Prostatic stones of prostrate..

Posted , 11 users are following.

Helllo...I'm three days from have the Turp procedure. .as I'm reading more about it..more I thinking of second opinion and nervous about the post op problems. I'm 48 years olds..been diagnosed with bp since late 20 twenties late 30 thirties with a small prostic stone about the size of small tip of pinky finger.....over the years had bouts of UTI of bladder..had a stone removed a few years ago..and some urine retention. I have more good days than bad days. Just recently had a digital recital examination. ...found my prostrate to hard..so my Urologist decided with x rays..found to have many stones..I asked him about cancer he said no cancer..just never seen so many stones..and asked him what causing all these stones..his reply they don't know why.. He then refer me to another urologist from same hospital to do the turp procedure. .During the consultation he didn't have all information and pics .Cuz they forgot to sent him the information. ..so sitting telling him what's doing on..he says I'm too young to have the procedure,cuz of scarring tissues problems. He also performed the digital rectal examination ..he said my prostrate doesn't seem hard..and also he don't how many stones there are.. he was very optimistic about it ..said he need to talk to my urologist. ..he called me a few hours later after I got home..he said he'll do the surgery. ..after reading about the Turp..not sure if it the answer. .thinking of doing more testing , serching other options. ...Thanks Andrew

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The turp should be your last resort. A new procedure called rezume has way fewer side effects. If u can wait a year or so check out PAE-prostate aerterial embolization. Surgeons get paid to do surgery. Always remember that. TURP is downright medieval and any surgeon wanting to do that first thing should be dropped like a hot potato.
  • Posted

Just had a TURP on June 1st. Recovery was easy after catheter was taken out on June 9th. On the same appointment I learned that removed tissue came positive for Prostste Ca. BTW, I am few years older than you and was told the same that I am to young for TURP but still it was done to clear my problems. I am 51.

Good luck and fast recovery.

MK

• Posted

I am happy for you.  Did you look at the pros and cons of the surgery.  I hope you don't have any of the side effect.  You will get retro and I think that is the worst from a man.  Some men can't handle it and stop having sex all together.  At 61  I still enjoy sex and all it give.  My orgasm are very intense and my lady friend and I enjoy the clean up  Take care  hope all continues to go good for you  Ken

• Posted

Dear Andrew,

Just another opinion. My urologists of 4 years recommended TURP for me in April. After doing due dilegence on the surgery, I opted for a second opinion. No was I'm doing a procedure that includes a catheter for 8 days! No Way!

I pursued the P.A.E. as discussed by David41064 earlier. It's a very new procedure, sometimes not covered, but I went ahead anyway.

I contacted the University of North Carolina Medical center. Unfortunately, all their grant money had run out, but they are re-applying in September. You may be able to get in on that.

I also contacted Dr. John DeMerritt, Special procedures section, Radiology department, Hackensack Medical center, Hackensack, New Jersey. After a week or so of out patient test, I was selected as a candidate and had the procedure done June 14th.

It is an out patient procedure. The procedure itself lasted 5 and a half hours; recovery time with a catheter is 5 hours. Total hospital time, like 12 hours!

It's been just over two months and I'm off all debilitating prostate medications; particularly Finesteride and Tamsulosin. Prior to procedure prostate was 200 mcs. since the procedure it's been steadly shrinking in size. My urination is normal and I get up once a night, usually around 3 a.m., to urinate. No bladder issues whatever. Normal ejaculation is returning along with siemen count rising.

I know what you are going through with just days away from TURP.....but Wait!

Pursue this option. There is NO hurry. TURP is So the last resort.

Gary Hend

• Posted

Look for other options. I would NOT have a procedure like that at your age unless it was a last resort. Get another opinion. Once it is done there is no going back. There has to ba an answer to this. It absolutely amazes me how primitive urology is in terms or prostate health. So little is known. I am 47 years old and having issues much like you are and my Uro just said the biopsy word without even having a PSA test yet, but she believes that it will come back high. It might, but I will NOT have a biopsy as I don't beleive that I have PC. I think I have stones that are causing me prostatitis. It doesn't hurt to get another opinion.

• Posted

With TURP no need to look back. It fixes all your problems for good and 99% of people stop taking flomax ( tamsulosin) and return to normal state fairly quickly leading happy lives for long time. NO BAND AIDES.
    • Posted

You are right do not rush into anything.  I myself would never have a women urologist.  I had a women doctor at one time and she was very nice but a women urologist does not know a mans body just what she learn from books.  At 47  I had a very high PSA and was told I had cancer.  They told me I had to have my prostate removed.  I went to a urologist Had to have all the test.  They did a 13 needle biopsy and it came back clearn.  I had a prostate infection.  I'm 61 now and my orgasm are very intense and I still enjoy having the ejaculation no doctor is ever going to take that away from me.  They only tell you that all will be the same but they can't be sure.  That is what they learn in books.  Let Gary said that is the last resort.  PS  My urologist has told me that he does not do turps if there is something else that will help.  He's 45 and a very good guy and urologist....Ken 

• Posted

Don't do the TURP and never have any surgery without a second opinion. Try Rezum/Urilift/PAE before considering anything like TURP. It's an outdated procedure that has left many in diapers for life.

If the procedures I listed don't work, the fallback position is Holep. But one of them probably will.

• Posted

Old buzzard,

your statement about leaving "people in diapers for the rest I their lives" is totaly not through. It is just advice from someone who never had TURP and want to make others who had TURP look stupid and uninformed.

Like I said many times before: Rezum, urolift and PAE are just band aides but definitely not solution for the problem caused by BPH.

Turp is not more dangerous than any above mentioned procedures and risk from incontinence and impotence is les than 2% respectively.

• Posted

Hi MK51151 - Where did you get the 2%, 2% numbers.  My understanding is 1% for IC and 15% for impotence.

I am glad that you had a successful TURP with easy recovery.  May I ask the size of your prostate pre-surgery?  Mine is large, 100g, and I am concerned that the recovery and risks are worse for those with a larger size prostate?  Thanks.  Mark

• Posted

My statement is true - there's someone on this forum that recently had TURP who is completely incontinent. Of course TURP is more dangerous than the procedures I mentioned, because its a surgery with anesthesia - none of those procedures involve cutting or sedation.

The truth is that no one knows how long each of those new procedures will last because they haven't been around long enough and for sure, But many people would prefer to have something minor like those repeated every few years than have a major surgery once. No doubt, there are more people with good outcomes from TURP than bad. But its the most invasive of any procedure for BPH, its the oldest, has the largest side effect profile (most likely and most severe) has the longest recovery time and in almost all cases, something less invasive can be done.

If you've had a succesful TURP I'm happy for you. But it there are more risks and a longer recovery than any other BPH procedure and it is no longer the "gold standard".

• Posted

You are correct Mike as i had the turp a few years ago and had the cather in for a few days till i passed all the blood cloths and they were only a few.I had it performed at a clinic entering at 8 am and released at 3 pm not feeling any pain at all. The doctor that performed the sergury said he removed a lesion and i will have the results for cancer in a few weeks The test came back negative and i did not take any meds for pain as i did not have any. I am 75 and every thing seems the same as before the operation. I guess i was lucky as most people on this site do not think much of the turp.
  • Posted

While you still can cancel the surgery.  The turp is the first thing they push  and the worst.  It distroys the prostate.  Your life will never be the same.  And it also thke a long time to heal.  Stop it now.  Ken
  • Posted

I am 58 years old and had a TURP two years ago. My life has never been the same after that. I had an exellent surgeon but was never offer any other options. Took me 3 months to return to work. Lots of suffering but no incontinence. Can pee now but discovered I have Interstitial cystitis. My bladder never recovered from all the urinary retention over the years. I still have to pee all the time and have no sex life because of my condition. Everyone is different but at 48 the Turp would not be my first choice. I would wait and make it a last option. Good luck.
    • Posted

Tampafd,

just want to say; your problem with your recovery sounds like to be related to your overstretched bladder which worked overtime for many years. Not being to work for 3 months is very unreasonable unles you are in Europe where it should be about right to have 8-12 weeks off work for TURP.

Mine was done on June 1st, stayed overnight in the hospital and worked from home on June 4th and ever after that with some days up to 10+ hours.

• Posted

If one of your problems is impotence, consider a penile implant. I have one, and they're great.

Neal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.