly and Said my symptoms should improve as I increase my dose and even out on it. He wants me to take 2x 15mg tonight then 15mg the next night then 2x15mg again and if no sides have another 2x15mg the next night if sides take just a 15mg and so on until I'm taking 30s everyday. They've said it obvious by my emotions I'm ready to handle a reduced dose and they need to stabilise me quickly as it has been.alot of changes and messing round however I'm really debating taking a 22.5mg instead of a full 30mg tonight to do it more smoothly what would you advise or should I just follow the doctors suggestions. I also have blood tests to check my thyroid as he said sensitivitype like mean can indicated thyroid. Problems and increased aniexty. So hopefully if it is that they can give me something to solve this and stop it happening x
    • Posted

Hi Lauren

Good, you've seen the doc & everyone is now singing from the same sheet !!  It's WD - silly doctors upping & downing Mirt on you - no one can do it - it's not a sleeping tablet or a tranquilliser, consequences are so disturbing, as you've experienced.  Right well ... you know what's best to do, you said so yourself, 22.5mg, I agree.

And the dep you feel today - are you sure it's not the tiredness because as you said, you couldn't sleep well last night.  Mirt does this, some nights sleep just won't come, not very often, but then the next night makes up for it.  It's not the end of the world, I'm sure you'll sleep better tonight.  Take your dose an hour or hour & half before bed, and relax well before bedtime/switch yourself off, dim the lights, no pc games etc.

You'll get through this, you'll soon be stable on the meds & then you can try and forget the recent torture - and maybe advise folk on here who are being ill advised too  smile

Wishing you well Lauren xx

• Posted

Glad to know you have seen GP Lauren.

You are really suffering but I hope with the excellent advice from Calmer you will indeed feel so much better.

Calmer ,I too always find your advice to be very helpful, thank you so much.

May all beings be happy and peaceful.

Sunbird.

• Posted

Thank you the doctor said I should feel better by the end of the week which is amazing hahaha he said the mental aspect might take some time but I expected that yes he did say it's been alot for me lately and no wonder I'm feeling so rough with it. I'm actually feeling better tonight it's always worse in the morning for some reason thank you so much for helping me through this and even though today has been rough I got dressed I went to the local town in sheer panick and brought paint and started to paint the kids room and feel better for it the longer I still there dreading how I'll I feel the worse it will be so keeping busy and just working through each symptom as it comes seems to be doing the trick for now xx
    • Posted

Just wanted to say well done Lauren. I agree with calmer trust your instinct that's usually the right approach. I took 22.5mgs and it worked well for me. Stay low and go up if needed. 

Kepp your day busy/ planned if possible and listen to some guided meditation on u tube if your anxiety goes up in the morning when you wake. Lots of little things help when put together. You are not alone as there is plenty of people on here that can help you 

• Posted

Yes upping and downing - or settling down to Mirt - symptoms worse in the morning - think you're prepared for that now - some days seem good, some days kick your feet away but it's the Mirt settling down again, you'll be ok soon smile

Hope you're resting now - are you in the UK Lauren?  I'm in the Midlands xx

• Posted

Hi yes imust in UK Liverpool....thanks yes it's defo worse in the morning so I'm prepared for it now and just tell myself once that's out the way I can get on with doing my stuff and have a normal or whatever normal is day lol. The most annoying part now is it feels like a twitch in my noes buy it's not twitching lol yes I am just on couch ready for bed soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.