Post op complications

Posted , 8 users are following.

i had my gall bladder removed at great expense 6 weeks ago as I wanted to be free of pain etc to enjoy the summer? Now here I am in the huge nhs hospital with a distended stomach and intermittent right side pain especially when I change position either night or day. It has got steadily worse in the last few weeks yet I had felt almost back to normal and certainly able to eat a normal healthy diet as Before. I've had X-rays and a catscan which shows fluid surrounding my remaining organs but no one seems very sure what  to do. My Top man Professor who did the op is conveniently away on holiday but will be informed. They might attempt to drain off the fluid and give antibiotics but a further more complex op may be necessar. I wish now I'd kept my gall bladder, suffered the pain and persevered with the diet. Has anyone else had a similar experience. I am a 72 year old woman with no ther health problems and a fairly active enjoyable lifestyle.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Christine, I had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago. For about a week now, just after finishing my antibiotics, I have been having pain under and around my right rib. I too wish I hadn't had my gallbladder removed. The pain is mainly at night when I'm in bed where I find it almost impossible to get into a comfortable position. I also feel like there's a air bubble moving around the same area at times too. I do hope you feel better soon x 
    • Posted

HI Ellen I do understand how you feel but it is early days for you and most patients feel uncomfortable for a number of weeks after the op. I was ok I thought when I had the follow up withe consultant and he said he considered my op to be a complete success. That was15th March. I started to have stabbing pains one week later and noticed my tummy had become distended. Then the pain subsided and I went on a family trip for 2 overnights 150 miles away. When  returned I felt awful and went back to my doctor who sent me to hospital.I was investigated thoroughly an some fluid was taken via a needle for analysis. It was found to be clear with no sign of bile in it. I am now at home after 4 days in hospital on two types of antibiotic..what I'm saying Ellen is that we have taken the irreversible step and have to look for the positives and try to be optimistic.the trouble is that most of the doctors/ consultants tend to tell us it's a simple operation which we will recover from completely n a few weeks.It is not a simple op. It requires great skill and when you think about what is done and  how it's done, I'm surprised there are not a lot of mistakes. You do need to go back to your surgeon and tell hm how you are.I do find I can eat without pain now so that is why I had it done.I think Jay has the best attitude to the pros and cons of the op. The medical profession just need to be more honest with people. If your life style is not sufficiently compromised to feel you can't cope any longer then you have to have it.out. apart from that a diseased gall bladder full of stones left n the body can only do harm causing pancreatitis and even cancer.I do hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.