Prostatisis and UTI?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 47 year old male, generally fit and healthy. I recently had a confirmed UTI, the docs prescribed trimethoprim and blood tests, my psa level was 7.8 so referred to urologist but they threw out the consultation  as psa would be spurious because of uti.

The burning from the UTI has mostly gone, but still 4 weeks later I am suffering with lower back pain, groin and testicle pain, frequent urge to urinate, more of a feeling of a full bladder but dependant on fluid intake, I will go 7- 12 times per day and rarely in the night if I have no fluids after around 7.30 pm. 

The docs has given me a further 14 days of trimethoprim to see how it goes, I am supplementing this with saw palmetto as have read that this could help, but not much change in symptoms so far.

Doc has not performed any prostate examination and only suggested prostatisis because I suggested it! he seems to be quite dismissive and is only keen on sending me for a further psa test in a week or two, as the infection has cleared, maybe this is the only way to get to see a urologist?

paracetamol doesn't seem to help, but as yet avoided NSAIDs as have a haitial hernia and like to avoid these where possible.

a couple of questions, do I need to be more patient? And is trimethoprim the correct antibiotic?

Any similar experiences to share would also be great..

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello...

If it was me I'd get get a second opinion.find one that treats prostate cancer, then if something needs done your already at a place when the nessary steps can take place.

PSA at that number is worry sum.

Don't just settle for what your urologist says.

Carl

• Posted

I'm a bit surprised that the utologist has not done any prostate exam (I mean a DRE is a really fast, and simple procedure) so I would also recommend seeking a second opinion.  However, on the matter of NSAID's, I have been taking Celebrex for years, tolerated well, although I have both GERD and esophogeal spasms.  Now, Celebrex may or may not be appropriate for this kind of pain (my issue is osteoarthritis of feet and knees) but my message is that there are some NSAID's which are easier than others.  As to your antibiotic, it is not familiar to me, but your reference to paracetamol suggests you are in the UK, so there might be a different name in the US for that antibiotic.
  • Posted

Hi 

I had a bad UTI and Trimethoprim worked for me to get rid of it.

I was diagnosed with BPH after a DRE and that led to acute urine retention triggered by a bout of drinking. I was catheterized for 2 months and suffered a second UTI the moment the catheter was removed. I have not had my PSA taken at all as it would not have beeb accurate due to UTI and catheter etc.

Am now looking at surgery options to reduce symptopms of BPH.

Doctors dont seem to be bothered about taking PSA reading at the moment, so I am going with them on that.

• Posted

Hello..

I have severe BPH.

I'm having urolift done this coming Friday.

I was told that TURP was my only option. That's not the case.

All other surgical treatments have retrograde ejaculation. So be careful what you choice as treatment.

I'm 48 an I'm not ready to give up my ejaculation so I searched for other options for me.

Good luck

Carl

• Posted

Look up PAE, and Urolift on the internet and on this site. Do not get a Turp. For why not, again look at this site. .

Neal

• Posted

Thanks guys

I am already on to that and am gonig with PAE which if it works is in my view the best option. The Urolift sounds good but I worry about how permamnent it is in view of the fact that the prostate will continue to grow.

J

• Posted

Hi, as an update, I have had a dre examination which came back as normal feeling prostate and a further psa test which has reduced from 7.8 (with a uti) to 2.9 five weeks later, so still elevated but moving in right direction after uti.  Also had a ultrasound on bladder and kidneys which have shown up a simple kidney cyst. Still have urge to urinate often, although not at night but I am drinking 2.5 to 3 litres of water daily. Biggest issue is currently lower back and knee pain! Have been referred to urologist now.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.