Prostate Cancer Biopsy Results

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am due to get to get my prostate cancer biopsy results next week.If I want to get a second option (nation health ) can anybody tell me what to do.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Washie I hope your results will be OK.  If you need a second opinion check this out: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/910.aspx?CategoryID=68  ; I Googled: NHS second opinion.  BTW: if you need information in the future, Google is a great resource and so is YouTube.  Have a go!  Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks to you and ieeniepie for information 

I will talk to the community when my results arrive.

• Posted

All you have to do is go to your gp and ask for a second opinion. They will refer you to another consultant
  • Posted

I got my results from a UK Regional Hospital and requested a second opinion. I was told repeatedly that the grades are peer-reviewed and therefore there was no point. I was then referred to UCLH. Luckily, they DID review my biopsy results and gave me a difference Gleason score (not radically different but it did shift me from 'high risk' to 'intermediate risk' ). Therefore, I would urge anyone to get a second opinion - after all the biopsy result is far and away the single most important diagnostic result.

Good luck

• Posted

Many thanks for your information. I agree a 2nd opinion is important and your results are proof of it.  I will keep you informed. Did you change your decision on treatment ?  If it's not too private,what treatment did you choose?                                                                                                             Thanks again
    • Posted

It did not change my decision because a further MRI revealed that the tumour was nearer the sphincter than first thought. I am 56 and the PCa progress based on PSA doubling time did not look good. Because the tumour is so close to the edge of the capsule and there is a risk of some having escaped, I have opted for Radiotherapy (IMRT). I am currently on hormone therapy and will commence IMRT in the new year.

​I think your first step is to get your biopsy results. If they are 3+3 or 3+4 I would consider Active Surveillance depending on your age and other health factors. Have you had an MRI? I insisted on an MRI prior to the biopsy as I wanted the biopsy to be targetted (despite instructions to the contrary, I still got an untargetted biopsy!). If the biopsy proves positive you will certainly be sent for an MRI. If you wish to do further research, google 'Partin Tables' and these will give you an idea of how advanced any PCa is likely to be. I would also look at what risk group you fall into - again there are tables to determine this. You can take comfort in the simple fact that only a small proportion of people with PCa will die fomr it - most will die with it.

​All the best,

David 

• Posted

Good morning David.  Chain of events over past 4weeks.  Psa 168----Urologist/DRE----Truss/Biopsy untargetted---Bone scan----X-ray. Going for MRI on pelvis tomorrow. Have Appt booked for next week.  So far have been given little information other than at first meeting with Urologist when he said I definitely had PC.and would most likely go Hormone/Rad.route. How have you been with Hormone treatment so far?        Thanks for your help.               Washie
    • Posted

Very early days (about 2 weeks) so too soon to tell. The occasional hot flush but really very mild. I expected to suddenly take an interest in shopping for shoes and talking endlessly on the phone but neither has happened. Curious thing though, when I go to the loo for a pee, I get an urge to sit down.

​Only joking of course - so far very few side-effects.

​You don't give your age, which is key when considering treatment. Although your PSA is high, was this a 'one-off' as it could easily be caused by an infection? Remember, PSA is PROSTATE specific, not cancer specific so it could have any number of causes.

​I hope everything goes well for you in the coming week - I appreciate that these are troubling times and you are entering a world with a different language but you have every reason to be optimistic about the outcome.

All the best,

David 

• Posted

Age72. Psa was the first and only so far .I will ask for another test before deciding on treatment.  Funny you mention shoes and talking on the phone,my friends are always calling me a 'Big Tart' so perhaps they are right after all!!    I will keep you informed on next weeks appointment.                        Washie.
    • Posted

PS----What's the name of the hormone drugs you are on?                                        Washie
    • Posted

Bicalutamide (also known as Casodex). This is routine - it has a threefold purpose:

1) Reduces the size of the prostate

2) Reduces the size of the tumour

​3) Make the tumour more sensitive to RT.

​Age 72. Hmmm. You do realise that most men in their 70's have PCa?

All the best

• Posted

Hi Washi

​I have just completed 2 year of Hormone Treatment (Zoladex every 12 weeks). Same side effects as David1094.

• Posted

Thanks supercargo--assume Zoladex was by injection not by tablet.  Have you had or are you going to have Radio T.       Washie.
    • Posted

Hi Washie.

Yes my Zoladex was by injection.

I completed 37 sessions of RT 18 months ago.

Blood test last week gives PSA <0.1>

• Posted

Thanks superman!-I will know more Thursday(I hope). Will post outcome to everyone interested ASAP.          Washie
    • Posted

Got my results yesterday --Gleason 4/5-9.  T3b. M1a.  Fairly aggressive cancer and has gone into seminal vessel only-thank God. Strangely enough I am happy it has not gone any further. Put hormone Cypoterone Acetate for 3 weeks .Going for lnjection next week ( don't know name ) and getting appt with Oncologist.  My thoughts at present to ask if it's possible to just stay on Hormone treatment ,no R.T.. Oh PSA 168!     Has anybody used Cypoterone ?   Keep smiling.       Washie

• Posted

Hi Washie

I too had staging T3b into seminal vesical.

Had RT 18 months ago, completed Hormone Therapy (Zoladex) earlier this month.

PSA = <0.1>

• Posted

Hi -- superman,    I believe going on Zoladex next week,assume it is by injection.When did you start Zoladex before or after RT. Any side effects worth sharing ? Any advice for a beginner.     Washie
    • Posted

Hi Washie

14/8/13 Bicalutamide tabs as pre hormone therapy treatment.

2/9/13 to 25/9/25 10 Zoladex (Goserelin) injections 10.8mg every 12 weeks months. Occasional light bruising in injection site, depending how enthusiastic the GP was. You will be offered local anaesthetic by the GP pre injection. Without the anaesthetic no problems.

14/1/14 to 7/3/14 37 RT sessions.

RT went well, once you get into the routine of water intake and enema.

At the end of RT, getting up several times overnight for a pee , onco prescribed Tamulosin for 28 days which sorted it out.

PSA at start of RT 6, after RT <0.1

testosterone negligable.

low white blood cell count.

april 2014 low white blood cell count resolved itself.

side effects of rt. loss of pubic hair on belly and legs,

both above eventually came back .

side effects of hormone treatment. slight increase of man boobs, increase of waist measurement. decrease in libido.

you will find it helpful when you meet other patients in the rt waiting area. they will all be at different stages of treatment, and i found it helpful to chat about both their, and my concerns. testosterone="" negligable.="" low="" white="" blood="" cell="" count.="" april="" 2014="" low="" white="" blood="" cell="" count="" resolved="" itself.="" side="" effects="" of="" rt.="" loss="" of="" pubic="" hair="" on="" belly="" and="" legs,="" both="" above="" eventually="" came="" back="" .="" side="" effects="" of="" hormone="" treatment.="" slight="" increase="" of="" man="" boobs,="" increase="" of="" waist="" measurement.="" decrease="" in="" libido.="" you="" will="" find="" it="" helpful="" when="" you="" meet="" other="" patients="" in="" the="" rt="" waiting="" area.="" they="" will="" all="" be="" at="" different="" stages="" of="" treatment,="" and="" i="" found="" it="" helpful="" to="" chat="" about="" both="" their,="" and="" my="">

testosterone negligable.

low white blood cell count.

april 2014 low white blood cell count resolved itself.

side effects of rt. loss of pubic hair on belly and legs,

both above eventually came back .

side effects of hormone treatment. slight increase of man boobs, increase of waist measurement. decrease in libido.

you will find it helpful when you meet other patients in the rt waiting area. they will all be at different stages of treatment, and i found it helpful to chat about both their, and my concerns.>

• Posted

Thanks super-  your history will help what looks like a long road to better health.     Keep in touch.             Washie
    • Posted

Forgot to mention.

Hormone Therapy caused me night sweats, and hot flushes. I understand this will persist for some time after completing the Zoladex.

Small price to pay.

For sure we will keep in touch.

• Posted

Update---psa down from 168 in Sept.to 19 on 25/11/15 just on Zoladex only .   Onco. Advised just Zoladez no rad or chomo.forimmediate future.No cure possible .Hormone therapy should keep me alive !!.  Next PSA result due in 2 weeks .Have you or anybody any thoughts on next appointment.                 Washie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.