pregnancy and pcos

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi I am waiting for results to find out if I am pregnant for the first time since finding out I have pcos but one thing ia confusing me and always has done, pcos causes your hormonal levels to become imbalanced and making the male hormones become too high so would this not mask the actual levels in your body for tests to pick up??? Because the way I see it and no one will explain it to me, surely it would have to elevate to become "normal" and thenhave to go even higher before a test will pick up the levels? If someone could answer this for me I would be so grateful as I have wondered this for literally years and now I have loads of symptoms including sickness, a 'pressure' just above my knicker line, constantly hungry (not like me at all!!), extremely emotional and easily start crying (again very much not like me, usually takes a lot to make me cry. ...usually) and always extremely tired. Have been to socs and she said it sounds like I am pregnant even saying the sleepiness was the clincher but I am worried about the test results. Would be great to get some feedback. Thanks Hayley :-) xx

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Hayley, I am not a professional but have had PCOS for 5 years and have picked up a lot of information over the years.. A pregnancy test detects the level of HCG hormone is in your urine which increases depending on how far along you are. It doesn't look for any other hormone and so shouldnt be affected by anything other than your HCG levels. You shouldn't get a false positive (although not impossible) For early on pregnancy's you need to look at a more sensitive test, one that only needs 10 mIU/mL (this will be displayed on the test packaging) tests come in different strengths so the higher the number the more HCG you need to have present before getting your positive. The symptoms you have mentioned could mean that you are pregnant but unfortunately, pregnancy, period and ovulation symptoms can all be very similar and can vary from person to person so it's very difficult to be sure. Do you know how many days past ovulation you are or how many days late you are for your period? Jo x
    • Posted

HCG Is A Homone ...PCOS AFFECTS HORMONES . I DONT SEE HOW IT WOULNT AFFECT YOUR HCG LEVEL.
  • Posted

Hi thank you for the info. I have irregular periods so I have no idea when I ovulate and it is a rough guess as to when I am due on veey roughly I have a cycle of 35 to 48 days I use an ap to try and help pinpoint whwn I come on and so far it has been right within a few days. I think I am due on over the weekend the only reason I am so convinced I am pregnant is because the last time I felt the way I do now and had all the symptoms I have now is when I was pregnant with my son before my pcos flared up. I will see if u can get a sensitive test and see what that says. Thanks again :-) Hayley x
  • Posted

you sound very similar to me, it's so difficult to know for sure, my temperature chart looks like an earthquake chart so god knows what it's going to tell me lol... Just remember that if you are early the test might show negative until another week or so. Fingers crossed you get the outcome you want x
  • Posted

Thank you hun I have absolutely everything crossed for a positive result :-) x
  • Posted

So according to my ap I was due on yesterday, took a test today that said it detected the hcg from the first day of your missed period and it came back negative. I am absolutely devastated and terrified because if I am not pregnant what is wrong with me???? Even the doc said all my symptons were signs of early pregnancy, my body and mund is telling me that the test is wrong but what if it isn't? Am so worried and scared :'( I have a doctors appointment on Wednesday. I just want to cry!! If anyone has been through this and has any advice I would really like to hear it, good or bad. Thanks
  • Posted

Sorry I haven't been on here in a few day... how did it go at the docs? x
  • Posted

Went to docs yesterday and she couldn't decide if there was a positive line or not as it looked like it in some ways but not in others so gotta go back tomorrow for a blood test but even she said I have all the symptoms of early pregnancy including the not well known ones and she also said that sometimes it does take the urine twsts a while to show up so just going to have to wait and see what the blood tests say. Should hopefully get results on monday :-/
  • Posted

Oh I really hope you are!! Hope these next few days don't drag too much for you! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, let me know :o)
  • Posted

Thank you, I am really scared that the tests are going to come back negative as that means there is something seriously wrong somewhere if the urine test hadn't come back negative yesterday there would be no doubt in my mind that I am pregnant, I just feel it and I feel exactly how I did with my son 8 years ago. I have absolutely everything crossed for a positive result but we shall see :-) I shall let you kbow when I get the results x
  • Posted

Try not to worry as stress levels can affect things too! They do say a woman's intuition is to be trusted! x
  • Posted

Am trying is very tricky keeping stress levels down at the moment as on top of everything I am moving next weekend as well! Lol am trying to take things easy though :-) will let you the outcome though, thank you :-) x
  • Posted

How did it go? x
  • Posted

Still don't have the results :-( I phoned them twice yesterday to get them and both times they just said phone back so am going to call back again this afternoon and hope they have them! Suspense is killing me, I'm not patient at the best of times lol :-)
    • Posted

hey pixiedust1989, what ended up happening with you? I'm in a similar situation right now rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.