Prozac/fluoxetine side effects and when will they stop

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey just seeing if anyone can help

im on day 13 of 20mg of prozac i struggle with health anxiety badly. i have the worst nausea specially when i wake up at night or in the mornings. i have lower back pain and a sore abdomen these side effects make me worse and think the worse case scenario which sucks.

how long until these pass im trying to hang in and keep taking my dose but its hard. thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hi , nausea is very common side effect and it will go away, just give some time.

All pains are created by anxiety because it keeps us under constant alert and all muscles getting tense and sore, dont worry about it , its normal way to recovery.

13 days is very early, so just be patient and try dont worry about time frames for recovery, take day by day, you will get there

• Edited

yeah i feel like i have real symptoms but i also feel like my mind creates them. its so hard talking sense into yourself and i find im really good at giving advice but really bad at taking my own advice.

Thank you for your reply i do appreciate it.

• Edited

I started feeling a bit better after 3 weeks I had bad effects to, insomnia, body rush, period missing anger , on the more anxious but now got 2 years and I can say that my life is normal, no anxiety , no overthinking and other. I am feeling like everyone else , give some time to the the tablets to get use to it with your body.

• Posted

im so happy for you feeling better. i cant wait to be there myself but i know its a long journey. i was starting to feel better but i have either caught a common flu or these side effects are crazy. i think its just a flu as i have body aches and a sore throat so fingers crossed all the side effects disappear soon

• Edited

Hi Heath, yeah it's not a great time, but you must keep on going through these damned side effects, and sleep/food are vital even if you feel sickness, just hold your nose and shovel it in. Things WILL settle down, I'm in week 7 now and the appetite has come back, not enjoying food yet but okay eating. I actually watched MasterChef last week without shouting at the porcelain, which was nice. Bananas and cereals and full fat milk, dry bread, ginger biscuits, get it down. Try to get some more salt in as well, it's easy to get low sodium levels in this period of food intolerances and maybe going to the loo more as worry and stress makes that happen as well as dehydration so keep the fluids topped up even if you're not thirsty - look up Hyponatremia for that one. The anxiety symptoms are starting to reduce for me at last I think, but morning is still the bad time because the body is producing more cortisol then which increases the anxiety as it's the fight or flight hormone adrenaline from when we were cave dwellers apparently, so only yesterday for me! It's got nowhere to go and be useful these days, so takes it out on you! It loves sugar, so don't put it in your morning cuppa or the cornflakes ok. It will go too, and any nausea about the same time I'd guess. I'm also getting flu symptoms like yours, and thought I had covid but the pharmacist and doctor I saw last week told me these are also symptoms of the pills, along with aches etc, mine is across the shoulders and lower back, paracetamol does help and is safe, but don't take any ibuprofen or those flu max sachets, it knocked me for six! My kidneys started hurting along with my liver then stomach ache, so obviously I got anxious about that, but it's all passed off now - it wasn't anything terminal after all! Bloody health anxiety, which also seems to be settling down, great! Shooting pains in the head today, and my left eye gets a bit unfocussed about an hour after I take the little green b******s, fun isn't it!!? Look, it WILL all pass off and in a few short weeks and months you'll look back and be proud of what you have achieved, possibly one of the most difficult things to get through. These tablets WILL work eventually, even when you doubt they will, that for me is/was the worst thing to get past. All the best to you, don't forget we are all here for help and support mate. Keep going.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.