Prescribed Tranexamic Acid and Mefenamic Acid combo...

Posted , 20 users are following.

Been prescribed Tranexamic Acid and Mefenamic Acid to treat light to middling bleeding and period-like abdo / pelvic pain after having Implanon (contraceptive implant) put in 6 weeks ago, I know the bleeding and pain is due to a temporary Hormonal imbalance after having the implant so it seems odd to chuck such a large quantity of drugs at the situation.

Anyone else had the same prescription???

And looking at some of the other posts on here, does it even work???

Any advice will be gratefully received by a very confused patient!

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry spelling mistake my bleeding disorder is called von* willebrand
  • Posted

Hi my daughter is 14 and has just been in hospital for a blood transfushion due to having such heavy and big clot periods, she was given tranexamic acid tablets which did help but was only allowed to take for

7 days, she has never stopped bleeding spotting type, she has now come on again, but the period is getting heavier and clotting again, she has not even managed to return to school from xmas. Any help would be

good, she is also on warfrain due to having a heart op two years ago x

• Posted

Hi everyone, I've also been through similar experiences with drugs that don't seem to work very well and being anti-drug and operative procedures probably doesn't help either. After bleeding for full months heavily I tried raspberry leaf from the health shop and stopped in two days. This reduces the flow. I started using it in my late thirties when menopausal symptoms started and always had light periods but couldnt get it for a while. Its now in Barretts. They also recommended 5HTL, a mood lifter which is good for pain. Finally, do not take iron tablets as they build up in your system and cause constipation leading to weight gain - use Spatone, a water based iron. I take three sachets three times daily during a period, availabe from leading chemists. Probably the most effective treatment I have had is reiki but just cant afford it at the moment because its £50 per session but when I did it I felt the healthiest I've ever been as I also have ME and Fibromyalgia. I would love to hear if any of these things work for anyone else. It is ongoing and isn't an overnight quick fix. The menopause goes on for years, is extremely debilitating and painful. Even to get momentary relief is a bonus so hope someone will benefit from my post. I wish you all health and happiness x.
  • Posted

i have been on tranexamic/ mefenamic combo for a number of years now . i have had a heavy period lasting for 7 days since i first ever had periods before my 11th birthday .. they didnt reduce the blood flow but they helped with the pain and to make it more manageable by clotting even though i use super plus tampons and a pad for my own security of leaks ..... in april this year i had my normal period lasting 7 days then nothing till mid june when i had a week of on off spotting before the flood gates opened and i have been heavy bleeding ever since the tranexamics/ mefenamics are not helping so today i went to see my gp he has now prescribed norethisterone to stop the bleeding so they can investigate ( can't do vag ex whilst bleeding ) also organised blood tests to check for aneamia hormone levels etc .. i have had polyps in the past ......... heres hoping the norethisterone works
  • Posted

Since my last post in 2012 my problems increased rapidly. My periods started to last for 3-4 weeks with very heavy bleeding and blood clots. I became very anemic and was taking very strong iron tablets which was not good for my bowels. After numerous check ups with consultants they discovered that I had too many fibroids to count, endometriosis and a cyst on one ovary. I was given all of the options but

ultimately it would lead to some sort of surgery.

I have only one child but I opted for a hysterectomy. I am now 3 weeks post surgery and it is the best

thing that I have done. I am no longer anemic, I can move around but of course I am not able to lift

anything yet.

But, I can already see light at the end of the tunnel. I can see a day when I will not be bleeding heavily

and I can have a better quality of life with my family.

My advice to all of you is not to suffer in silence. Research all of your options (there are many) and get a

second opinion. If you need to have surgery look at the options. It can work, it just depends on your state of mind.

Lastly, you will not be the only person going through this type of thing. Talk to family and friends as much as you can as this will give you reassurance.

• Posted

Hi

I had the Tranexamic acid Mefenamic Acid combo for about 18 months - then insisted that the GP addressed the cause of the heavy bleeding (by this stage I was losing about a litre of blood every 3-4 weeks) rather than just sorting my anaemia. The drugs to to stop bleeding worked so well I also got DVT - so do be careful of taking them long term.

Once referred to gynae consultants, lots of large fibroids, and thickened womb lining diagnosed resulted in recommendation of a hysterectomy, which I really wanted to avoid. While undergoing diagnostic stuff I was prescribed oral Northisterone; this did cause migraines extremely high blood pressure, but eventually the scariest blood loss that ended up with being admitted to hospital (the consultant advised it was probably shedding of the too thick womb lining).

In the end I was fitted with a Mirena coil - delivers synthetic progestogen locally, so tons fewer side effects compared to Northisterone. That was about 18 months ago; I still have the fibroids, and have put on weight since the mirena was fitted, but I'm absolutely fine now, no bleeding, and without the hysterectomy that several consultants said was unavoidable.

One tip I'd recommend to anyone with exceptionally heavy blood loss is using a menstrual cup rather than pads/tampons (or use it with pads if bleeding is so heavy you're worried about overflow). Aside from holding with higher volumes of blood, it makes it lots easier to calculate the actual volume - which I found was key to getting both my GP and the consultants take the blood loss more seriously compared to when I was just saying that I had heavy periods.

• Posted

Hi Liap

Could I ask how long you were on the combo before you got DVT please as I have been taking Tranexamic and Mef Acid continously plus Norethisterone for over 3 months now. I am waiting for a hysterectomy so hopefully won't be on the for muchildren longer but have been concerned about the length I've been taking them for.

Hope you are well now

• Posted

Hi everyone, I thought I would share my story maybe it will help someone somehow.

I am 32 , when I was sixteen my period started as normal but this time is went on for nearly two months it was very heavy with a lot of clots, I collasped and ended up in hospital. During my time in hospital I had blood transfusions as quick as they were putting it in, it was coming out, I felt like I was just a tube that the blood just trwvelled through from the drip through my body and out again, I was of course anemic so was put on tranexamic acid, plus northisterone and a progesterone tablet, they tested me for haemophilia, leukemia, fibroid, cystand von willerbrands disease, I was in hospital for 3 weeks after they had put a progesterone coil in to try and stop the bleeding because it came out when they sent me home because the bleeding was so heavy. All tests came back normal and they said I had possible von willerbrands but could not say for sure. They then started me on zoledx injections which also didn't work. A haematologist doctor met with me in uclh london and she prescribed me ddvap which is also known as desmopressin, it has now been 7 years since I have needed any medication or had any problems with my bleeding my periods like clockwork every 26-27 days lasting 5 days.

That was until last monday when I started the microgynon contraception pill, I have now been bleeding for 11 days and trying to figure out what it has done.

• Posted

Hi. I'm 20 and I've recently been prescribed Tranexamic Acid and Mefenamic Acid together because I get such heavy and horrible periods. So far it is working fine. As soon as I take the Tranexamic Acid tablets my period is usually gone within 2 to 3 days. I take the Mefenamic Acid because I get really bad period cramps.

• Posted

Hi I had the Mireya Coul fitted and had to have it removed after about three months.......my hormones were all over the place. They then fitted the copper coil.....now this actually worked for a couple of years. But then I turned 45yrs old and my periods came back with a vengeance.....big massive clots, the force of the blood pushed my tampax straight out and it felt like someone turning on a tap inside me. Then I was put on the pill this seemed to work for about a year now I'm back to square one..... I could have a couple of months with not a speck of blood then without warning at a theme park just got off the roller coaster and whoosh.... blood down to my knees. I am now thinking I have had enough of this and maybe it's time to have my womb removed but keep my ovaries in tack..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.