Recently been diagnosed with folate and B12 Deficiency

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

Title pretty much sums it up, I have been diagnosed with B12 and folate deficiency. I was having issues with walking suspected plantar fasciitis however the physio asked for additional bloods as I was also having issues with my finger nails (beau lines). The results came back this week with the Deficiencies. I asked what had caused it as I eat most of the things that would give me B12 and folic acid but was told that it's one of those things that they aren't sure of. I have to have 5 injections starting next week and then another blood test followed by (if B12 is up to where it should be) folic acid tablets.

My sister also has B12 Deficiency but has good folate levels, she was lacking in something else she did tell me but its gone out of my head. So I asked the doctor is it hereditary to which I was told no it's not however my sisters doctor says it is (if you can shed any light on this id be interested). So now I'm at a loss.

My symptoms are other that foot and hip pain.. I have aching joints mainly legs and arms, wrists. I feel weak, my get up and go got up and left, I have trouble staying asleep. Concentrating is also a problem now

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi Jay,

I'm recently diagnosed with the same and am due my 2nd of 6 B12 shots in an hour. i wasn't told about taking folic acid but read up on it.

i have had pains in feet, hands and joints for years now, but put it down to wear and tear. foot pain has been so bad recently its affecting my mobility. same with pain in my hands. i feel beyond exhausted all the time and just want to sleep. im 54 and was told by gp that he looked through my notes and i have a history of very low folate levels. first id heard. maybe the pain im in could've been prevented if it was treated sooner.

i wish you all the best with your treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.