Polycythaemia. Taking Anagrelide

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

Used this forum when first diagnosed almost 6 years ago.

Been plodding along quite reasonably on Hydroxicarbamide.

Until last year when I developed an ulcer on my ankle which wouldn't heal due ti the Hydroxicarbamide.

So Anagrelide prescribed instead in about January. This doesn't seem as effective and my Blood Levels have been all over the place.

Has anybody else with PV been taking Anagrelide and if so how have you found it?

Hope somebody can help

Janet

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was also taking Hydroxyurea for essential thrumbosethima and jak2. after a few years I lost my food taste .about six months ago I stated taking Anagrelide. My food taste has slightly improved .I have no side effects so far. I'm taking 12 mg per week .My platelets are now in normal range. Other than price , $8 for Hydrixyurea vs $40 for Anagrelide with my insurance ,I feel much better with Anagrelide .

• Posted

ulcers and lost food taste, main two side effects of hydroxycarbamide for me..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.