Raisins soaked in vodka?

Posted , 10 users are following.

My friend was telling me about soaking golden raisins in vodka helping with pain.  I would like to try it.  You soak them for two weeks and then eat 9 a day.

Has anyone tried this while on Methatrexate?  I am concerned about the alcohol.  I was told no drinking.  Thanks

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

thanks for reporting back on the raisin trial.

i tried special diet for 3 weeks without noticing improvement- probably should have stuck it for longer! Of all the ideas out there I think that has the most promise so might try again.

However ,I do have to say that what has helped most is having a biologic.i too am on methotrexate25 mg sulphasalazine ( 6 a day)and hydroxychloroquine but still had inflammation swelling and pain.they upped these to max dose ( yes I hate the hair thinning too) I have swallowed hard taking all these drugs( literally!!) but I ve thought to myself, they are prescribing this because it has worked on someone else and this is their best shot.

Are you in the uk? If so the guidelines say  if 2 DMARDS not working sufficiently( moderate to severe on DAS score) then they should consider biologic. Their aim should be to get you into remission.

I have so improved since starting mine that I now don't need painkillers and am also almost off prednisolone on a very slow taper.so would encourage you not to suffer in silence.

out of interest my RA started in 1 shoulder, then the other 3 months later, then to knees and finger and feet.. They thought it was tendonitis in my shoukder, but it wasn't as all that has improved with biologic.

• Posted

Hi. Reading your post with interest. What is biologic? I was diagnosed a year ago, in both elbows. Started on methotrexate and prednisolone. Didn;t do much whilst workign up to 8 metho per week, then went ot 10 and it caused severe stomch pain so came off it. Went onto sulphasalazine 7 weeks ago and worked up to 4 a day. They dont seme to be doing anything. My biggest frustration is understanding why I get flare ups maybe just in one elbow, maybe for a day or two every week or may be every two weeks. No idea what triggers it. Have my next appt with RA consultant next week to report back so wondering what he will suggest next.
    • Posted

Hi . Do you get pain and stiffness in fingers too or anywhere else ?My RA was in many joints, feet, knees, elbows, hands, shoulders. So when the usual meds didn't work enough I was put on a Biologic which tackles the auto immune response at cell level. The med is not in tablet form but injectable .but it s e pensive so the guidelines for use are if the RA is severe e and not helped by 2 DMARDS . 

Hope  you get some useful advice from your next appointment.

• Posted

I live in the US.  Their protocol is first the DMARDS and then on to the biologics.  It is a very frustrating disease because I look fine but the joints are not the same.  I am lucky in the sense that I was sent to a rheumatologist the first month and so far I am tolerating the medicines.  Except for the hair loss the medicine hasn't bothered me.  I would love to not take naproxen and other medicine for the pain though.  Wouldn't we all!?
  • Posted

Anyone have a clue why raisins in vodka could affect pain?
    • Posted

I had it wrong it is golden raisins soaked in gin.  The gin is flavored with juniper berries and the golden raisins have a sulfate.  So the combo helps some people.  I didn't see any difference big difference with my RA.  But I am only out the cost of a box of raisins and the gin to cover them.  Now I am trying tart cherry capsules.  This is more for my shoulder that is not RA, but tendinitis.  
  • Posted

For almost 15 years my grandma ate the raisins and vodka. She was very religious and never drank a day in her life. My uncle soaked them in vodka for 3 weeks. By the time she ate them, the alcohol didn't have any effect on her. She swore by it, and until she passed away, she ate the raisins . 3 to 4 a day out of a mason jar.

• Posted

I wish it had worked for me but I ended up needing a reverse shoulder replacement.  That worked great. Not for the RA though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.