Raisins soaked in vodka?

Posted , 10 users are following.

My friend was telling me about soaking golden raisins in vodka helping with pain.  I would like to try it.  You soak them for two weeks and then eat 9 a day.

Has anyone tried this while on Methatrexate?  I am concerned about the alcohol.  I was told no drinking.  Thanks

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes but the golden raisins should be soaked in Gin not Vodka and it does work.

I have a friend on Metho for the past 5 years, she drinks but not of Friday when she takes her metho and not on the day she takes her Folic Acid either.

• Posted

Thanks,

I may give it a try.  As for drinking I was told no drinking but thought 9 raisins might not have much effect on the liver.  i do the metho weekly but the folic acid everyday.

• Posted

Yes be very concerned about not drinking alcohil while on methotrexate as they both involve possible damage to the liver which is wny liver enzgmes are checked.evedy 1 ti 3 monrhs while on mtx..although such a small amt of alcohol soaked in a raisin is not at like drinking it from a.shot glass. I would prob use.rum or gin and not.vodca.
    • Posted

Thanks I think I will give it a try unless the raisins absorb a ton of vodka or gin.  I am debating asking the Dr. or pharmacist first.  I was hoping maybe someone has already tried it.
    • Posted

I know why, just delete this post, I complete forgot about the website info.
    • Posted

Deb, put 'golden raisinns soaked in gin' into your search engine and read up on it.   It is probably an urban myth, but it does seem to work for some people and it is only 9 raisins.
    • Posted

Thanks, I did watch your link and also another one.  In the other one they said the amount of alcohol in the 9 raisins is about a drop so I will try it.
    • Posted

Realistically, soaking a dried shriveled raisin until plump 2 days, more accurately prob like 5 drops but still lower amt.
    • Posted

You are right and just in case I will spread the 9 raisins in 3 times.  I don't want to throw the liver values off.  This is for my shoulder tendinitis that the RA medicine has not helped.  Thanks
    • Posted

I wish you the very best. I have just begun getting pain in just one shoulder, and hkpe that it is just how I slept. I an thinking if this was due to RA, that I would feel this in both shoulders ..bilaterally like in my hands wrists. Can you let us know how this works out for you?
    • Posted

My RA started in both of my wrists and my right knee.  It was a feat just standing up.  The methotrexate has taken care of the knee and the wrists are more tolerable.  But the shoulder is same and both the Dr. And PA said it is not the RA.  I will let you know how the raisins work for sure.
  • Posted

Just a follow up on the golden raisins.  So far no difference.  I figure I will keeping having 9 a days until they are gone.  Another friend with bad elbows and knees is taking tart cherry pills so on to the next folk remedy.
  • Posted

Thanks for the raisin and gin/rum/vodka idea, sounds tasty.  I'm afraid to drink as well so i just have a cup of any new fruity drink every 2-3 months, spaced out. i take 3-4 ibuprofens and they take away the pain but definitely after a meal, so as to not upset my stomach. Oh btw I'm on Methotrexate 10 tabs 2.5 mg once a week, daily folic acid, sulfasalazine 500 mg twice a day, recently asked my doctor to take me off hydroxychloroquine it was giving my night terror and horrible thoughts, insomnia, my doctor also gave me prednisone for swelling but it does nothing for my pain, n im tired of this illness and they side effects.
    • Posted

Your story sounds a lot like me except the I haven't gotten to ten methotrexate and am still on the hydroxychoroquine.  I take naproxen with food at night.  I keep telling myself it could be worse.  I dislike the thinking hair more than any other side affects.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.