Pre op on Wednesday.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys!

I never had surgery before so I'm kind of scared... I have ovarian cysts on both ovaries. the one on the right is 5cm and the one on the left is 4.5cm. The doctor told me to get an MRI (I had it on Friday) and now my pre-op appointment is on Wednesday. He also said there's 1 in 3 chances of removing an ovary. What questions should I ask at the pre-op? What should I expect before and after the surgery?

Thanks in advance ~

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi i just got surgery a little over a month ago for a large dermoid cyst. i was so nervous leading up to the surgery and i was in so much physical pain because of the cyst. as far as questions, i actually spent more time on youtube and forums like this to hear real womens experiences, it was so helpful and reassuring. tips i can give you after surgery- you may need a stool softener or organic laxative as (at least for me) to regulate your bowels, dont change positions quickly, do not sleep on ur sides only lay flat, do not fold your body when bending and make sure you walk each day..be careful with keeping your cuts try and let them breathe!! lmk if you have more questions.

• Posted

i havent had mri yet but await consult appt. i have bloating, small lower pelvic ache, bladder frequency, nausea, occasional diarrhoea and massive anxiety, what were your symptoms?

• Posted

i had all of that except not really diarrehea or nausea .. dull ache that radiated from my thigh to my leg, lots of back pain, hormones were very out of whack, even night sweats but that was due to my extensive anxiety and paranoia .. as soon as the cyst was removed i had no more symptoms except bloating obviously because ur tummy is healing

• Posted

oh and my surgeon saved my ovary! gyn also said they prob had to take out my right ovary

• Posted

Try not to worry.

Pre op they should give you instructions - last meal, drink times etc

On the day you will likely be sent to a waiting room where the surgeon will come in and talk to you before your surgery. Thats the best time to ask questions so write down anything as your likely to forget. Ask when you can drive/lift/have sex etc and anything else you want to know. You will have to sign some consent forms.

Then if your lucky you wont have to wait to long but it depends where you are in the list. Then you will be taken to the surgery suite and they will put you to sleep (its scary but a nice feeling).

The next thing you know you will be in recovery - you may feel a little angry or anxious or tearful - thats just the anesthetic and wears off quickly enough. You will feel groggy and pain wont be too bad.

Then you will go to your room or ward and you will just be sleepy/again not a lot of pain. You will not be allowed to leave until you can do a wee and probably eat something. After however many hours the nurses see fit and depending on whether you have weed you will be discharged with instructions and pain meds. Make sure whoever is with you pays attention to your discharge instructions as you probably wont remember. You will need someone to stay with you for 24 hours.

Once you move around and lie down again you will likely experience some gas pains, in my experience this was the most painful thing but only for the first day or 2. You can try simethicone (windeeze). Follow your aftercare instructions - This will probably be not to shower for the first day or so, dont get the dressings wet etc, rest. You may be given a stitch kit to take your local Gp nurse to have stitches removed if you dont have disposable stitches but that wont be for a couple of weeks.

Pain wise mine wasnt too bad, the gas was painful but only lasted a couple of days and only in certain positions.

I did after a week or so have this weird tugging feeling which i was worried was a hernia but i think it was internal stitches or something as it went away. You will be walking ginger and you will need to rest rest rest but personally I also found after the first day or 2 that moving around a little was helpful to shift some gas and feel human.

Look out for any signs of infection with the incisions but as long as you follow aftercare instructions and keep them clean/dry then you should be fine.

Good luck

P.S you cant even see my scars.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.