PMR Diagnosis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with PMR around 6 weeks ago. I am a 67 year old female. Developed pain in my left arm, shoulder and neck which over a period of 2 months spread to the right arm. Did not come on suddenly like a lot of people's symptoms. Blood tests came back abnormal and Doctor put me on 20mg of Prednisolone which helped the symptoms but the pain in my left arm did not go. Doctor then reduced dose to 15mg and I was feeling great for about 10 days. Then the pain in my arm came back with a vengeance and now can hardly lift it. Also feeling really fatigued and shaky with massive hot flushes. Not sure if this is the PMR or side effects from steroids. More blood tests this week and see doctor next week, but the pain is really getting me down.   Wondering if the steroid has been reduced too soon. Would be grateful to hear if anyone else had similar experience. Thank you.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Joanne - you may have answered your own question.  You say your bloods came back abnormal - which test?
    • Posted

Thanks for your quick reply. The CPR and ESR results showed high levels of inflammation which made my doc conclude PMR.
    • Posted

You need to read the British Society of Rheumatologists Guidelines on the Treatment and Diagnosis of Polymylagia Rheumatica, there are on this site.  The search panel is top right hand corner.

Did he do a Vit D  deficiency test as an exclusion test?   This causes aches and pains just like PMR and you can have both.

• Posted

The link to these resources is https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pmr-gca-website-addresses-and-resources-35316

Unfortunallysome folks can get normal results in CRP and ESR so it's not always conclusive.

I would ask your GP/MD if you can go back to 20 mg for a couple of weeks more and then reduce down only by the recommended 10% (20 mg down to 18 mg) and also ask for the Vit-D test mentioned by Lodger.

Best of luck and welcome to the club we all don't really want to be a member of!

• Posted

Thanks for the information Lodger. The doctor did not do a Vit D test as far as I am aware, so will ask for this when I see him next. Have also looked at the guidelines and will go with a number of questions to get a clearer picture of what is going on.
    • Posted

Thanks again for the advice. It seems like a massive minefield at the moment, but I can now go armed with some questions that need answers.

Thanks also for your welcome - as you say it is a club we do not want to be a member of.

All help very much appreciated.

• Posted

Sounds like you need a higher dose to get the pain under control before reducing.

The shakey feelings and hot flushes will be the prednisone. Fatigue could be the PMR or the pred, take your pick! Pred doesn't get rid of fatigue, only the pain.

• Posted

Thank you.  That is the conclusion I am coming to. Shaky feelings reducing somewhat now, but hot flushes and fatigue still there. Went out and bought a fan which is helping and just taking things easy until I see my doctor.

Great to have input from you all.

• Posted

Yes, taking it easy will be a key to helping you feel better.  We all tend to overdo things when we are no longer crippled by PMR!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.