Post rai

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there had rai on 13july. Went back for 6 week check up and im more hyper than i was before i had the treatment. How long before it starts to work.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Some people require more than one treatment.  Why did you choose to have RAI?
    • Posted

Hi i wasnt given a choice. I have been underactive for 26 years then over for 4 years. I have had carbimazole for 15 months then stable for 6. The last doctor i saw just said i need to have RAI. I just want to feel normal again.
  • Posted

I haven't had RAI yet but my doctor told me that it takes 3-4 months to work and some patients need a second dose. You are more hyper than before because if you were on methimazole before, you stopped taking it. It takes a while for the radiation to take effect. Good luck! Let us know how you are doing.
    • Posted

I havent been on any meds for 18 months because it isnt stable enough. I can go from overactive to under in a couple of months.so every time i go back to the hospital its different. Thats what i dont understand,i was underactive in June. Had RAI on 13th July  but by 24th August im back overactive.
  • Posted

You may have Hashimoto's and Graves.  Has the doctor checked your antibodies?
    • Posted

Yes i do. I was wondering if i would be best having a thyroidectomy instead of another bout of RAI if it doesnt work in time. I felt fine when i was on Levothyroxine for 26 years.
    • Posted

Being on Levothyroxine when you still have a thyroid and being on it when it is removed are two different things.  Your thyroid produces more hormones than T3 and T4 and when it is gone, that won't happen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.