question

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

So I've been taking omeprazole for about 5 months now. It is working great with little side effects (20mg 1x a day). I do not want to take it long term so I thought about going down to 10mg but taking zantac with it. Has anyone ever tried this. I tried zantac alone but it never worked to calm my chest pains but thought I would give it another try. I hear zantac doesn't have long term complication like ppi's may. Any thoughts or suggestions???

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No I have not tried this .but I dont have pain in the chest.
  • Posted

I am not really qualified to advise you but can only sympathise.   I am on Lansoprasole 15mg and am on these for at least 3 months.   I must say that I am feeling better as far as the reflux is concerned and it has calmed it down , not gone by any means but these pills do have side effects.   I have the most annoying cough, sound like an asthmatic smoker but I do not have asthma nor have I ever smoked.     Coupled together with headaches and occasional tum trouble but have been told that these will calm down as well soon.   So before you go down the line of changing your meds, please please go and see the doctor because these darn pills are not to be played about with.
    • Posted

Thanks -I'm seeing my GI doc on July 9th to discuss this issue.
    • Posted

So pleased to hear that.   Mind you July 9th that is a long time to wait.
  • Posted

Hi, Zantac and omeprazole do different things, so depending on what you need it for Zantac will not work on its own. I have been on 40mg esomeprazole for 9 years and have not had any symptoms or problems, I also take upto 300mg ranitadine (zantac) without problems, I can manage on a lot less when things are good, you just need to give these tablets time to work and then when things are settled gradually reduce. I reduced from 40mg to nothing which was not a pleasent experience, worst acid ever. Good luck in July
    • Posted

Any more word on the article about the link to heart attacks? Did you discuss that with your doctor? Mine said he didn't hear anything about it.
    • Posted

Hi, I printed the article and showed my GP who looked a bit alarmed, but just said he would check it out. Not sure if you are in UK, I am and unfortunately do not always see the same GP. Back in November I went to get my repeat prescription to find that I had been reduced from 40mg to 20mg, without being told, panicking that I would not be able to cope or would just take 2 I made an appointment and saw a different GP who said they had proof that it can interferes with magnesium intake and that was why. But another GP in same practice put me back on 40mg!!. Anyway did try to cut down and was doing great until virus in January when all the other things started, chest pains etc so still taking 40mg.
  • Posted

Melatonin will help with the transistion.

Cheers

• Posted

I have heard that melatonin helps with reflux on dr. oz. He says to take 3mg for six weeks at night. Did you find that it worked? I don't know why but I was nervous about taking it.
    • Posted

It definitely helped me. I was taking it with a PPI but then I had to stop the PPI cold turkey for more tests. I was expecting the worst but nothing much happened, so I cancelled the tests. I'm pretty sure it was the melatonin that stopped the dreaded acid rebound;. I was getting acupunture at the same time so It's hard to be 100% definite. Acupunture really helps too, so maybe it was a combination.Lots of research into melatonin online. Melatonin helps tighten the oesophageal sphincter and lowers stomach acid.

luck

• Posted

What dosage and time of day do you take it - I'm giving it a try!!!
  • Posted

I had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with an hiatus hernia twelve years ago. I was given Lansoprazole 30mg and have to take one every day for the rest of my life. I do know when I’ve missed taking it because my indigestion and chest pain starts playing up.

• Posted

Yes I do get pain in my temple area, but I am on other medication so I'm not really sure what causes it. I do also get a dry mouth and dry eyes but I think that is caused by my Amitriptyline medication.

• Posted

Yes it could well be other factors ,    I have good days and bad days.    I do find it incredible that so many people are suffering from the same symptons.
    • Posted

Hi after 9 years on PPI's it wasn't until I stopped taking them that I realised all the symptoms I was having with them. Some people do need them, but other like me are taking them because they are worried how to cope without them. You do cope, unless of course you have something more than just reflux, there are other things out there which do not cause me headaches, dry mouth, dizziness, palpitations and tiredness. Too many people complain about these symptoms and there is a lot written by medical professional stating the same for there not to something in it. I know certain people on this forum say that driving a car is bad for you, everything can be bad for you. For me I have found a way to deal with my symptons in a different way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.