Polycthemia and life insurance

Posted , 8 users are following.

i was recently diagnosed with Polycthemia - will i be able to get life insurance?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I don't know about life insurance but I found it difficult to get mortgage protection insurance.... gave up in the end sad

• Posted

It depends on which company you deal with. I've read on another forum that Aflac doesn't consider Pv a cancer. Not sure cause I haven't tried, but others have stated that. Start with Aflac and see what happens. It's only about 5 years that MPNs were re-classified as cancer. When I was dx they were called MPDs. Myeloprolifitive Disorders. Now it's Myeloproliferative Neoplasms. Neoplasms means cancer. 

• Posted

John, My company offered Alfac supplemental life insurance a few years ago and I was refused when I applied due to PV. Just relaying my experience with them.
  • Posted

Well there you go. As Bill just stated, he was refused. I'm thinking it's gonna be almost impossible. What about those companies I see on tv that say no medical test, nobody gets turned down? Think it's a gimmick or real? 

• Posted

Hi Linda,.

Hope things stay well with you and that you are coping OK.  March isn't far away so trust you are bracing yourself.  Good wishes for the future and for the New Year.  Nice to see you about once more.

Peter.

• Posted

Hi Peter I've got the Pegasys in my fridge. Going to hem early Feb. I don't think the Jakafi is doing me well. My plates have risen to 687 on my last cbc. HCT is ok, I think 36. Hope you're doing well. You and Jakafi are doing well together. Guess it's not the same for everyone. Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda,

It will be interesting to see how you fare with Pegasys as you seem to find Jakavi intolerable.  Yes, I still carry on with this which so far seems to suit me well, but the long-term affects are still unknown so its  still wait and see.  Your readings are a bit amiss but the platelets although higher than normal are not too much out of kilter are they.  Maybe the Pegasys will put things back together.  Let us hope for the best for you.  My next clinic is in two weeks or so and I really don't expect any worries.  I still carry a concern about the Jakavi relationship with skin cancer though but will discuss this with the haematologist.  In the meantime, stay well and will keep in touch.  

Peter.

• Posted

I really think the insurance referred to with TV adverts is in respect of travel insurance policies where time is restricted.  As has been said by Zapamania, it all depends on being able to to find a particular insurance company that is willing to accept someone with PV.  I don't know where you are based but in UK try Age Concern or one of the charities dealing with MPN's which could put you on the right track.  I think that many people would like to know the answer.  Travel insurance is another consideration.  I have one that covers me until I won't need one but it is a very special and private agreement.  Life insurance isn't a question for me but it all depends on your personal circumstances and whether the life companies will take any risk.

• Posted

Hi John insurance is something I haven't looked into so I don't really know I suggest you put the question on the site someone will know I'm sure sorry I can't help

• Posted

Sorry John dont know about life insurance but I've had no problem with travel insurance.

• Posted

hi john, hope you dont mind me asking. my husband has polycythemia and are are looking for life insurance.

did you get any? if so what help did you get? what insurance company please?

• Edited

Yes but the rates will be inflated due to the PCV. I did not buy any additional insurance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.