Recently diagnosed with Angina

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I had an angiogram on the 3 May and was prescribed Bisoprolol 2.5 mg, Atorvastatin 40 mg and aspirin 75 mg daily. I didn't have a stent inserted. Since the procedure and taking medication I have had a really heavy head, some dizziness and a painful neck. My doctor suggested stopping the statins for a week to see if they are causing the problem but I still feel the same. I have been taking 20 mg of Simvastatin for a number of years (Type 1 diabetic) and have never had any problem with those. Also, is it ok to do gentle swimming now? Look forward to hearing any suggestions. Thank you.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

could you ask your Doctor if you could stay on an increased dose of Simvastatin as you can tolerate it statins all differ so would be wiser to stay with the one you have had no broblems with. It could be the Bisoprolol that is causing the dizziness and pains in neck it's a Beta blocker and lowers blood pressure a lot.
    • Posted

Thank you Linda. Seeing doctor on Friday so I will ask her about that.  
    • Posted

no problem I take 40mg Atorvastatin with no problems but my husband can't take it I think the main issues with statins is muscle pain especially in the calves
    • Posted

Hi, had a good appointment yesterday with doctor. She has put me on 80 mg of Simvastatin which is equivalent to 40 mg of Atorivastatin. Still on 1.25 mg bisoprolol and aspirin. She explained why (a preventative re heart problems) so I think I am more clear about that now. Being referred to Physio re neck because she reckons that's anxiety etc re being in hospital etc. Have an apt this afternoon privately because I want that cleared up asap.  so here's hoping........... Anyone been on Simvastatin 80 mg? I was on 20 mg for a number of years with no problems.
  • Posted

Are you on diltiazem by any chance?If you were the recommended maximum dose for simvastatin is (or it was)20mg/day which was why I was switched to atorvastatin
    • Posted

Not on diltiazem Gillian. I presume you haven't had any problems with Atorvastatin?
  • Posted

Hi Loey,

I agree with Linda about the beta blocker lowering blood pressure. I had to lower my dosage of that bc I naturally have low BP anyway and I was getting dizzy. It really helped a lot when I did that. Also, you have probably changed your diet and lowered your salt intake. My dr told me this change can also make you light headed. Just make sure you're drinking plenty of water and ask exactly how many mg of salt you can have. When I was in heart failure mode, my dr had me lay flat on my back with legs straight up or on wall to increase circulation. This really helped when I had dizzy spells or was light headed. Stretching and mild swimming should be fine at this point but check with your dr first. Hope this helps!

Kimberly

• Posted

Thanks for that info. I normally have low bp or spot on both so I couldn't understand why I was on beta blockers. My cholesterol levels are fine also. Recently had my annual diabetes check.  All the replies will help me with Doctor's apt on Friday. Thank you.
    • Posted

Hi Loey,

If your blood pressure is normally spot on then it would be the BP lowering medication causing you the grief, perhaps you were put on it for circulation problems  since you mentioned you were diabetic ? Also being a diabetic that is probably why you have been put on the other medication as a preventitive measure perhaps ?

• Posted

Yes, I was wondering if the beta blocker was the problem. Seeing doctor tomorrow but to be quite honest I think I will just be told to stay on everything!  Thanks so much for your reply. Will let you all know how I get on.
  • Posted

Hello Loey, I am due for an angiogram in July.  Was yours taken from the wrist or groin and was it painful and how was your recovery time?  What did they say about the result? Did they say that your veins were 30 percent blocked or something like that, so stent was not necessary, only medication. What was your cholesterol figures and blood pressure to be given those medicines?  Would be helpful to know.  Thank you.
    • Posted

Hi 79620 ,

As a person tha's had a few Angiograms, it depends on the Cardiologist,  in their entry point, you will feel a slight prick, much the sams a needle, but that's about it, the procedure itself is not painful, however when they inject the dye you will feel a war sensation all over your body for a round 30 seconds,recovery time is  about 5 - 8 hours before you are back up on your feet, sometimes less, especially if they  went through the wrist, the only restriction is that you aren't allowed to drive for 48 hours after procedure. Usually the cardiologist will tell you then and there while doing the procedure, they wil show you what they find on the monitors. Where I am,  stenting is only done when an artery is generally 95% blocked but I have heard some are done at 85%. I have a 60% in the RCA and a 50% in the L.A.D , depends what they find before prescribing  medication .

Ohhh almost forgot they give you something to relax you prior to the procedure

• Posted

That should of been * feel a warm sensation *  for some reason this site is very slow in responding to typing.....lol...hence the amount of spelling mistakes
    • Posted

Hi 79620, Mine was from the wrist. I didn't feel any pain at all (and believe me, I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to things like this). Only a sensation of something going on in my arm but doctor is always there talking to you. I had a 50% blockage in the LAD so didn't require a stent. I only have results available for test I had on at the end of March prior to my apt at Diabetic Clinic. These were as follows: Total Cholesterol. 4.3; HDL 2.1, LDL 1.8, Triglycerides 0.8 mmols, BLood pressure, 126/77. After procedure I was prescribed 75mg aspirin daily, 1.25 mg Bisoprolol, and 40 mg of Atorvastatin. However the Atorvastatin was not agreeing with me so my doctor changed me to 80 mg of Simvastatin which is equivalent to 40 of Atorvastatin. Took first dose on Saturday and so far, so good. Good luck with your procedure in July. Recovery is quick. They tell you to take it easy for a few days. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.