Progressive Visual / Auditory Hallucinations with Vertigo & delusional thinking

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

Really need some help and advice, if somebody would kindly oblige.

Around 10 weeks ago, I had what would be described as a common cold. Running nose, chesty cough etc. Which cleared on its own after a few days, however following on from that, even though my cold symtpoms have gone, I'm having progressively worsening mental problems.

As a background, I'm a fit, healthy eating 28yo male, have no events recently that could be deemed stressful or eventful. Around 8 weeks ago following on from this cold, a started having spntenous bouts of dizziness, to the point where if I was standing ... i wouldnt be for long.

I thought nothing of it and recovering from the cold I just presumed I was still under the weather and that it would pass. Over the past 8 weeks my symptoms have gotten progressively worse, to the point now where spontenously between 3-4 a day whilst awake I have, what can only be described as blackouts... I'm conscious and can hear / see / smell / feel my surrounding, but my brain tells me that I dont need to pay any attention to it all and I seem to find great satisfaction in analysing the smallest detail of every physical item in front of me (kinda like spot the imperfections in items if that makes sense), Im having random visual hallucinations (not severe but see people in shadows and eyes watching me through windows etc) auditory hallucinations (people whispering in my ear and such when nobody there, music playing when no music on).

Overall I feel completely out of it, all of the time, like i'm living inside a large bubble or a dream.

I've also noticed that my heart beat is very irregular and I sometimes feel short of breath, this is not me being paranoid either, my friend has felt this and mother also.

Have visited the doctor, who ordered a chest xray and cbc blood tests, all normal. ECG was done, all normal results. He has now referred me to a neurologist, but that was two weeks ago and so far nothing as yet.

Has anybody any idea what is going on with me. Do not say i'm tired or having anxietyattacks... I can sleep 24 hours at night and still feel like this and I've had anxeity attacks several years ago and they are in no way those.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Spenc

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Spenc

You are not crazy, nor are you alone. I suffered from identical symptoms, and although some have

Diminished, others have risen. Typically when Auditory Hallucinations are accompanied by Vertigo

and headaches, it is suggestive of a stroke.

I have spent the last 15 months dealing with nearly every autonomic cardiovascular respiratory symptoms

one Could possibly imagine. If you wish to discuss this further I would be more than happy to, as I know

Exactly how you feel when doctors don't connect all the dots, and having been called a neurotic

Hypochondriac while in the end test results proved what I had told doctors

All along.

• Posted

Hi Trixie,

Thanks for your reply.

I did visit a neurologist, who had me undergo a CT scan, an MRI with contrast as he suspected the same thing; either a stroke or an aneurysm. Both tests came back clear with no indication of either. Had to have a lumbar puncture (which was god awful btw) as they then suggested increased intercranial pressure, but again, normal and cultures showed no growth so no infection either.

I had a 48 hour holter monitor for heart rate, which although showed bradycardia, wasnt low enough to show concern and with my blood test results being very good (apparently I have a very very healthy red blood count) they decided that it was a minor stress induced psychotic episode. I work 12 hour night shifts and they based it around sleep deprivation (which is stupid as although i'm working during the day, i'm still having a healthy and well rested 8 hours of sleep in every 24).

None the less, they asked I take a period of leave, so I booked a few weeks off. Symptoms have very gradually lessened over the past few weeks and I appear to be returning to normal to be honest, so I'm guessing they mave have been right?

Trust me, I know exactly how frustrating it is when doctors keep insisting that I was having panic attacks. I had the paramedics out to me one night when I was at my worst, heart rate was recorded as low 40 bpm's at one point, felt short of breath and dizzy and completely out of it, couldnt finish a sentence with the paramedics as I would forget what I was saying. Off to A&E we went, doctors diagnosis, anxiety attack. Sigh!

Have you managed to get any formal diagnosis in your case yet, or are they still palming you off?

Ross

• Posted

I have Bilateral Peripapillary Optic Nerve Atrophy, and PACNS, (Polyarteritis Nodosa, and CNS Vasculitis), Two remote Global Hypoxic Ischemic White Matter Injuries, a small aneurism at the Mid Cerebral/Temporal Junction, Ptosis, my heart valves all regurgitate, S2 Tachycardia, Autonomic Dysregulation, and more.  My circulation is failing and I can't fake turning purple, and new onset Diastolic Hypertension.

The main thing is the CNS and systemic Vasculitis.  You may also want to be checked out to see if you had a brain stem stroke, have them check your serum

HS C Reactive Protein as it is more sensitive to Vasculitis than your ESR.

Do you have Pulsatile Tinnitus as well?, I have both Pulsatile and Regular Tinnitus.

I just recently had another long episodic period of Severe Vertigo and all the rest, and it was triggered by severe emotional trauma.

PACNS, not only causes increased cerebral pressure, strokes, seizures, heart attacks, it basically punches holes in every organ, blood vessel, lymph channel, have them check out your Kidney as well.

I'm on the road right now, but I can tell you that you are correct, ER tend to Dx Panic Attack, and don't go further, I was put I. A psych evaluation room, and I was actually having a severe vasculitis attack.

Do not ever let them push you away, as well keep persisting.  I may have a partial diagnosis, and my Neurologist of 15 years  from years ago is now advocating for me, but now 2 major facilities are going back and forth on who should do what and all during a time that is critical for them to start treating me as my eye condition worsens, and without treatment I will go blind sooner than later.

One other thing is to have them check for Vascular Ehrles Danlos or other Connective tissue disorders.  Make sure they check your eyes, as they can tell a lot if you have optic nerve damage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.