Quick questions!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I just recently found out I had IBS, I've started probiotics and I started a completely different diet plan. For three weeks I was in pain and had diarrhea but before this I was always constipated, so this diagnosis makes sense. But the weeks before going to the doctor I was actually dry heaving after every meal, sometimes I would even throw up the meal I just ate. Now starting ptobiotics and changing my eating habits I am still throwing up my food. Should I wait a few weeks and see if anything changes? I've read that vomiting isn't a normal symptom of ibs. Does anyone else have this issue? I dont know if I'm puking because the pain is making me physically ill or if it's because my body can't digest the food I'm eating properly. Does anyone have any tricks on how to stop the pain or make it better?

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Go to another doctor today
    • Posted

Because it doesn't really sound like IBS - nausea isn't normal, let alone having technicolour yawns. IBS seems to be the "go to" diagnosis for anything related to the gut that GPs don't understand.
  • Posted

Hi Trisha, I think it is the pain that's making you sick. I suggest you seek advice from a doctor ASAP.
  • Posted

If my bowel feels all tight and crampy like proper knotty I heave. If I take antispasmodics it stops it. I'm sick after meals containing any flavour, spices, tomato, onion, garlic etc. Hth x
    • Posted

I'm not puking a lot, its only bits of my meal, so I keep some of it down if that makes sense... If you eat something that triggers it how long does your pain/ or diarrhea last?
    • Posted

I have to b careful cos I'm lactose glucose and fructose intolerant! If I eat anything lactose related, it takes about 2/3 hrs and then I vomit till I empty my stomach and have diarrhea for about 4hrs, like I'm being flushed out with water!! It's pretty grim. If I get sick from eating overly spiced foods then I'm sick within about an hr sad
  • Posted

I was advised to drink a pro biotic drink twice a day morning and night....I also have bouts of nausea, and loss of appitate but I haven't actually been sick... I guess you are keeping a diary of what you eat....I haven't pinpointed certain foods that tigger mine off.... 

Although, i tried to stick to a gluten free diet and cut out coffee and it seems to help me... 

Maybe go to a different GP for further advice ..ESP if you are being sick, and loosing weight.

good luck 

• Posted

I'm not puking a lot, its only bits of my meal, so I keep some of it down if that makes sense... If you eat something that triggers it how long does your pain/ or diarrhea last?
  • Posted

Hi Trisha

Have you had any medical testing done. Ysually IBS causes nausea.

Any other symptoms?

Vivian

• Posted

I've had a blood test, urine test, and a cat scan done. I have diarrhea, dry heaving/ puking, and a lot of stomach pain/ cramps, I've also had a low grade fever for a while too
    • Posted

Hi

Did you have a stool test done? I think you should go back to the doctor. I am going to ask my doctor for one to see if I have any bacteria. By the way a question for you. Last year I had a CT scan of the abdomen for a female issue. Would this scan have picked up the colon area? Or is that a different CT scan.

Vivian

• Posted

I think u should ask for a hydrogen breath test, this is the test for bacteria in the gut. A fecal calprotectin test checks for inflammation in the stool. I have both of these and I'm being checked from crohns x
    • Posted

No I don't think so. I have small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (Google SIBO) they get u to drink a test solution then u regularly breath into a bag and the amount of bacteria in the gut is measured x
    • Posted

Tell me about it! Until last Nov I had IBS plain and simple. Now Ive had fecal calprotectin tests (showed high inflammation) Hydrogen breath test (my rate was 6x the norm and showed I have SIBO) lactose intolerant, colonoscopy, small bowel barium and last week a White Cell Scan! My consultant wants me to do the Pill cam but I don't really fancy it!!
    • Posted

With regards to ur CT question, I would imagine all of the lower abdo area would have been scanned. Obviously the best way to check the colon is a colonoscopy, have u had one??
    • Posted

Hi

O had one done last year and it showed IBS and diverticulosis. I was not having an episode at the time so diverticulitis was not confirmed. I don't know why I always gave chills?

Vivian

• Posted

Is that diverticulitis? What treatment did u receive? Ibs is diagnosed when nothing else is observed abnormal in the colon I believe x
    • Posted

I received antibiotics 3 times and once by intravenousin the past year. This last episode the antibiotics did not work. They made me really sick. Now drs are saying it could have been a bad bout of IBS. I am seeing a Surgeon in July.

Viviam

• Posted

It's so annoying that these things take so long to get under control. Good luck x
    • Posted

My doctor says it's hard to see the intestines and what not I had my cat scan because they thought it was my appendix at first... To see inside you would need to get that thing up your butt..... Sorry, I can't remember what it's called.
    • Posted

Also, I just got diagnosed about three days ago and my doctor told me it would take 3-4 weeks to see any improvement. So if I'm not better by then I have to get a colonoscopy and figure out what's really wrong. I'm just tired of being in pain and being scared to eat certain foods because it might make me sick. I'm actually afraid to leave the house because of it. I would love to go back to the doctors right away but my insurance didn't cover the cat scan and now I have to pay $5000 out of pocket which I dont have lying around. I just want to start feeling better!
    • Posted

I guess we are pretty lucky in the UK to have the NHS. That's a lot of money rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi

Sorry but I have to ask. It's a bit discusting but I thoughtvI saw a tapeworm in my stool today. Would this show up on a blood test or an ultrasound? I am kind if freaked out.

Vivian

• Posted

If u did have worms, they are easily treatable with a tablet from the pharmacy smile trust me, I work with children lol x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.