Psoriasis is a pain in my butt.. Literally.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ive been dealing with itchy red skin in small area on my rear.  Ive always tried to keep quiet and just deal with it but now its spread so much.. Its been over 10 years when I first noticed it.. But now it has passed my boxer area and on the back of my thighs and upper portion of my hip..  

?I finally showed my doctor and he did say it is psoriasis.. Gave me a cream to put on it but didn't want to go with strong dose because he said it may cause more problems for me in the future.. So I went with a very low percentage of cream he prescribed. To me it seemed that it was still too dry.. So ive been using my own fungal creams and sometimes relieve itchiness.  But this is all over my rear.. So anytime that I sit its basically irritating the area.. I'm not extremely over weight.. My bloodwork all passes with flying colors so I'm not on any other type of medication. I don't smoke. I drink very little.. But I work days and night shifts.. So sleep is my big flaw.. And I do notice with little sleep I itch all day and am tender in the inflamed areas.. I have to scratch it to atleast soothe the pain.. I have to.. Ive tried not to scratch and its worse.. If I scratch areas vigorously then atleast I will get relief and be able to sleep or continue on with what I am doing.. currently I'm trying Vaseline product to keep area moist.. I did try to go a couple months without applying anything to see if it was actually true but then my inflamed areas spread.. I'm not sure how much longer I can hide this.. Its embarrassing and wearing me down..    

?I'm only 35 and this itchy embarrassing skin disorder is wrecking me emotionally..

?Is this caused by any other type of infection?  Is it going to be genetic?  no one else has talked about it in my family.  Can someone please fill me in on what to try?

?Last night I slept 13 hours because I was in such pain and this morning/afternoon I feel great with very minimal itching.  But I cant do this everyday for the rest of my life.. Its impossible..

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Cory,

Applying creams & lotions can alleviate itching & dryness but it's reasonably well documented they won't cure psoriasis, which is often triggered by psychological problems & many sufferers have commented on it being aggravated by stress; having your guts in knots can’t be good, which some believe is where psoriasis emanates...

'Negative' emotions like anger, resentment, bitterness won’t help, however, the more you can accept your condition (& whatever psychological problem may have triggered it...) the better the chances of reducing your psoriasis & it’s impact on your life … You've already seen the benefits of a good night's sleep, so it would seem a good idea try to change your life to ensure this becomes the norm, but not necessarily 13 hours every night!

Good luck...

‘You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.’

• Posted

Hi cory2018, 

I have palmoplantar pustular psoriasis on my hands and feet, that started to spread to my legs and lower arms. After much research online, I found Sorion cream. You can purchase at summer herbal dot com or amazon. Apply two to three times daily for the first month (the first 10 - 14 days of applying my areas started to get fiery red and I thought oh crap another waste of money, but determined to see it through for a month, I kept applying it.  After about 16 days my spots started looking significantly better and the redness was now a light pink. I have been using it for three months and my areas are 95% gone.  I have had amazing results. And if you use summer herbal they give out free samples. Also try an all natural soap with neem oil and turmeric and coconut oil or water. That is all I use. Good luck and I hope if you try it it works for you.

• Posted

Gosh im so sorry this is happening to you. I have Psorisis Arthritis and I do understand how you feel. So this may sound funny but have you tried desitin? Also you need something with steroids in it. Ask your Dr for elocon cream. Try a bath with epson salt or if you can go to a beach the salt water does wonders for it. Yes someone in your family probably had it. You probably have an over active immune system. I cant believe the Drs didnt tell you that. I have been living with this a long time. I have my psorisis pretty much under control but I use my medication all the time. You can reach out to me anytime if you have questions.
    • Posted

So would this Triamcinolone Acetonide 0.1%? Cream be the answer to all my problems?  It has made the redness go away some and I did just sleep another 12 hours last night so this morning I feel great.. 

?But I had worked night shift and had lots to do so I didn't go to bed until late and last night I was miserable..

?I had been trying the opposite and not use any medication because I figured all this medication would had bad affects on my body and organs if I get used to taking it every day.  But now I'm going to start trying to use all the medication daily and see if I have better results

• Posted

Its me again LOL Amything with steriods only use for 2 weeks than take a week break. Dont go cold turkey. OK so dont laugh but this will help. Put cream on the one you feel helping. Then get a heating pad and put it under you. The heat will help your skin absorb the medicine. I hope that works.

Jen

• Posted

Uses. This medication is used to treat a variety of skin conditions (e.g., eczema, dermatitis, allergies, rash). Triamcinolone reduces the swelling, itching, and redness that can occur in these types of conditions. This medication is a medium- to strong-potency corticosteroid.. I searched it for you smile Whatever works for you
  • Posted

ok first I want to thank everyone for reading and replying to my post.. I'm desperate to try any suggestions and have written down what seems to be working for you folks.. As far as desitin no I have not tried it and I have only used that raising my children.. I will give that a shot..  

This is what I am currently applying..

?Triamcinolone Acetonide 0.1%   in the morning and before bed to areas

?Pro- Ex Clotrimazole Cream in the morning and before bed as well

?Caldesene Protecting Powder with zinc oxide/talc skin protectant

And rubbing alcohol prior to any application.

?And taking alprazolam .25mg for my stress and to get deep sleep

?And trying this famvir 250mg to see if it will minimize my situation

?I work shift work so I am never going to get a routine sleep pattern..  When I work night shifts I'm adding a different stress level to my body and that is when I feel worse symptoms..

?It really has not been this bad and I'm trying not to scratch surface as much so I'm trying to slap area.. Of course I cannot do this in public due to the area that the psoriasis is at..  If I can just control the itchiness I would be ok with the redness or inflamed area..  Its just in a tough spot to avoid aggravating since its on my rear..  

• Posted

So this is the third time ive woke up tonite because of the itchiness and I just had to break down and scratch surface so I can get some rest.   All day yesterday I had my wife slap my affected areas with a  frying pan to sting the areas and see if I could resist scratching.. I know it sounds funny but it worked temporarily..  I woke up at 3 am to apply calamine lotion all over the raised red itchy areas..  Its not so much as red because of the lotions ive been applying as it is itchy..  Its unbearable..     So tomorrow I'm going to ask to refill a prescription that I had when I got poison oak on my arm and that was the only thing that soothed the itchiness at that time.. 

Flouconozale 200mg pills..  

?not good for my organs but if it stops the itchiness I guess itll keep me sane for the time being..

• Posted

Hey Cory

You sure your not allergic to something? When does the itching happen? Yes try the desitin. The thicker the cream the better. Put alot on but just know not wear anything you love it will go through. Put it on at night. I really feel for you sad

• Posted

I mean its very possible that I am allergic to something but  how would I know?  I mean it has never been this bad.  But cold temperatures minimize the itchiness..   Also when I worked outside at work I didn't sit as much so it would only flare up for a day or two.. now I am a console operator and sit for 12 hours.  And that means I'm sitting on the area that flares up on my body.. If I am allergic to something then it would have to be on that specific area..  And the only thing I wear all the time is cotton underwear.. So unless I'm allergic to cotton then I don't see how my flared areas would be 24/7. Ive felt a little relief since taking flouconozale but I know I cant continue to take this medication on a daily basis..  Would I need to see a dermatologist if this continues or do I just try to rule out things that may be causing an allergic reaction? I beat myself so hard with a frying pan last night that my youngest girl started to cry and asking me to stop.. This is how miserable I have been..  

• Posted

Last night I slept from 8pm to 9:30pm..  woke up then went back to bed at 10:30pm to 4:00am. I felt great today.  Minor, minor pain but no itchiness.   So no scratching..  Areas looked like pinkish bumps but was very very light in color..  Today was actually 43 degrees though and cold weather makes a difference in my flare ups.. I do believe the flouconozale played a big part in this as I have noticed a positive change in the past as well but it is a very strong prescription is what I was told by the doctor.. I was desperate for pain relief though..  Just wanted to post an update..  

​Jennifer if you can message me at

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

There removing our e mail address so i cant see it let me make spaces and see what happens

jenn  tw  2000  @ a o l . com can you see that? But if you can its all the words together lol

• Posted

Hi Cory,

?I feel your pain.  Thank you for starting this so I could read all the replies.   I'm going to try some of the suggestions as well.   I had a titanium implant in my jaw and weeks later I broke out inside my nose and the back of my head.  Next was my butt.  That part is the worst!  The itch and burning is so intense at times I can't stand it. I waited 8 weeks to get into a dermatologist and when I did get in, I didn't even see a doctor.  Once the nurse came in and looked for one second at my skin, she said it was psoriasis, gave me some liquid stuff for my scalp, cream for my arm and a prescription for my butt.  She said that when I applied the medication to my butt that I should do it at night, wear underwear that I didn't care if they got ruined and a blanket under me cause it would seep onto my sheets and ruin them too.  needless to say, I did not fill that prescription.  If it's strong enough to ruin fabrics it just didn't seem too safe to apply to my skin.  I thought it might be an allergic reaction to my implant since I'm 55 and have never had the slightest symptom in the past.  I've been in very high pressure jobs travelling the world and at age 48 my Husband and I traded all that in for the purchase of a small business which is really fun and I work insurance on the side for extra money.  My stress level now is nothing.  I also get enough sleep every night.  So to make a long story short, I guess the dermatologist office thinks psoriasis doesn't warrant me seeing an actual doctor and was never afforded or graced with the presence of one.  They did some patch testing on my back to see if it was an allergy to titanium and that came back negative.  I still am not convinced.  It's the only thing in my life that has changed.  So now I've started having pain in my knee joints and back of my neck.  I made an appointment last week to see a rheumatologist and can't get in until July.  I'm thinking about having my implant taken out before they finish the process just to make sure it's not that.  My dentist thinks I'm nuts for even thinking it could be that.  Well, it's nice to at least write this down and know that others with the same pain, itching and fatigue are out there to talk to about it.

• Posted

Wow I did not think I'd find someone with nearly the exact same issue I have been in for the past 10+ years. I have had psoriasis on the back of my neck hair line since i was about 14, i noticed it on the inside of my left but cheek when I was about 19, I'm 26 now. My neck psoriasis has never really spread, but the one on my bum has been making life not so great.. exact same symptoms you are entailing, starts out dry and flaky which makes me want to itch, then it gets smooth, sore and turns into one big bump/welt. I've had many times where it has begun to leak puss and/or goood, and now it is spreading towards my anus, which is so terribly uncomfortable.

When I was 22 I first started to go and see my doctor about it because I was too embarrassed to talk about it to anyone. Once she had diagnosed it as psorisis she then prescribed me betamethasene which was a pretty damn strong steroid, which I learned was pretty bad to have been using down there because of how much more delicate things are down there. I was basically thinning out my skin for the psoriasis to come back and make it even more painful. So I returned to my doctor and asked for an alternative, and she gave me a protopic ointment, and another less strong steroid I cannot remember, they both did nothing, Infact the protopic made my anus burn. Following the last appointment I had scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist that was going to take 6 and a half months to get into. Somewhere inbetween those months my dad told me.he had the same thing in relatively the same area( just the top of his butt crack) and he had only applied cordizone when it flared up on him.

The past 2 ish years of my life haven't been to great, I can no longer do alot of walking when I'm treating the area with any creams due to sweat and chafing, it basically all just liquifies together and runs down my legs... I cannot sit for long periods of time anymore unless I sit up on the other buttcheek because it gets sore ( I'm thinking that's from using the steroid early on) .

Mentally it's pretty bad too.. I tried the idea that someone had mentioned in this thread about just accepting it and maybe it will get better if you keep treating it and get on with life, but the physical impairment of it in such an uncomfortable area makes me think about it constantly. I've take off months of work to try to just relax and treat it in Hope's of gaining some sort of control over it, but it just comes back as soon as I do something to flare it up. I feel depressed alot, because i cant do my job anymore due to the hot working conditions as well as 12 hour shift work, just makes me overall miserable.

My dermatologist has me doing uv light therapy once every 2 to 3 days now, it's just a quick 1 minute of standing in a tanning booth but I think its slowly making the area smaller at a very slow rate. However I've got to sleep now, did not sleep at all last night, I can update the story later or answer any questions you have

• Posted

If psoriasis creams as steroids, coal tar treatments like psoriasin at drug stores , light therapy laser therapy then ask your derm about the newer bio drugs that treat psoriasis from the inside. See bio drugs psoriasis. I have read of a lot of success stories from psoriasis control manage by bio drugs to help your plaques ..
    • Posted

Ok this is what I’ve found to get me through day by day.   And it works.     Occasionally I have minor itching but you can actually scratch and it relieve itch and not make it worse and have to continue to scratch.    I’ve been using the calamine pink bottle on the sensitive areas.   It makes a layer across it and keep from gettin dry and flaky.   I sometimes use cocoa butter Vaseline but have only been on calamine lotion for couple months now.     And I will settle for the results as sometimes I do get chaffing on hot humid days but I just apply calamine lotion more than twice a day when it wears off from hot humid days.   Try it.    It actually made the itchyness go away so kept me from scratching which is making it non existent.     None of the precriptiona were helping.    Get good about of calamine glob.    I put it on before bed and before I go to work.     Let me know.   Post back on here an update.  Give it a week.    Try 3 times a day at first.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.