Pre Hysterectomy, to keep cervix or remove

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there, I'm 47 with a 26 yr old daughter. I'm due to have my hysterectomy this Thursday 2nd June. During to enlarged uterus, fybroides and thickening to the lining of my womb. All non cancerous. But due to painful heavy periods and the above I'm having a hysterectomy. My consultant asked if I wanted to keep my cervix, i said I wasn't sure, what did he think best. He said its upto me. So I would be grateful if any1 could help.

I have a very fun loving sex life with my partner and I don't want having it removed to affect this, and vice versa.

Many thanks in advance

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am 44yrs old, last year I had a vaginal hysterectomy due to very similar issues as you. I kept my ovaries, had uterus and cervix removed. After the innitial week of some discomfort and understandable pain, my body recovered. I have to say the freedom from periods and pain is amazing. Sex is great too!
    • Posted

Hi Marketa,

Thank you very much for your reply. I've heard different stories from people. But wanted to ask people who have actually been through it.

So having ur cervix removed hasn't caused any problems with sex, as in u still feel the sensation and full pleasure. Sorry 4 personal questions. Just it's a big decision to make.

• Posted

Absolutely! It has not affected anything for me in that way whatsoever.
    • Posted

I pray you didn't have it removed. Mt surgery was Nov 30,2015 & I have NO sex life!!! It sucks, I have tried twice and it hurts to much. I had sex 2 weeks ago today abs I'm still in excruciating pain. I didn't even know my doc was going to take my cervix until minutes before the surgery.I only researched my uterus when I asked yin he said I could keep it but he would have to do a c section! So I agreed. Now I hate hon BC I'm in so much pain!!!!! Best of luck. Xoxo
  • Posted

Don't have it removed Catherine.  If he's given you the option I wouldn't risk having potential problemw with your love life.  Some women, I have learnt from this forum, have no problems with removal of cervix, but others have - and other women online have too.  My love life has been ruined and to be honest I am bitter about this.  I mentioned about the cervix to the surgeon and he said nothing about problems and said he's do what he saw fit when I was on the operating table! It never occurred to me that loss of the cervix would have an effect but I believe it has.  Good luck
    • Posted

Hi there Assassa. Thank u sooo much 4 ur honest and upfront reply. I'm so sorry to read this has made u bitter and ruined ur love life.

I'm in a newish 2 yrs relationship with my 1st love from school. So this is massively important to us.

Thank u again x hope things work out for u x

• Posted

I had TAH last June x with tubes x cervix removed due to cancerous cells, they took some tissue x muscle as a precaution, I had the same as you fibroids, enlarged uterous x thickening of the walls I didnt hesitate to have everything removed x hasnt changed my sex life at all but everyone is different x you should do what you feel comfortable with. Good luck with what you decide to do
  • Posted

Just a foot note as well you dont have to go for smear tests anymore x there is no chance of it turning cancerous if its all gone. The biggest complaint that I hear on here is people having hrt after they have had It done due to it bringing on early menopause
  • Posted

It depends on whether you rely on your cervix to reach an orgasm. If you do then don't have it removed but continue to have smears.
    • Posted

Thank u very Matron. I don't rely on it for that. But have heard so many different stories and wanted to hear the thoughts and views of real people who have actually been through it. X

As I need to make my decision by Wednesday night.

• Posted

Some women do and that's why I asked. I know gynaecologists who ask women the question outright to help them make the decision. Most gynaecologists in your case would rather remove the cervix so there's no risk of cervical cancer in the future. Good luck for Wednesday, I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine and will come to the right decision.
    • Posted

Thank u again. Truly grateful.

I will be back I'm sure after its been done to have a chat and catch up. With a daily diary. Hehe

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.