PV and blood feels like it’s burning.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I’m new here. I was recently diagnosed with PV 3 weeks ago. I am so very uncomfortable my blood feels as if it’s boiling inside my skin. I’m not sure what to do. Can someone please help me. Thank you ??

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

you need to see a haematologist so they can treat you, by medication or some other treatment. Hope you feel better soon
  • Posted

Hello lauren,

Are you in UK and being treated by the NHS?

If so, have they done the test for the JAK2 genetic mutation yet? And if yes, have they said if it’s positive or negative?

How old are you (roughly)😉

What treatment have you been offered so far? Have they suggested aspirin and venesections or a drug?

I have primary PV (positive JAK2 result) and have been on aspirin and venesections for 2 years. I find when the time is coming round for another venesection that my feet seem to “fizz”. After the venesection they calm down again.

• Posted

Hi Angela thank you for responding to me. I haven’t been tested for jak2. I have an appt this Monday with my hematologist to test for it. I’ve been taking baby aspirin, unfortunately it’s not helping. My hemoglobin is elevated and so is my wbc. Any information that you have is helpful to me. Thank you so much 
    • Posted

The baby aspirin will be helping. Don’t stop taking it. Aspirin is a drug which stops the platelets in your blood from sticking together. The high haemoglobin count indicates that your blood is probavly thick and sticky. The aspirin will help to prevent clots that cause strokes etc.

The JAK2 test is just a simple blood test. Nothing traumatic. The only problem is that the results take quite a while to come through.  A couple of weeks, as I remember.

Monday will be round very soon and you can talk about your burning sensation then.

• Posted

Hello Lauren,

With so little information available it will be difficult to give you the answers you need.  Who did you see that gave you the diagnosis, was it your local doctor or did you attend a hospital.  Either way could you not contact them and relate your concerns for some medical advice.  It may be that your symptoms are not the result of your PV but of another condition.  PV is a very serious and rare disorder that requires expert opinions from the outset.  With this help available there are various treatments that can be administered but they are not usually given until you have been fully tested by a Haematologist who needs these test results to support you.   It is obvious that you need some advice quickly so I suggest you contact your doctor and seek an expert opinion.  There are a number of people on this forum who will be only too pleased to help you but without further information on your situation it will be difficult for them to offer a credible solution for you.  However, keep in touch if needed, I am sure something can be advised to ease your sufferings.  Best wishes.

Peter.

• Posted

Lauren - 

There are some very effective treatments to help alleviate your symptoms, but PV is different for every patient and so the treatment sometimes takes some trial and error to get the right mix. For some, the venesections are enough, others like me find Hydroxyurea (Hydrea) or other medications to be more effective.  Your Hematologist will help you through that process.  It is important to find a Hematologist who is familiar with PV - my first one  wanted to wait a year and see if my symptoms got worse before doing anything, I got a second opinion from an expert who immediately started me on treatment, and my symptoms improved almost overnight.

Bottom line - we all know it is hard to be patient with the process, but there is a light at the end of what may seem like a dark tunnel.

- Chip

• Posted

Hi Lauren. The burning sensation with PV is that we overheat easily. Often when I clean the kitchen my head sweats and drips down my neck. This is worse when my meds are not controlling the red blood count. Right now, I don't sweat when cleaning the kitchen   but do sweat excessively when cleaning my car. It seems the more intense the job, the more I overheat. I am not at my worst stage, so my blood count probably isn't too high right now. As soon as I was put on Hydroxyurea, a lot of my symptoms stopped or lessened. Hope you have the same results. Also, the blood draws,( venesections ) helped. Usually they only do the venesections, at first and eventually you will only need the meds. So far, I've lived a normal life. Best wishes, harrishill

• Posted

Hi Lauren, I've had PV for 14 years now. My only treatments are a daily baby aspirin and therapuetic phelbotomies, done every 2-3 months. I get the burning sensations in my head along with headache when I am over due for a phelbotomy. In fact, I've had the head burning sensations all week and I am going to have a phelbotomy today. This brings me relief. Something to think about as it does help me. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Lauren, I have had these hot sensations in my head, along with headaches when I am overdue for a therapuetic phlebotomy. I have had PV for 14 years now and the only treatment I receive is phlebotomies and a daily aspirin. So far so good. I wish you the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.