Possible IBS misdiagnosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been having abdominal pain for around 7 months, loss of appetite, bloating etc, I was diagnosed with a stomach ulcer first until they changed heir mind nd decides it was IBS but since then I've started bleeding out of my rectum when I go to the toilet, I'm only 17 though, what do you think it could be or I should do?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I do think that you will need to talk to gp about bleeding. Have they carried out any type of scans or tests at all? I do get small amounts of blood but it's only when constipated and they put that down to straining.

I still get the same symptoms although I have had ultra sounds, X-rays, ct scans and then finally a scope and all were clear.

If you haven't then I would suggest talking to gp about some investigation

I have put up with mine for years now but it is peace of mind when test are done.

Kris

• Posted

Hey,

Doctors haven't done any kind of examinations or scans or anything, they've asked me about bowel movement, I'm neither constipated or have diahorea.

They seem to be so useless so I decided to Google my symptoms and it's saying bowel cancer, I'm really worried.

I tried pushing for scans but they just gave me medication and said it was IBS instead but that was before the bleeding started.

• Posted

Hi

I would get to your GP ASAP. Bleeding is not good, and you should get yourself checked out. Good luck Dd.

• Posted

Thankyou, I think I'll have to, I've asked be to investigate before the bleeding started and they refused, do you think they will if I'm bleeding?
    • Posted

Hi Sophie

Bleeding is not normal in any situation, I am not a Dr. There are various causes of rectal bleed. If you present yourself to the Dr. I am sure he/she will help you. Go as soon as you can. Dd.

• Posted

Definitely talk to doctor about bleeding. It isn't normal. Although there are various things it could be

If not see a different doctor if you can

Good luck

• Posted

What colour is the blood as in light or darker red?

If bright red it could be hemorroids and if you can not feel anything then could be internal.

If darker visit GP

• Posted

Go to your doctor; this is not normal with IBS.  Ask for a colonoscopy and a fecal calprotectin stool test to look for inflammation.  This will determine the presence of Crohns or Colitis.  However, don't google, it will only make you panic.  I did this and was consumed with anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.