Post op complications

Posted , 8 users are following.

i had my gall bladder removed at great expense 6 weeks ago as I wanted to be free of pain etc to enjoy the summer? Now here I am in the huge nhs hospital with a distended stomach and intermittent right side pain especially when I change position either night or day. It has got steadily worse in the last few weeks yet I had felt almost back to normal and certainly able to eat a normal healthy diet as Before. I've had X-rays and a catscan which shows fluid surrounding my remaining organs but no one seems very sure what  to do. My Top man Professor who did the op is conveniently away on holiday but will be informed. They might attempt to drain off the fluid and give antibiotics but a further more complex op may be necessar. I wish now I'd kept my gall bladder, suffered the pain and persevered with the diet. Has anyone else had a similar experience. I am a 72 year old woman with no ther health problems and a fairly active enjoyable lifestyle.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

dearest christine. i really feel for you i have not had my gallbladder removed yet so i cant really say much about this except to offer my sympathy and prayer. they dont give anti biotics for nothing so sounds like an infection which is one of the warnings on the hospital letter i got here in scotland of things that can go wrong. and especially anything that causes pain after gallbladder removal is because of an infection. im hoping that they can sort this out with the anti biotics. at least you are in the right place at the moment.keep us posted christine and let us know how you get on. i send my best wishes to you and also a little prayer. 
  • Posted

Dear Christine,  I hope that the doctors can get this sorted for you quickly!  It does sound as if there is some sort of infection.  How disappointing and scary to have this happen!  We're all thinking about you and hoping you get relief soon.  Please let us know how you're doing!  Lynda
  • Posted

Hi Christine, so sorry to her you are having problems and complications after doing well initially.

Really I think with gallbladder surgery we are damned if we do, damned if we don't either way, it is all a gamble and we have to go by the advice we have and our instinct. I do hope you soon find out what is going on and have it fixed without much trouble. Take care and get well soon, Cynthia x

• Posted

Feel so bad for you! I'm 4 weeks post gallbladder removal, and still don't feel better, so can relate. How scary when the professionals we entrust with our care, don't know how to best care for us. Agree that you are in the right place, if you have a problem. Will say a prayer for you and the medical professionals, to lead them in the correct direction with your care. Keep us updated, and chin up! 
  • Posted

Poor you 😞 Totally sympathise. My experience was very similar and I know how unpleasant it is. Hope they sort you out quick and you make a speedy recovery. X
  • Posted

Dear Christina

I'll pray for you that they can fix the problem. I feel for you beacuse I had mine removed five years ago but I still suffer so much. As Cyntia said we are damned to remove it and fanned to keep it. I had a very sick galblader and I was very stubborn to not to remove it. I was afraid of the surgery and removing my organ. But whatever I did it could not help my situation. Therefore, I end up having a complicated surgery that kept me in hospital for nights and sent me home with one week drainage attached in my stomach. Later on I found out that the Surgon had difficulty removing my gallbladder due to sever infraction and inflammation so during the porsidure he drop some stones and he had to remove them somehow. So I don't know if all this causing me all the pain or what I just know that I am not the same person that I was before. And he keep saying that he didn't do anything wrong there. I did many tests even MRCP but all were normal Tnx God. But still in pain and suffering.

At least they found your problem and hopfuly they Can fix it and this is a good news. Xoxox

• Posted

there is special e-rays you can get to show gallstones in different parts of the body as iv seen a video i am trying to find it and the article also said that the liver may still makes stones atfter the gallbladder has gone and this video clip showed up the gallstones in someones body i will definitely look for it. im not to well just now. just getting better after 3 weeks of pain, 
    • Posted

Let me know about the x-Ray name. And I had MRCP which is a special scan too. But now I feel more pain in the large colon specially during the bowl movment. After the gallbladder surgery the bowl movment changed as well and now I am severely constipated.

I don't know if this can effect bowl movment as well. Are having issues with your bowls too.!

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear your suffering, I had my gallbladder removed about 3 months ago,afterwards I was readmitted to hospital due to blockage, since then I have good days and bad, some days I have unexplained dizziness, I also have muscular pain some days from where my gallbladder was, but cocodamols seem to work for me. I can't eat a large amount of fatty fried foods in one go but apart from that I'm back to being able to eat what I want, even though I suffer dizziness ,muscle ache etc I still feel taking gallbladder out was the right thing.I was miserable living on porridge,fruit and salad and hated living with the constant fear of a gallbladder attack.. All the while during my first attack in august until my removal in December I wasn't truly aware of the negative effect gallbladder problems were having on my liver function...this is the reason it took me so long to feel kinda normal again after surgery, it was due to according to my gp.that my liver was being stressed constantly by a gallbladder that wasn't functioning properly. It took 12 weeks after surgery for my liver function to return to near normal levels.. So be aware that sometimes even if you feel you could have put up with gallbladder issues via careful diet that it maybe the case that liver problems could occur if gallbladder is not removed... I have no regrets.. Tonight I'm going out for a meal and can very much pick whatever I want from the menu 😀..,hope you are better soon x
    • Posted

In those 12 weeks of recovery, did you still have symptoms? Weakness, any nausea, back aches, digestive issues, or still not having appetite? I am 4 1/2 weeks post op, and still having all those. Don't have diarrhea, but having bile still in my feces, almost daily. I feel like I'm still losing weight, and this scares me. I am so happy you recovered. Hoping we all will do the same. Any advice for us?
    • Posted

Thankyou Jay for your reassuring message. I had some fluid aspirated with localanasthetic( painful) today and samples are being sent for testing I am taking antibiotics now in case there are bugs.. I am hoping that that's it and the fluid will drain away naturally if it's not too infected. Like you I am going to resign myself to some intermittent pain but am grateful for being able to enjoy my food so long as I don't overeat. I am hoping to be out of hospital tomorrow. Thankyou to all who have replied. I will keep you posted.
    • Posted

Hi, Christine! Hope you are feeling better!  Please take care and let us know how you're doing!
    • Posted

Hi,yeah some days were awful,felt really unwell and couldn't stand long enough to wait for the kettle boiling. Sometimes I would have 4 days where I felt like I was getting back to normal then the next day I'd feel weak and dizzy and hardly move from the couch...yesterday at work I was 4 hours on my feet without sitting and today I've felt tired and experienced the odd stabbing pain in my right handside but I know it's because I over done things yesterday, we can all see scars healing on the outside but probably takes longer to heal internally, my gp said not to lift anything heavy for 6 months so probably my own fault I get pain when doing too much...I think regarding digestive system we have to remember that we no longer have the cup full of bile that gets thrown out of gallbladder to digest fat after a meal and now our livers take on the job of trickling a small amount constantly to aid digestion so some meals may upset digestive system if there isn't enough bile to cope with a big amount of food...I went out for my meal tonight and had chicken in a cream tarragon sauce 😀,I can hear my digestive system working as we speak but apart from being a bit loud it isn't uncomfortable.. And actually hearing your digestive system working is a good sign that it's doing its job....some days in the beginning when I over ate (body had been starving for months) I would feel uncomfortable and afyer I ate I would take mebeverine tablet which would settle tummy quickly for me....everything is a learning curve.. I ate a sausage supper from the chip shop a few weeks ago and had severe bathroom issues! Makes sense as it was definitely fat overload!... I still get dizziness from time to time which I take prochlorperazine for when needed but as time is going on the good days out weigh the bad..and as my gp says allow 6 months to a year til you feel totally back to normal, as she says you've had an organ removed from your body and things will take time to adjust to this...backache is an issue with me when I've been standing too long,however cocodamols deal with this and allow me to cope... We are all different and all will adapt to life without a gallbladder in our own way but atleast it's reassuring to know that others go through the same things 😀...x
    • Posted

Yes it is! Thanks for the reply. You sound so very close to my symptoms, that's why I asked so many questions. Just one more, if you don't mind. Did you lose a bunch of weight? That is one of the scariest things for me. I've lost a lot, and really not putting it back on yet! Thanks for your wonderful words of wisdom! I'm just going to take it day by day. Here's to recovery for us both!
    • Posted

Hi Debbie,between my first gallbladder attack last August and December when I had gallbladder removed i lost just under 2 stone,this was because to avoid attacks I was living on porridge ,fruit and lean chicken salad and nothing else, since December I have gained about 10 pounds back due to eating mostly what I want 😀..could have done without putting it back on but hey Ho lol... I was thinking last night about my backache and I think it is because I had 11 weeks off which I was quite inactive and when I went back to work(I'm on my feet 4-6 hours each shift) I'm using muscles which had been given such a rest for those 11 weeks,so I think my backache may not be due to the gallbladder anymore although in the beginning I'm positive it was post op pain,I went to gp a few weeks after op complaining of right side pain that went through to my back and I got an ultrasound scan and it shown no reason for my pain... That type of pain went away and now I'm sure my ache is just due to working. Hope you are having a good day x
    • Posted

Thanks again for the reply. I'm having a hard time putting weight back on, and even when I do get up and walk around, my legs and body feel so weak, I feel like I can't, or I will just drop. I have been terribly inactive since January of this year! I feel real tight around the mind of my stomach, almo as if I can't take a deep breath at all! Just think mayb something else is going on with me😞 Glad to hear you are recouping well! Hoping we all get to our 100%! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.